Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Tech Ideas

Some multiplayer in FG's games will kill the style.
12-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Find
PvtLastClass Offline

Threads: 1

Well, I agree that the communication issue is difficult. I think the idea of allowing players to communicate using positional VOIP affects it pretty well; but it'd need a lot of prototype testing to see if it works.
12-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Plus there's the issue of really shitty mics and the twelve-year-olds that use them. You'd be able to hear them across the level and every monster would be alerted.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
12-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Website Find
Datashocker Offline

Threads: 0

(12-11-2010, 03:05 AM)Lee Wrote: Plus there's the issue of really shitty mics and the twelve-year-olds that use them. You'd be able to hear them across the level and every monster would be alerted.

That's why you only play with friends. It's not like there would be any matchmaking system.

The girlish scream that Daniel puts forth as he sees a disturbing event is enough to make my day.
12-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Find
Alex7754 Offline

Threads: 6

multilayer doesnt seem to be something that would really fit into frictionals current style. No killing stuff means hard work in trying to find something else to do in multiplayer. Id rather them use their resources to make a good single player then spend the time and money on multilayer.

still, If they could add some kind of feature like demon's souls which allows you to somehow non directly interact with other players (like the messages on the walls and floors or bloodstains from other players deaths, but the bloodstains wouldn't show you a repla like demon's souls, they would just be there), that would be pretty neat. again, not something I would ask them to put on there list of things to do in a game.
Same thing with the decals coming out of wine bottles and stuff. Its not exactly needed and if it doesn't really contribute to core game play, id rather them work on some other things which could do more to make the experience better.

What I want is some more AI and scares which don't rely so much on scripting. I wish there were some dynamic encounters where a monster would be patrolling from a floor above, hear you making noise, and come down the stairs to investigate, then leave and not just despawn but actually go back up stairs and do whatever thos things do when there not hunting you. (probably working on their tailoring skills, I noticed there skin suits aren't so fashionable)
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2010, 04:58 AM by Alex7754.)
12-11-2010, 04:57 AM
Find
Thingamajig Offline

Frictional Games; MAKE AN ONLINE CO-OP!!!

Just wanted to say thanks for giving us Penumbra and Amnesia, all of them are fantastic single-player experiences to a genre that was really, in my mind, dead.

I noticed that Amnesia: The Dark Descent allows players to import their own "stories" into the game, this got me thinking...

Wouldn't you agree that if this game where an online co-op, it would be bloody brilliant? Perhaps four players would be too much, but can you imagine playing through the original Amnesia storyline with another buddy or two for the first time?

Frictional could even release new QUALITY "storylines" as downloadable/purchasable DLC's too -- designed for a frightening multiplayer experience -- think of how much money could be made, and how much fun it would be Tongue. Everyone knows multiplayer games arn't really pirated much, especially successful ones. Plus, Amnesia is available on STEAM, so you're part of the way there!

I think walking down a spooky corridor -- lantern in hand -- with one or two buddies behind (or in front) of me would be freakin awesome Tongue, as well as puzzle solving and running away from freakish monsters.

I really hope they plan to make such a title in the near future, it would be foolish not to, you just know it would be a massive success.
12-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Frictional Games; MAKE AN ONLINE CO-OP!!!

You just invited yourself to 15 people telling you that it's a terrible idea and noone wants it and that there are already threads about it. i think it would be freaking amazing. With voice chat where you can only hear people if they're close to you. It would be great once you've already played through to get a new perspective on the whole thing!
12-20-2010, 03:52 AM
Website Find
davva Offline

Threads: 1

no, being alone creates more fear, if you and your friend needs to be in the same mood and be willing to role-play. it would be nice but it would brake the "I am" instead of "*protaganist* is"

and i can't see how they would make it a serious story with you and your friend yapping about and telling jokes, it just wouldn't fit.

no

12-20-2010, 04:38 AM
Find
Thingamajig Offline

(12-20-2010, 04:38 AM)davva Wrote: no, being alone creates more fear, if you and your friend needs to be in the same mood and be willing to role-play. it would be nice but it would brake the "I am" instead of "*protaganist* is"

and i can't see how they would make it a serious story with you and your friend yapping about and telling jokes, it just wouldn't fit.

no

I hear what you're saying. And sure some fear would be lost when you have a buddy or two to game with, but i still think it would be a fantastic multiplayer experience - especially if the puzzles are multi-player focused. Also, if you "friend" is yapping about unrelated stuff, they're obviously not as engaged as they should be in the game/task at hand, that would just be annoying - not all players are like that.

Perhaps a particular puzzle could involve seperating the players somehow, having to cooperate to complete puzzles in order to reunite? Also, to stop things from going stale, the devs could make monster encounters random (just not too common to make it tedious) - much like that in Left 4 Dead. Hell, perhaps even puzzles too to some degree.

I can also imagine players losing eachother when, mid way through a puzzle, a door suddenly bursts open and a monster appears on the scene, so everyone panics and scrambles to a hiding place xD

Just because it would be multiplayer based doesn't necessarily mean it has to be played out entirely with a teammate

The more i think about it, the more i believe Co-op would be brilliant. I also like Spooder's idea about the voice chat.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2010, 05:03 AM by Thingamajig.)
12-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Find
Adiane Offline

The idea of a multiplayer puzzle game in the same vein is interesting, but it would be severely out of place in Amnesia. The isolation and loneliness are part of the overall experience. With someone else beside you, and especially with voice chat, it would turn into a completely different game - so why not HAVE it be a completely different game.
12-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Find