Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43
RE: Frictional Games; MAKE AN ONLINE CO-OP!!!

As far as i know they have never made a online game before. Almost every company who makes an online game fails the first time, glitches, connection issues etc. They also dont have enough money to spend their time onthis either i would think. Do you seriously think they would get away with charging over 10 pound for just a little co-op? also a daniel character would need to be made and he would need animations. Also matchmaking and tons of coding would need to be done... this could take them a year so whats the point. I woudl rather they added it into their next game than postponing it.
12-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Find
MLK85 Offline

Threads: 0

Hey all, first time poster here. Registered just a minute ago because I like the discussion and I'd love to see a great co-op horror some day.

In my opinion, if you just build a singleplayer game and later add in the option for another person to walk along you will lose the atmosphere, and I think most people will just rush through the game. I remember playing Doom 3 (don't flame me for using doom as an exampleWink) on my own, and getting scared like hell sometimes. When I later played it with a buddy we just ran through the whole game without getting scared once.

I think multiplayer in this genre could really work though, but only if the whole game was based around it, so that you actually needed each other to survive and finish the game successfully. Or at least that you have a separate campaign for it.

A few ideas for implementing co-op in a horror game:

- Having only 1 person with a torch or flashlight, that way you will stay together. The other person should obviously also have something so that the one with the torch will stay with him, because we know how people can be.. (person with flashlight going 'lulz cya" while you get trapped in the dark)
- Implementing puzzles in dark environments where 1 guy is giving light while the other is solving the puzzle.
- Having a situation where 1 person is at the door looking for patrolling enemies, while the other is solving a puzzle or removing rubble and such from a room to get to an object.
- If you're wounded, you're slower. The person you are playing with is able to support you so that you can lean on him while walking together.
- Having your partner tend certain wounds where you can't reach it yourself.
- Let me boost you on top of that pillar, so that you can push a button.
- Being able to distract an enemy while the other person sneaks past.
- You can't make a co-op game without a platform puzzle, maybe one that requires one person to complete an "obstacle course" while the other one is controlling switches or something like that to help his partner out.
- The obvious one, if one person dies the other one is game over too.
- Having both of you needed to barricade a door or something like that.
- Maybe even making a puzzle like in Amnesia where you have to mix fluids, having one person drill while the other holds a pot under it.
- No cutscenes that you can skip, if you allow skipping people will not be immersed in the story and atmosphere enough.

I can go on with examples until tomorrow but lets leave it with these ideas Wink

The problem with all of this is that it will be highly unlikely that you can successfully do this with a random person.
You'll either have to find someone on a forum, or have one of your friends play along. There will of course always be games where you group with a random person and actually have a blast while playing, but you can't count on that to happen all the time. It also gives problems when one person has to leave, since it is a random person you don't know there is a possibility you won't be playing again, leaving you to either try again from the start with another random, or join in with someone that is later in the game. With a story driven horror game that is something you do not want.
Having a bot replace the other person is always an option, but this can give you headaches when the ai is fucking with you.

Hope this wall of text made some sense, and if it didn't, or you didn't like the ideas, please don't flame me! Angel
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2010, 11:48 PM by MLK85.)
12-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

What about something like an "AI Director"?

Say the second 'player' can fly through the map, observing your progress, trigger events, spawn monsters, play with physics objects, toggle lights... it would add more randomness to it, if it was overdone though you'd get used to the idea that it's someone controlling everything. Of course there would have to be some limit to this to make sure they won't just be a dick and spawn 5000 chairs in between you and where you need to be.

Can't help but think it wouldn't work unless the person thought they were playing SP. An idea anyway.
12-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Find
Mman235 Offline

Threads: 3
Information  Multiplayer mod idea

If theres any way to make a multiplayer mod i was thinking of a humans vs monsters type thing.

Humans
Advantages:invisible in the dark and silent while crouching
Disadvantages:cant attack
ObjectiveConfusedurvive a time limit

The humans would be able to sneak the same way you do on the game and they become almost invisible to in the dark to monsters and other humans can see each other through walls and other stuff kind of like the left 4 dead thing and there objective is to survive a time limit

Monsters
Advantages:can attack
DisadvantagesConfusedlow
Objective:kill all humans

The monsters would have to have a 10 second time before they could try and find the humans they act mostly the same as the ones in the actual game like having to break down doors and attacking humans and there goal is to kill all the humans in a time limit

so thats my idea for a multiplayer amnesia type mod comment if you like it or dont either way hope you do like it lol Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2010, 10:56 PM by Mman235.)
12-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Find
JokeDindon Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Multiplayer mod idea

It is a good idea but it would require a team to do it. I don't think the engine can stand such features sorry to say... but the idea is indeed interesting. The game mechanics which repose on puzzle would be somewhat problematic though... don't you think?

My custom story: Legacy of the Past it's right here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-5886.html
12-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6

This has been discussed numerous times before. As JokeDindon said, the game simply cannot do multiplayer.
12-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Find
Mman235 Offline

Threads: 3

(12-25-2010, 12:42 AM)Tenacious Wrote: This has been discussed numerous times before. As JokeDindon said, the game simply cannot do multiplayer.

yea i thought so
(12-24-2010, 11:33 PM)JokeDindon Wrote: It is a good idea but it would require a team to do it. I don't think the engine can stand such features sorry to say... but the idea is indeed interesting. The game mechanics which repose on puzzle would be somewhat problematic though... don't you think?

but i meant like just survival type maps with lots of room and stuff
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2010, 01:12 AM by Mman235.)
12-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Find
house Offline

Threads: 11

I'm sure the player monsters would just walk into the dark spots and hiding places. Thats for sure.
12-27-2010, 06:42 AM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

It wouldn't be fun, in my opinion. Amnesia is singleplayer only, and that is perfect. Smile
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Find
Som1Lse Offline

Threads: 9

@threadstarter:
The engine has simply zero functions for multiplayer.
If you really wanted to add this, you would have to edit the engine itself, which is first of all really hard, and second of all illegal.
So yeah not going to happen.

@everyonesayingitsucks:
That would depend on how it was implemented.
Sure it wouldn't fit the Amnesia storyline, but this idea isn't about a new story. but simply just a new way of playing.
And survival horror can still be survival horror with multiplayer.
Minecraft for example. ;-)
12-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Website Find