Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
NyteMyre Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Amnesia should have CO-OP... ;P

@Tanshaydar, are you really a supermoderator? Because you're attitude sucks. We get that you don't like the idea, now stop crying about it.

In any case, Amnesia co-op could work. But only if there are 2 human characters. The humans vs monsters-concept would probably never work, especially if you try to create a horror scenario. In the end, players will probably try to be good as monster/human and it will ruin the atmosphere.

Kinda referring to the Half Life mod "The Hidden: Source". In this game, you have a team of special forces fighting against a single invisible and agile monster. Now this mod is fully multiplayer and has some potential to be really scary. If the person who plays the monster does some immersion like throwing objects, making scary noises and hanging dead bodies on the ceilings, it can be a great scary round. But this is rarely the case as the monster will probably try to win as fast and 1337 as possible.

Now on 2-human co-op. I think the only way to keep the Amnesia feel is to keep both players isolated, but need each others help. Like a lever in Players 1 room opens door in Players 2 room. And
05-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

People can disagree with you, even when they're mods. Plenty of people think it's a bad idea, this thread is for discussing co-op, both for and against.
05-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Find
KavazovAngel Offline

Threads: 13

(05-26-2011, 07:32 AM)Scraper Wrote: Why is it that these days every released game HAS to have some kind of multiplayer?

Well said. Smile Single player games offer richer experience.
05-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6

The thought of co-op in sickening. What's wrong with singleplayer games nowadays? Is it so boring that you need someone else to play with to make it "more fun"?

If you beat the game, beat it again. Go slower; take the time to appreciate the surroundings.
05-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Find
Modular100 Offline

Blergh, NO! Amnesia is a game based on isolation and being alone in the dark. It would spoil the entire thing if we went from being alone to 'online in the dark'.

05-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Find
Skandis Offline

I think co-op is pretty silly.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though is some first person spectator mode.
A lot of skype conversations just to share the fear has been popping up, and it'd elimate the whole "so where are you now bro" question that keeps popping up.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM by Skandis.)
05-30-2011, 07:02 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

^ Not a bad idea.

I still think that if single player was great, having co-op added wouldn't magically make the game worse. You wouldn't be forced to play it, so the argument would be a bit superfluous. Obviously, single player will always be better in this type of game. However, I have played Amnesia subsequently with one or two other people in the room. It is fun to play, encounter a few surprises, and discuss the story. Not as scary, but it is a different experience. Anyway, one thing I would hate to see if it did exist is any situation where a human player is playing as a monster. *facepalm*
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM by gandalf91.)
05-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Find
Redeemer Offline

Threads: 2

Um, no. Just "no." Never, ever, ever, and absolutely not. Multiplayer in Amnesia is a very bad idea.

Multiplayer is good for games that do not concentrate that much on horror (Dead Space 2, which was not scary and was actually a very stupid game.) But for games like Amnesia, it would completely kill the magic and ruin the fun. Think about it: you're walking along with your friend, and then your friend shouts "Oh Noes! Monstars!" so he runs off to hide and you're kind of like "Lol wut?" because you didn't hear anything, and then the monster finds you and kills you. Then either one of two things happen:

1. You float up from your body as a spectator. That completely ruins the effect of dying in the game. It takes you out of the moment and makes you realize, quite forcefully, that this is a game and that you should be watching it and just having fun. But that takes all of the fun out of it!

2. You respawn at the start of the level. This is even worse, because it provides a feeling of invincibility. You don't need to be afraid of the monsters, they just send you back to the start of the leve.

You see, Amnesia is only fun when it's not trying to be fun. Multiplayer is only fun when it's made to be fun. Why then would you combine these two things? They cancel each other out and ruin the fun!

(I used the word "fun" two different ways throughout this argument. See if you can decode it without getting confused.)

05-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Website Find
gandalf91 Offline

^ Lol...I just made the point that having multiplayer in the game does not mean you HAVE to play it.
05-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

Oh god are we starting this Multiplayer crap again? Amnesia was not made for COOP, End of story.
05-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Find