Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra: Overture crashes at very end of the game.
HarshlyCritical Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Penumbra: Overture crashes at very end of the game.

I just got Red's Key, cut off the electricity and clicked on the glowing door to what I assume is the last map in the game. Wouldn't you know it, I get an error and the game crashes. I've tried deleting settings.cfg, loading an earlier save, nothing seems to work. It's frustrating, because the game has worked fine the entire playthrough, but it crashes at the very end...

Updated graphics card/sound card drivers very very recently.

Anyway, here are the deets:

Windows 7 Home Premium
64-bit
Desktop
ATI Radeon HD 7850
AMD Phenom II X6

hpl.log attached.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 5.94 KB / Downloads: 126)
05-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Penumbra: Overture crashes at very end of the game.

Oh no! Why did you break this, I'm watching this one! D: Must feex!

If you got it on Steam, perhaps try running a file integrity check. If you're not sure of how, right click the game, go to the "Local Files" tab, and pick "Verify Integrity of Game Cache".

Also, try turning off Post Processing Effects in the Graphics options. It's saying something about Post Effects in the log.

(I'm not a pro at this, but it's worth experimenting!)
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013, 05:37 AM by Statyk.)
05-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Penumbra: Overture crashes at very end of the game.

Corrupted files. Do a file integrity check at statyk said if the game is from steam. Otherwise, reinstall.
05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Find
HarshlyCritical Offline

Hey Statyk! Never fear, I'll get this fixed.

Unfortunately, I bought the Penumbra Collection on Amazon, not Steam. I tried turning off everything "Advanced" under Graphics (I think that included post-processing) because I saw it in another thread, but it still crashed.

So reinstall? Do I have to do anything special to preserve my save file?
05-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

I don't think it would delete any saves as those are in your documents folder. You can make a backup of it if you want. But yes, re-installing should work the same.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013, 04:34 PM by Statyk.)
05-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Find
HarshlyCritical Offline

Alright, I reinstalled and it crashed at the same place.

I noticed that during my install, it stopped at two places and claimed that there were "corrupt source files." I think both of them were textures, not sure. I hit "Retry" over and over again before giving up and clicking "Ignore". Now that I think about it, I think I remember this same thing happening on my first install two years ago.

Sigh. I've had this problem with another game I bought on Amazon, Alice: Madness Returns. I had to download the installer over and over and over from Amazon until I got one that didn't have corrupted files. Except that never happened, because different files were claimed to be "corrupted" each time, so finally I just gave up and bought it on Steam when it was on sale.

I guess I will try to download a brand-new installer from my "Amazon Games Library" or something. Not sure what else to do if it's true that the SOURCE files in the installer are indeed "corrupted."

EDIT: Looking at the hpl.log again now. The final line is - "ERROR: Couldn't texture 'base_entrance_concrete_old_bump.jpg'"

This was the same texture that it claimed was "corrupted" in the install. One of them, anyway. The other one was dirty_water.jpg or something like that.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2013, 04:44 AM by HarshlyCritical.)
05-09-2013, 04:42 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Your download must not be corrupted. Try downloading the installer from another browser or computer.
05-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Find
HarshlyCritical Offline

Re-downloaded, re-installed and was able to finish. Thanks!
05-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Heard you had to do it 3 times. lol Well, glad you got it fixed. Big Grin

PS, I see your lineup has Silent Hill 3 in it. Yisssss.
05-13-2013, 05:08 AM
Find