Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Does perma death make a game more frightening?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
29 33.33%
No
54.02%
47 54.02%
Don't know
12.64%
11 12.64%
Total 87 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Does Perma Death make a game scarier?
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Does Perma Death make a game scarier?

If you're properly immersed, you're not going to think like "Ok i can die i won't lose progress anyway Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin"

Too me, perma death was just annoyance and frustrating. I was so immersed while playing the original that the "Its just a game, i won't lose anything if i die" never came up to my mind

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
06-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-27-2013, 09:28 PM)Dogfood Wrote: If you're properly immersed, you're not going to think like "Ok i can die i won't lose progress anyway Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin"

Too me, perma death was just annoyance and frustrating. I was so immersed while playing the original that the "Its just a game, i won't lose anything if i die" never came up to my mind

Exactly the point I was trying to make. You can literally make the: "Oh there is no consequence for dying" argument for anything you can think of. Problem with that argument is that there is never any real consequence for dying in a video game. The worst that can happen is you lose time, but that is a meta-game concept that has no bearing on immersion. If you're thinking: "Fuck! I don't want to die because then all of this would be pointless and all my progress would be lost", are you really more afraid of the game itself?
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

Agree with this. To be afraid of what happens after death is a simple proof that you're not immersed (at all). It's remembering yourself that you're playing a game.
06-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

Threads: 0

I think the nature of the actual death itself should be the source of fear. Not what happens after it.

I remember the facehugger death in the first AVP...
06-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Justine did make me consider my actions more carefully, and made me more afraid of getting caught, but the loss of life near the end made me stop wanting to play.

So, yes and no.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
06-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Find
Wapez Offline

Summary:
In a long, story based "atmosphere" game such as Amnesia, perma death kills the feeling of being inside the game (assuming that you die at least once). Or at least inside the story, which I would like to claim is the most important part for a horror game.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
06-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(06-27-2013, 03:32 PM)skyhawk02 Wrote: There has been a rise of permanent death in games lately. A new horror game, Routine, is going to have perma death.

My question is does perma death make a game scarier? I am not sure on the answer, my feeling is this: perma death makes the players more scared of losing but less scared of the gameworld and monsters if that makes sense.

Obviously length of the game plays a factor here as well. i don't know, I'm having trouble figuring out my thoughts on it, thats why I'm turning to you guys. Should horror games use perma death? Just for fun I'll put a poll up as well if I can figure out how to do it.

It said it would have a perma death system... And since it's a game and not something short like justine (i hope anyway) im thinking that it would bee something like, restart the level that your on, instead of having a bunch of checkpoints.

As for the topic at hand, permanent death makes a game scarier to me. Chase scenes have never scared me in the original amnesia. Never once. However in justine i was scared to death!!!

06-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-28-2013, 12:09 AM)WIWWM Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 03:32 PM)skyhawk02 Wrote: There has been a rise of permanent death in games lately. A new horror game, Routine, is going to have perma death.

My question is does perma death make a game scarier? I am not sure on the answer, my feeling is this: perma death makes the players more scared of losing but less scared of the gameworld and monsters if that makes sense.

Obviously length of the game plays a factor here as well. i don't know, I'm having trouble figuring out my thoughts on it, thats why I'm turning to you guys. Should horror games use perma death? Just for fun I'll put a poll up as well if I can figure out how to do it.

It said it would have a perma death system... And since it's a game and not something short like justine (i hope anyway) im thinking that it would bee something like, restart the level that your on, instead of having a bunch of checkpoints.

As for the topic at hand, permanent death makes a game scarier to me. Chase scenes have never scared me in the original amnesia. Never once. However in justine i was scared to death!!!

It's only 3 hours long or so though, according to the developer.
06-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I personally prefer the Permadeath. But my only complaint is when it's not an option. Permadeath should be a choice a player wants to pick, not forced upon. When you boot up the campaign, it should give you the option of permadeath or not. You open the game up to BOTH audiences, right there. I don't understand why doing this type of thing never happens in a development team... It's just common sense, right?
06-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Find
Wapez Offline

I guess you have a point Statyk.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
06-28-2013, 01:31 AM
Find