Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
The Four Horsemen - Released!
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: The Four Horsemen - Released!

This got a pretty good rating. Perhaps I'll give it a shot sometime to prep myself for AMFP. =P Haven't played a cs in awhile.
09-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Find
Chap Offline

Threads: 16

Yeah, we've had a lot of great feedback so far. Everyone has said it's been a good, unique experience - If you do decide to play it, I hope you enjoy it =)

[Image: 20643.png]
09-07-2013, 02:30 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Can you upload it to mediafire? Because the moddb site won't let me download.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2013, 06:04 PM by i3670.)
09-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

loving it so far.
09-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Finally got to play it and I don't know, didn't leave an impression. As far as I can tell the only thing this CS has is map design and some decent voice acting. The atmosphere wasn't really scary or creepy, or maybe that's just me. Not really disturbed by dead bodies, giblets and blood. To be honest I was kinda bored playing it.

However, the map design was excellent. Together with some atmosphere and some proper scares it would've been a masterpiece.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
09-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I just beat the mod today, and I have to say it's really quite something! Here's my review.

The review will contain LIGHT SPOILERS in talking about a bit of art direction.

Mapping/Setting:

The mapping starts off fairly standard...nothing too out of the ordinary in what you'd see in most custom stories, but when you get to the second half of the story I have to say the art direction is some of the best I've seen in a custom story.

The last two thirds of the story have you scouring each of the four horseman's domains. Each one has a specific theme, and for the most part masterfully depicts it. My personal favorite was Famine's chamber, but all of them have their own unique charms as well as outstanding level design, and mapping.

As for "technical" mapping however, there are quite a few noticeable mapping errors such as clipping textures, and entities.

Scares/Atmosphere:

Scares are in my opinion a lower point of the mod. It probably is just my hardened Amnesia soul not responding, but I was rarely in this mod genuinely scared at all.

Some parts of the mod, especially the earlier areas would benefit greatly from there being some more ambiance.

I can tell however lots of effort has been put into the scares, and atmosphere...some of which is quite creative so even if I personally wasn't scared by any of it I can still notice a "scary" custom story when I see one if that makes sense.

Storytelling:

Storytelling I feel is a lost opportunity in this mod. You get to know who your main character is as well as a couple of relationships, but that's pretty much it. I wish there had been some more characterization, or ANY characterization at all to better shape the characters, and the world. Most of this falls flat due to having little to no character moments at all in the mod to make it more interesting.

There are also a bit of logic inconsistencies when it comes to some stuff happening as well as the layout of rooms, and items.

Also the storyline of the mod while I understand what it is I have to do much of it after a while felt too fetch-questy for my taste. Without proper pacing in certain segments it can quickly feel tedious although the insanely good art direction, and puzzles were enough to save the custom story from such a fate.

Gameplay/Puzzles:

Almost all of the puzzles were really interesting as well, and quite creative. Many of them also will focus around each horseman's specific theme, and even if some are quite easy the freshness of the puzzles more than makes up for it.

Technical Issues:

All throughout the mod I only ran into one bug:

Spoiler below!
In the war chamber where you find all the shards of war's orb you can hear a girl's voice talk when you enter the room. Repeatedly entering the room will keep causing the voice to say the same line again.

Also there are a few mapping errors in form of clipping textures, and entities.

Verdict: While the story, and actual scares are not amazing by any means the insanely good art direction, puzzles, and certain gameplay aspects makes this mod a must see 8.7/10

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Find
Chap Offline

Threads: 16

A very nice full review. Even though we tried hard with all aspects, I agree with your negative points here. I think like you said we could have spent more time creating more scares (or perhaps not so much more scares but more physical threats). I'm very pleased you enjoyed the art direction and puzzles! As you can probably tell, this is the main thing we wanted to stand out - Thankfully most people seem to have picked up on that too.

We're very grateful for you putting the time in to review our mod. Hopefully we can improve on our weak points if we chose to make a second mod. Thanks =)

[Image: 20643.png]
09-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-08-2013, 03:36 PM)Chap Wrote: A very nice full review. Even though we tried hard with all aspects, I agree with your negative points here. I think like you said we could have spent more time creating more scares (or perhaps not so much more scares but more physical threats). I'm very pleased you enjoyed the art direction and puzzles! As you can probably tell, this is the main thing we wanted to stand out - Thankfully most people seem to have picked up on that too.

We're very grateful for you putting the time in to review our mod. Hopefully we can improve on our weak points if we chose to make a second mod. Thanks =)

And thank YOU for making this great piece of work! ^^

I swear if you make another mod with just as good art direction, and puzzles, but with a deep story complete with interesting characters as well as a better paced story beyond orb fetch-questing then you would have made literally the greatest 11/10 custom story of all time...even better than the original Amnesia Big Grin

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Find
CyrustheVirus73 Offline

Threads: 0

I really liked this CS. It took me well around 2 hours to complete.
The puzzles weren't too hard, and the whole time, I was pretty nervous a monster was gonna break through a door or something.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 05:45 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Find
Cyfiawn Offline

Threads: 8

(09-13-2013, 11:35 PM)CyrustheVirus73 Wrote: I really liked this CS. It took me well around 2 hours to complete.
The puzzles weren't too hard, and the whole time, I was pretty nervous a monster was gonna break through a door or something.

Thanks for playing! Glad that you were nervous of monsters the whole time. That's the kind of horror we know and love from Amnesia, and glad it translated well into our mod. Smile

The Four Horsemen - Custom Story
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-four-horsemen
09-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Find