Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Improve the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yeah!
20.83%
20 20.83%
Nah lets forget about the game..
29.17%
28 29.17%
No, it's fine the way it is! (added by pluto)
50.00%
48 50.00%
Total 96 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 52 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Disappointed with AAMFP
slo64 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: How they ruined the game

(09-13-2013, 07:14 PM)zico Wrote: Man, I wasn't planning on offending someone. Just trying to encourage one to go with an open mind.

If you did and you still don't like it - that's too bad. And you are right on expressing that opinion. Especially right to express it here cause I think FG will consider that with the next game.

Heck if the engine changes of AAMFP are transferred to the TDD engine (If I didn't read that wrong) I could imagine at some point someone will release a CS based on AAMFP correcting the unwanted changes. Who knows maybe that will be the first DLC (HINTHINT: Free like Justine).

(I did play Borderlands before buying it, hehe)

What brings me here is my frustration about my misjudgement.
I had ATDD and Penumbra experience and thought it was great. So I trusted FG.
I've walked through Dear Esther and liked it - as a demo - And thought: "Gee, let's see if the guys could create a real game! It should turn out great!"
I've watched the halloween trailer, and it was awesome.
They promised to throw something in instead of tinderboxes and I became intrigued.
Thus I've made my mistake - I preordered it.

And then I got this artsy non-game thing. And still liked everything about it, except that it felt incomlete.

Now that I think about it AAMFP looks just about ready for the game designer to come and put some gameplay in it. (So I have high hopes for the modding community). But gameplay is hard and takes a long time and TCR obviously did not have the experience required and the game was late... And so it has come to this.

And now I think that it should be written everywhere in big letters:
Guys, it isn't a game. This is a linear interactive story with cool visuals. Mind that before buying.

Seriously: write this and you'll get a lot less complaints. Warn others. This will be better for everyone. This will be better for AAMFP too.
09-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Find
Physix Offline

Not a sequel to TDD (no spoilers)

Seriously disappointed in this game. The game itself is not bad. Great story, voice acting, graphics, game mechanics etc. However I would not call it amnesia for it does not have nearly the same level of fear associated with AMFP as TDD has. I was expecting to be horrified and paly for 10 minutes at a time like TDD. Nope could play for a couple hours with the scariest part being solving the next "puzzle." TDD had that atmosphere where opening every door was a challenge itself and the use of the lantern and tinderboxes provided a fear itself if you ran out of oil or tinderboxes. All the waiting and anticipation for an even scarier game than TDD was all that kept me from being pissed off for the delays. Turns out the delays may have ruined what had the potential to be the scariest game on the PC. I know this thread will get negative ratings but im just throwing in my 2 cents. Please frictional games do another indie horror game and bring back the true fear of playing a game worthy of the Amnesia title.
All in all I would take a refund if I could get it.
AMFP 3/10
TDD 9/10
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 08:40 PM by Physix.)
09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(09-13-2013, 08:27 PM)slo64 Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 07:14 PM)zico Wrote: Man, I wasn't planning on offending someone. Just trying to encourage one to go with an open mind.

If you did and you still don't like it - that's too bad. And you are right on expressing that opinion. Especially right to express it here cause I think FG will consider that with the next game.

Heck if the engine changes of AAMFP are transferred to the TDD engine (If I didn't read that wrong) I could imagine at some point someone will release a CS based on AAMFP correcting the unwanted changes. Who knows maybe that will be the first DLC (HINTHINT: Free like Justine).

(I did play Borderlands before buying it, hehe)

What brings me here is my frustration about my misjudgement.
I had ATDD and Penumbra experience and thought it was great. So I trusted FG.
I've walked through Dear Esther and liked it - as a demo - And thought: "Gee, let's see if the guys could create a real game! It should turn out great!"
I've watched the halloween trailer, and it was awesome.
They promised to throw something in instead of tinderboxes and I became intrigued.
Thus I've made my mistake - I preordered it.

And then I got this artsy non-game thing. And still liked everything about it, except that it felt incomlete.

Now that I think about it AAMFP looks just about ready for the game designer to come and put some gameplay in it. (So I have high hopes for the modding community). But gameplay is hard and takes a long time and TCR obviously did not have the experience required and the game was late... And so it has come to this.

And now I think that it should be written everywhere in big letters:
Guys, it isn't a game. This is a linear interactive story with cool visuals. Mind that before buying.

Seriously: write this and you'll get a lot less complaints. Warn others. This will be better for everyone. This will be better for AAMFP too.

It is a game.
09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers)

@Janakev:

1. TCR used the linearity well, FG gave you an illusion of non linearity that at first added to the atmosphere (''oh FUCK, i left something behind'' quickly turned into ''oh fuck me, i left something behind, sigh").

2. TDD was shallow to me. It was a well done scarefest, not trying to say it wasn't a good game at its base, but it was shallow and uninteresting. Penumbra offered nice puzzles, nice scares and atmosphere and a narrative that kept getting more and more interesting (and even had me feelings emotions besides fear) and then the great finale. TDD was just a scary game for the sake of it being scary. I respect the opinion of people who prefer that to something a little deeper but come on. Don't denigrate what TCR did (not talking about you personally) just because you wanted more traditional scares and didn't care for the incredible atmospheric and cerebral fear.

3.Horror stories aren't supposed to spell out everything to the reader.

4. AMFP had its jumpscares but it focused on the more atmospheric and cerebral fear. TDD was about the atmosphere, jumpscares and the chase sequences.

5 First, TCR's writing is excellent and it fits the era. I wouldn't deduct ''points'' off for being true to the era. Second, their writing was excellent. I dislike it when writers speak a lot of shit and put on airs of smugness; never felt that once in AMFP so far. You have the words of an educated man (just like Lovecraft's, go back and compare Lovecraft's protagonists and how the simple folk around them spoke) who quite obviously has an interest in science, exploration and discoveries. He's also quite intelligent and disturbed.

Daniel for me, like i've said before, was an uninteresting character. I didn't see any character redeeming action from him. He was as interesting as a plank and was irritating at times. Mandus is a vile, disgusting man with passion and belief. He's intelligent enough and strong willed enough to want to make a change in the world. Shame he goes about it the wrong way and is insane in the membrane (yes, this reference made me cringe too haha).

Mandus is arrogant and very proud. Daniel was desperate but followed the instructions of a ''man'' who clearly wasn't a saint. I like the fact that Mandus' insanity, crimes and sins he did on his own, not persuaded by some silly person. I see no redeeming trait for Daniel, he's not even interesting, at least Mandus was better written and interesting.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 11:12 PM by Cuyir.)
09-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Find
gremstein Offline

Threads: 2

(09-13-2013, 08:31 PM)Tiger Wrote: It is a game.

In it's most basic form, I guess. It's a shell of a game compared to TDD and the Penumbra games.
09-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

RE: Not a sequel to TDD (no spoilers)

It's called "Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs" because it is set in the same universe as "Amnesia: The Dark Descent".

That'll be like complaining that Mario Kart shouldn't be called Mario Kart because it's not a platformer. Or complaining that Metroid Prime shouldn't have had "Metroid"in the title cause it was in first person and-

>Wait

>People actually complained about this very reason in Metroid Prime?

>Well lookie here.

Dearie me.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 08:43 PM by Cuyir.)
09-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

In any case this should have been posted in the Member Reviews thread, the reason is it exists is so there aren't hundreds of threads like these.

09-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Find
slo64 Offline

(09-13-2013, 08:31 PM)Tiger Wrote: It is a game.

Imagine a chess game, where you can only press "move" button to move pieces and cannot choose which one to move and where - would you still call that a game? Would you still think that you are the one playing it?
09-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Find
XDamienDaKillaX Offline

Threads: 2

(09-13-2013, 08:31 PM)Physix Wrote: Seriously disappointed in this game. The game itself is not bad. Great story, voice acting, graphics, game mechanics etc. However I would not call it amnesia for it does not have nearly the same level of fear associated with AMFP as TDD has. I was expecting to be horrified and paly for 10 minutes at a time like TDD. Nope could play for a couple hours with the scariest part being solving the next "puzzle." TDD had that atmosphere where opening every door was a challenge itself and the use of the lantern and tinderboxes provided a fear itself if you ran out of oil or tinderboxes. All the waiting and anticipation for an even scarier game than TDD was all that kept me from being pissed off for the delays. Turns out the delays may have ruined what had the potential to be the scariest game on the PC. I know this thread will get negative ratings but im just throwing in my 2 cents. Please frictional games do another indie horror game and bring back the true fear of playing a game worthy of the Amnesia title.
All in all I would take a refund if I could get it.
AMFP 3/10
TDD 9/10

... what you said about the game does not justify a 3/10..... This is what I got from you.

Pros about AMFP:
Great Story
Great Voice Acting
Great Graphics
Great Game Mechanics

Any game that is great in those areas (aside from voice acting, it isn't too much of a big deal) is a great game. You don't get many that are great in those catergories.....
And then you rate the game 3/10 because it wasn't scary enough...? AND you want a refund? Gotta say, to me it sounds like you only care about horror in an Amnesia game. Amnesia isn't just horror, its the great things you yourself mentioned. There's no way what you said warrants a 3/10.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 08:48 PM by XDamienDaKillaX.)
09-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

"Linear games aren't games."

Man, Half Life wasn't a game.
09-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Find