Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Improve the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yeah!
20.83%
20 20.83%
Nah lets forget about the game..
29.17%
28 29.17%
No, it's fine the way it is! (added by pluto)
50.00%
48 50.00%
Total 96 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 52 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Disappointed with AAMFP
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Two levels in and bored..

(09-16-2013, 07:33 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: You're bored because you can't pick up random bottles which serve no purpose?

No, I haven't said I'm bored with the game.

I just agree with Googolplex that you should be able to pick them up since you've been able to do that since 2006 and now taking it away without any good reason, in my opinion, is a bad thing.

(09-16-2013, 07:35 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: I would always trip over items, backpedal towards items and etc. and scare myself. I miss that. haha.

Happened quite a bit in Penumbra and TDD.

This happens to me too.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM by Yuhaney.)
09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Website Find
Lama Offline

Threads: 0

How many levels are in AAMFP? I am also somewhere in the second level, how much still awaits?
09-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Find
skypeskype Offline

Threads: 6

(09-16-2013, 08:08 PM)Lama Wrote: How many levels are in AAMFP? I am also somewhere in the second level, how much still awaits?
I've just finished the game and the lenght is excactly what it should be. Long Enough to explain the story but leave interpretation, enough to not make it boring and enough to amaze you with the level design which gets better every level.
09-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Website Find
Lama Offline

(09-16-2013, 08:20 PM)skypeskype Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 08:08 PM)Lama Wrote: How many levels are in AAMFP? I am also somewhere in the second level, how much still awaits?
I've just finished the game and the lenght is excactly what it should be. Long Enough to explain the story but leave interpretation, enough to not make it boring and enough to amaze you with the level design which gets better every level.

I wasn't asking for spoilers, but just how much hours of gameplay/number of levels is left? Smile
09-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

And I love how I discover lovely small details on my second playthrough which I didn't notice on my first. Like the little frog in the level with the
Spoiler below!
centrifuge
Big Grin
09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Find
shroombab Offline

false advertising?

remember this?

Quote:Dan Pinchbeck, creative director at thechineseroom, has said if Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs can’t “frighten people as much as the original,” then the team has “failed.”

Speaking in an interview with Gamasutra, Pinchbeck said his team and the one at Frictional want the game to be “absolutely skin-crawlingly, heart-shatteringly, and nerve-jarringly terrifying.”

In order to accomplish such a feat, the team is focusing on what made the first Amnesia so memorable and scary for player, and build upon the experience with A Machine for Pigs.
source

so what happened there? was dan pinchbeck lying to make sure every amnesia fan would buy AMFP or was it really thechineseroom's intention to make a scary game and they just failed?
09-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34
RE: false advertising?

I doubt he cackled with a top hat as he said "I'm going to say this game will be as scary as Amnesia and then lie about it bwah hahahah." The problem is, since the game is on the same engine and 99% of us have played the Dark Descent, we are more desensitized to monsters and scary events in the game. We know if the pig catches us, "oh, we just restart 5 seconds away and the pig vanishes, woo."

That's where I think TCR could have done something better. Make a real penalty for getting caught by an enemy. You need to condition the player into being terrified of being caught, whether it is something like playing loud terrifying noises, flashing scary images, even something cheap like that. As long as it conditions the player to be scared to be caught, you've done the job. There was none of that in A Machine for Pigs.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013, 06:50 PM by DamnNoHtml.)
09-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

I sincerely hope they simply didn't know how to make scary game and failed at doing whatever they wanted to do...But honestly I don't believe it. When you think that the trailers were waaaaay scarier than the original Amnesia, you have to wonder what happened during the development process.
I do really think that at some point TCR decided to heavily modify the game, making it more story oriented, less scary, add more emotion...Hence the one year delay. I'm not against the idea, the result was interesting, but they should have warned us :/

Did voice acting for:
- My Love.
- Painful Shadows.
09-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

False advertising is different from failing to achieve a stated goal.

Plus this has been brought up before. Gonna close this, feel free to continue the discussion in the AMFP Member Review Thread Big Grin
09-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Find
TheUnbeholden Offline
Banned

Threads: 5
Disappointed in Frictional Games

I actually blame Frictional Games more than chineseroom. They where incharge of quality control. They should have tested the game and knew that it wasn't anywhere near as scary as the game should be. They knew it it barely had any enemy encounters (I count 2), and when it did, it fell flat. They should have picked up on the chineseroom's inexperience and improved the game. Frictional games didn't fulfill their role.

They felt it was ok to leave the monsters as they are, rather comical and barely any fearfactor,
no scary music to play when your chased.
Barely any jumpscares.

Come on guys. The game has the word Amnesia in its title. That means its your responsibility to make it "Amnesia-yyy", ie a horror game. I'm pointing the finger because its a blatant false advertising. The trailer showed scenes that weren't even in the game, and made the game seem like a horror game.

Yes chineseroom did make the trailer but that doesn't excuse them, nor does it excuse this poor "quality control".

The only reason why I'm making this thread is because I think that Frictional are the only ones that care enough to make it scary, and give us a patch. Add a "hard mode":
Which could address the points I made
+Up the encounters by atleast 3-4
+Make the encounters difficult/challenging
+Add scary music when your chased
+Improve the enemy models slightly, perhaps blood streaks, snarling gaped mouth anything.
09-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Find