Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 4.62 Average
Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

It should work fine, I have tested 5 levels from random parts of the game without noticing any missing sounds.
09-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Website Find
CalinTM Offline

Threads: 6
Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

Ok then...
09-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

So, I'm one of those who don't have stutters normally except for some very small ones mainly when walking into new areas of the same map. However, I tried the fixes:

1) Normal Steam: Piano scene -> 2 small stutters
2) Stutter3 Fix: Piano scene -> 1 small stutter
3) Stutter4 Fix: Piano scene -> Perfect

1) Normal Steam: General small stutters level 1 -> many
2) Stutter3 Fix: General small stutters level 1 -> 1 stutter (piano)
3) Stutter4 Fix: General small stutters level 1 -> Perfect

GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
RAM: 8GB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG
Launcher Settings: High
09-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Find
Jazz Offline

Threads: 0

(09-13-2013, 12:41 PM)jens Wrote: As for the sound part of the stuttering I'm fairly certain now that the final solution will be:
the patch4 with a main_settings with settings that are MaxChannels="48" StreamBuffers="6" StreamBufferSize="32768". Been testing this and the sound works as the should while we have minimized the resources used.

Now for the rest of the stuttering issue, which might more be a slowdown type of stutter? There is a common hardware and that is that all reporting in with having this issue has a Radeon HD5000 series (with the exception of 1 with 6000 series). Yes, there could be a problem with the game, but there could also be a driver issue or similar. So for starters a test here can be to do point nr 3 from here http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22991.html to make sure the drivers are at least clean and free of corruption.

Jens, I've tested this already. I've reverted back to older drivers before. But because I'm not a complete *sshole I followed the steps in thread 22991, and nuked those AMD drivers off my hard drive with Driver Sweeper. I just did that, a few seconds ago. Really, they were gone. Not there anymore. Believe me.

I reinstalled the latest drivers (13.4, because beta drivers always suck and cause BSOD's and other crap that's even more scary than anything I've played or experienced before). And guess what...?

No difference. None. Zip. Nada. I know there are games on the market in which dips in framerate are very "normal". Especially when you try to run Alan Wake on a 486 DX2. But AAMFP isn't ARMA 2. Or Take on Helicopters. Or DCS Black Shark 2. It's not even better looking than say... Modern Warfare 2. Yes, that's a cliched comparision. There is no excuse for poor performance in AAMFP, and you know it. It's poor coding/old engine. I wouldn't like to hear that either, but sadly that's the case. I know you are an independent studio and don't have as much resources available as Activision.

But just admit it. I know my system is almost fossilized, but it runs recent games which are way better looking than AAMFP very well. Fiddling with settings in those games can actually have good results. In AAMFP this is not the case. Whether I run it on 'low', 'medium' or 'high'... It just runs like frozen sh*t runs through a funnel, as we say here.

Don't insult my intelligence, please.
09-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Find
CalinTM Offline

(09-13-2013, 01:17 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: So, I'm one of those who don't have stutters normally except for some very small ones mainly when walking into new areas of the same map. However, I tried the fixes:

1) Normal Steam: Piano scene -> 2 small stutters
2) Stutter3 Fix: Piano scene -> 1 small stutter
3) Stutter4 Fix: Piano scene -> Perfect

1) Normal Steam: General small stutters level 1 -> many
2) Stutter3 Fix: General small stutters level 1 -> 1 stutter (piano)
3) Stutter4 Fix: General small stutters level 1 -> Perfect

GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
RAM: 8GB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG
Launcher Settings: High

With vanilla game i have the same things, but with patch 3 or 4 the game is now perfect, i had tiny stutters but they were very annoying and made the game unplayable.
09-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(09-13-2013, 01:24 PM)Jazz Wrote: Don't insult my intelligence, please.

Noone is insulting you. However, since most people's stuttering problem is solved one way or the other using sound tweaks, are you sure that it' not something else? Maybe some background program you are running, an antivirus, bad sound card drivers etc...

(09-13-2013, 01:27 PM)CalinTM Wrote: With vanilla game i have the same things, but with patch 3 or 4 the game is now perfect, i had tiny stutters but they were very annoying and made the game unplayable.

Stutter3 was almost perfect except that one piano stutter. With stutter4 the game was running fluently. Either way, both stutter fixes are a big boost over the vanilla game, that's for sure.

Bare in mind that I only tested level 1, nothing else.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 01:31 PM by plutomaniac.)
09-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Find
Jazz Offline

Threads: 0

(09-13-2013, 01:27 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Noone is insulting you. However, since most people's stuttering problem is solved one way or the other using sound tweaks, are you sure that it' not something else? Maybe some background program you are running, an antivirus, bad sound card drivers etc...

You are a good guy. I'm not saying that Jens isn't. But damn... Really, believe me. I've been in IT for 8 years now, and I've been playing PC games since MS-DOS 6.x way back in the nineties. I know what I can and can not do with PC's. I know what my system is capable of... Trust me.

Wink
09-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Find
CalinTM Offline

Also with patch4 i can modify the default_main_settings and the default_main_settings _sdl2.cfg with the
audio settings that Jens told us in the other thread page ? With "MaxChannels="48" StreamBuffers="6" StreamBufferSize="32768"

Those default_main_settings are just puttin the main_settings.cfg from my documents to that values if i remove that cfg from my documents...
09-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

It is not an optimization issue, because then everyone would have the problem. There are HD5000 users without this problems and there are others with the problem. So... there could be an improvement to make in the game, but it could also be a dead end. It is almost certain any improvement to the game would not be an ultimate fix in this case.

As far as I know, without looking it up, all of the named games are using DirectX. Unfortunately that means they have little to add to the troubleshooting here as this game is using OpenGL.

(09-13-2013, 01:31 PM)Jazz Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 01:27 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Noone is insulting you. However, since most people's stuttering problem is solved one way or the other using sound tweaks, are you sure that it' not something else? Maybe some background program you are running, an antivirus, bad sound card drivers etc...

You are a good guy. I'm not saying that Jens isn't. But damn... Really, believe me. I've been in IT for 8 years now, and I've been playing PC games since MS-DOS 6.x way back in the nineties. I know what I can and can not do with PC's. I know what my system is capable of... Trust me.

Wink
09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Website Find
Doomed316 Offline

Threads: 3

(09-10-2013, 09:16 AM)Shawn6 Wrote: When i go to new room, game freeze for about 1second. The same is when voices of children or other appears. My PC is Radeon HD 5870 , i3 and 4GB Ram. What can be the problem ?

PS : Sorry for bad english.

when a game has to stream in thing it will stutter. the stuttering based on what machine you are playing the game on also can make the stuttering turn into freezing. i have been noticing stuttering but no freezing after lowering graphics quality. i will say i should be able to run this game at about medium settings but i have set it to low. if the game does have poor optimization then the best way to deal with it is to lower graphics quality untill its fixed. i cant really much more than that. my system runs the game fine but the only issue i have is that the game likes to die in frames when ever i look at water.

P.S. not every game is going to be perfect when it releases (i tell you this because i bought another game called ROTT 2013 and it has tons of bugs and gltiches which has made it unplayble)
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Find