Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 4.62 Average
Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues
CalinTM Offline

Threads: 6
Solved: 10 Years, 3 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

Ok loaded patch4 and with MaxChannels="48" StreamBuffers="6" StreamBufferSize="32768"

And it's pure perfect now, i think we closed this case/thread.
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Find
Jazz Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 10 Years, 3 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

(09-13-2013, 02:25 PM)jens Wrote: It is not an optimization issue, because then everyone would have the problem. There are HD5000 users without this problems and there are others with the problem. So... there could be an improvement to make in the game, but it could also be a dead end. It is almost certain any improvement to the game would not be an ultimate fix in this case.

As far as I know, without looking it up, all of the named games are using DirectX. Unfortunately that means they have little to add to the troubleshooting here as this game is using OpenGL.

It's not about the named games, Jens. There are other OpenGL games that just run well. Should I name some? IL-2 Sturmovik, Trine, Trine 2, Doom 3 BFG edition, the Quake series, Wolfenstein, Quake Wars and your own A:TDD... They all run fine. No problems.

Besides AAMFP, I run into problems when running id's Rage as well. When I want to play that game, I have to revert back tot Catalyst 11.11. But everybody knows Rage's engine sucked monkey balls. Bad ideas, bad coding and lots of arrogance.

Let's just keep it to that. I will return to my corner now, hoping the issues will be fixed soon.

Kind regards,
Jazz
09-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Find
Stangi Offline

Threads: 3

Also tried patch 4 with MaxChannels="48" StreamBuffers="6" StreamBufferSize="32768", and now it's finally running perfectly Smile
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 03:01 PM by Stangi.)
09-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Find
Woopzilla Offline

Just to give some more info on the new suggested settings (48, 6, 32768): Those values still work for fixing my game.

Just to show how bad my issues were I made a longer video. Can anyone who says that the patch doesn't fix anything confirm that this is the type of stutter you experience and in roughly those locations?

Youtube playback seems to be bad in Firefox lately after recent updates. Best to watch in Chrome or IE to properly see all the stutters.

Unpatched game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMZD4NFG_M
Huge stutters and constant framedrops throughout the level.
Note: The huge freeze at 0:09 is not an exception. At first I thought my computer was really just doing something in the background, but no, that freeze happens 100% of the time every time. Can someone confirm this one?

Patched game (all files from aampf_stutter4.zip + MaxChannels="48" StreamBuffers="6" StreamBufferSize="32768" + New profile + Started a New Game): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0R7iD4QuAU
No obvious lag or stutter at all.
Note: The huge freeze at the very beginning is also completely eliminated.

Different quality settings don't change my results. I can run max settings without problems after the patch.

Intel i5 750
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz Corsair
ATi HD 5850
Onboard Audio VIA HD (Asus Motherboard P7P55D-LE
Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm Sata II
Windows 7 64-bit Pro
09-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Find
lovebunny Offline

Hey Jazz,

I think you're being a little to hard with the frictional games guys. Jens, nebej and plutomaniac have been communicating well with us, which is allready more than you get from most companys. It also appears to me that they are doing everything to help. Having some problems at the launch of a PC/Mac/Linux compatible game is certainly not a shame. If they would have ignored the problem, or given up early it would be a shame, but they didn't. And to remind: Many people seem to have no stuttering at all.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to piss you off again. ;) As a customer you have every rights to have as high standards as you want. Just wanted to state, that I personally am fully satisfied with the way they are handling the problem.

Win7 64Bit, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 6GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, Steinberg UR22 audio interface.
09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

I can confirm as well that using stutter5 (stutter4 + MaxChannels="48" StreamBuffers="6" StreamBufferSize="32768" + New profile + Started a New Game) the game works perfectly well. No stutters at all, great experience. I uploaded a stutter5 fix which only applies the above audio tweaks Jens mentioned just to be easier for someone to apply quickly.

1) Verify integrity of game files on Steam or reinstall if other copy to make sure stutter3 modified stuff are gone.
2) Copy/paste the contents of stutter5 to game directory overwriting previous files.
3) Go to Documents\Amnesia\Pig and delete the file main_settings.cfg.
4) Start the Launcher and let it auto detect settings (low, medium or high) - don't tweak them!
5) Create a new profile and start a new game.
6) Check the 1st level for any stutters.
7) If you still have stutters, try running the game without vSync and make sure it is not forced at the graphics card control panel.

Stutter5: http://rapidshare.com/share/D599E8F5C834...08177E97F3
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 04:20 PM by plutomaniac.)
09-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Find
Mr. Plankton Offline

Threads: 1

Do you have to start a new game for fix number four to work? I'm currently using the third released fix, MaxChannels at 32, StreamBuffers at 6, and StreamBufferSize at 32768.
09-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Find
Jazz Offline

(09-13-2013, 03:16 PM)lovebunny Wrote: Hey Jazz,

I think you're being a little to hard with the frictional games guys. Jens, nebej and plutomaniac have been communicating well with us, which is allready more than you get from most companys. It also appears to me that they are doing everything to help. Having some problems at the launch of a PC/Mac/Linux compatible game is certainly not a shame. If they would have ignored the problem, or given up early it would be a shame, but they didn't. And to remind: Many people seem to have no stuttering at all.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to piss you off again. Wink As a customer you have every rights to have as high standards as you want. Just wanted to state, that I personally am fully satisfied with the way they are handling the problem.

Hey Lovebunny,

It's not that I don't see they're trying to help. I told Jens before I really appreciate he's trying to help. It's just his (lacking) way of communication. First he gave (a lot of) us the impression he wasn't going to fix the problem, and told us to go ask for a refund. That's not the way we handle things where I live. Later he tried to downplay his earlier statement. With success, I might add. No hard feelings 'bout it.

But it's very, very frustrating that he keeps asking (a lot of) us to do the same things over and over, while we had already eliminated most causes. Constantly telling us to f*ck around with the AAMFP's settings and cleaning drivers and such really makes me wonder if Jens is behind a firewall, blocking all relevant answers out of this community. And I was quite done with that. We're not stupid. Yes, we did check our mouses, monitors, internet connections, USB ports and power supplies. They are all connected! Yes, we did reset our PC's a thousand times. No, we aren't running MS-DOS 6.2.

It's not that he's not trying or willing to help... It's just his way of communicating. I know he and rest of Frictional are trying to make the best of things and I'm sorry for them things have turned out this way. I know it's frustrating; I'm in IT as well. And that's why I'm just going to shut the f*ck up and wait. And pray. While being an atheist.

I don't mind having to run it on lower settings. However, reaching 60 frames per second on just a few occasions with this graphical quality is - in my humble opinion - reason enough to stop playing. Are those high standards?

Have a nice weekend, you all!

Kind regards,
Jazz
09-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

No, no. You should not have any "fixed" files the stutter3 fix applied. Follow the steps above: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid260275
09-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Find
Mr. Plankton Offline

Threads: 1

(09-13-2013, 03:47 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: No, no. You should not have any "fixed" files the stutter3 fix applied. Follow the steps above: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid260275
But do I have to start a new game for the fixes to work or is that just to test the piano segment?
09-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Find