Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 4.62 Average
Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

(09-17-2013, 07:43 AM)jens Wrote: The first system I expect you will get some stutter/slowdowns always, the 540M is pretty weak, below minimum it seems and is the bottleneck. 100% stutter/slowdown free for minimum is not something we are trying to achieve.
I played AAMFP (without any fixes) on High settings on my Core i5-460M with a GT 540M and had no framerate problems at all. Everything felt pretty smooth throughout the game, which really surprised me.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 03:15 PM by Chrysler.)
09-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Find
Inkstud Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

The stutter on my mac seems clearly related to graphics in some way. It seems that when I am not moving, there is no stutter at all; it only occurs occasionally when I walk into a new area, or turn and face a new section of a room that I have not faced yet. After I look at an area or section of a room that I have looked at previously, it displays smoothly.

I also tried editing the .cfg for the sound fixes, which didn't help at all; lowering the graphics quality from the default it detects for my system (medium quality for everything) to the lowest possible settings doesn't seem to improve things at all.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM by Inkstud.)
09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Find
dlux Offline

I also noticed that areas stutter much more when you first enter. If you run around in them for a bit (running up and down the stairs, running around in the room with the piano) then the stuttering almost disappears. Very strange.
09-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

New test and final test for these issues. There is not more to be done with the game that we can find and if problems remain then regular troubleshooting should be done by turning off other programs, updating drivers, lowering settings and so on to try and improve performance on low end hardware.

If you get an issue where the framerate drops, but then can go back up again after 10-20 seconds even if you stay in the same area, this is due to the computer getting hot and clocking down. We added the option to be able to tweak the maximum FPS in the main_settings.cfg file, the default value is MaxFramesPerSec="60", you can lower this to say 30. The result instead of perhaps running at 40-50 FPS and then dipping down to 20 fps as the computer throttles down, you would get a more even constant 30 FPS instead as the computer avoids running as hot. Best is of course to also be in a cool room, have a clean computer and those basics for avoiding overheating.

If you have OK performance and sometimes it dips down, then this is due to the game most of the time running at optimal performance. But if it takes more than 16.7ms to calculate, things will slow down as it has to do more work. This is how the game works and the "fix" is to run the game on hardware that is closer to the recommended, as that gives room for variations of how demanding different areas and events are.

Remember, if you used an earlier test then you have to revert the changes done by it before testing this version. Just to make sure there is not a new issue due to files from different tests.

New test:
http://thedarkswarm.com/downloads/public...utter7.zip

How to use this:
- Download file and unzip it. Then copy/move the contents of the folder into the game directory. If you do this correct Windows will prompt you to overwrite and merge files and folders. Do this (but warning that you will destroy your regular install and will have to redownload if you want it back later.). You can find the location of the game folder in Steam by right-clicking on the game, properties, last tab and click browse local game files.

- You now have to delete the file My Documents/Amnesia/Pig/main_settings.cfg. The game will create a new one with the new settings.

- Launch the game using the launcher, use the settings as detected and do not tweak them. That is use low, medium or high as suitable for your setup.

- Start a new game and go into options and turn off vsync and adaptive sync (also make sure you are not forcing it in the graphic control panel). This to make sure your test is not due to the computer not capable or running at 60FPS.

-Finally start a new game.
09-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Website Find
dlux Offline

(09-17-2013, 04:33 PM)jens Wrote: New test and final test for these issues.
Same shit. Oh well, I guess this means that I can play any game... except for "Amnesia: A Stutterfest for Pigs". Rolleyes

I uninstalled, I refuse to play even with the slightest stutter. Hopefully the game will work fine when I get a new system. Until then I will play games like Crysis 3, FarCry 3, Battlefield 3, etc... and enjoy the stutterless gameplay (yes, I own these games and no, they do not stutter)

(09-17-2013, 04:33 PM)jens Wrote: There is not more to be done with the game that we can find and if problems remain then regular troubleshooting should be done by turning off other programs, updating drivers, lowering settings and so on to try and improve performance on low end hardware.
Maybe you should add this to the box: "may or may not work with 3 1/2 year old systems" Rolleyes

(09-17-2013, 04:33 PM)jens Wrote: If you get an issue where the framerate drops, but then can go back up again after 10-20 seconds even if you stay in the same area, this is due to the computer getting hot and clocking down.
I checked my temps. CPU: 39°C; GPU: 50°C

It has nothing to do with that anyway. My system is running good, and it runs every single other game without even a single hiccup. It is either a problem with your engine or the drivers.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 05:25 PM by dlux.)
09-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

This is not directly related to the stuttering issues but I'll reuse this thread anyway because I see that you are including SDL 2 with the fixes. TDD and AMFP use SDL 1.2 which seems to have a bug with loading US keyboard layouts and not unloading them. That leads to Windows showing the language bar when using non-US keyboard layouts after running the game. The bar does not disappear after closing the game, you have to manually add en-US to the keyboard layout settings and remove it again to make it disappear. SDL 2 does not load the US layout so would be great if you include it with the next update.
09-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Jens do you have any idea when the next update will be available at Steam? If it will take some more time to fix other issues then I'll just use stutter7. Also:

[Image: l74v.jpg]
09-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Find
skooma breath Offline

stutter 7 patch seemed to cap fps at 40 in certain areas and did not fix the stuttering. tried multiple different in game graphics settings.

ga x58 usb3 lga1366
i7 950
24 gigs corsair vengeance
2 gtx 670 4gb cards sli
09-18-2013, 04:09 AM
Find
Rannixx Offline

Since V-sync is off in order for these stutter fixes to work, how does one eliminate the abominable screen tearing in this game?
09-18-2013, 06:09 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

I started playing the game with stutter7fix and noticed that the pig masks are at the wrong places because the model was changed and distances are not the same.

(09-18-2013, 04:09 AM)skooma breath Wrote: stutter 7 patch seemed to cap fps at 40 in certain areas and did not fix the stuttering. tried multiple different in game graphics settings.

ga x58 usb3 lga1366
i7 950
24 gigs corsair vengeance
2 gtx 670 4gb cards sli

The game does not support SLI/Crossfire. No testing has been done on such systems. Try one card only.

(09-18-2013, 06:09 AM)Rannixx Wrote: Since V-sync is off in order for these stutter fixes to work, how does one eliminate the abominable screen tearing in this game?

Enable vSync, you should be fine.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2013, 11:46 PM by plutomaniac.)
09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Find