Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra the Movie : Who would be your ideal cast ?
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Penumbra the Movie : Who would be your ideal cast ?

(01-13-2009, 01:33 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: Just having a bit of a think. For the game to be successfully merged into a movie, prepare for vital parts of the game to left out, new characters to appear, and the whole layout of the mine/ facility changed.
Let's face it, to my knowledge/ little research, there has not been a single movie with only one character we see. (if we exclude silents). To get the movie running, and have the enmies introduced in movie style, you would need a second character, e.g, a brother. To introduce dog, have brother starts getting attacked by dog, on ground, yelling, phillip runs out of camera for a few seconds, enters back into camera view then hits the dog with a pick axe, thus, the enemies are introduced, and a weapon is sucessfully implemented, not all that different from "Shaun of the Dead."
Problem is, that Script writers are normally afraid to greatly alter the script, and they want to stick with the material in the game, and so, they fail, because games and movies are two completely different types of media.
for a good game=movie, Be prepared to have a completely different layout of the plot to what the game is, and be prepared for scenes to be left out.
Sorry for the thread necromancy. Wink

If they changed the scripts it would piss off the fans and they would fail anyways.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

(01-13-2009, 04:58 PM)Kedjane Wrote:
(01-13-2009, 01:33 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: Just having a bit of a think. For the game to be successfully merged into a movie, prepare for vital parts of the game to left out, new characters to appear, and the whole layout of the mine/ facility changed.
Let's face it, to my knowledge/ little research, there has not been a single movie with only one character we see. (if we exclude silents). To get the movie running, and have the enmies introduced in movie style, you would need a second character, e.g, a brother. To introduce dog, have brother starts getting attacked by dog, on ground, yelling, phillip runs out of camera for a few seconds, enters back into camera view then hits the dog with a pick axe, thus, the enemies are introduced, and a weapon is sucessfully implemented, not all that different from "Shaun of the Dead."
Problem is, that Script writers are normally afraid to greatly alter the script, and they want to stick with the material in the game, and so, they fail, because games and movies are two completely different types of media.
for a good game=movie, Be prepared to have a completely different layout of the plot to what the game is, and be prepared for scenes to be left out.
Sorry for the thread necromancy. Wink

If they changed the scripts it would piss off the fans and they would fail anyways.

Yes but, thats a minority, i mean, honestly, outside of sweden, how many people hve heard of penumbra?
You've got a choice of a script that fails because it is just a walkthrough, or you can please the larger audience, and change the script, and have a thousand or so penumbra players who got pissed that it didn't follow the game, and have far more who enjoyed it.

Not an image
01-14-2009, 04:02 AM
Find
Tombo Offline

Threads: 3

Liam Neeson as Philip definately
04-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Find
agent 47 Offline

Threads: 0

(11-30-2008, 09:25 PM)Petike Wrote:
Umbra Wrote:Well, I think there is no reason to make a film based on Penumbra. Penumbra is more than video game - it's more like a book with good story and philosophic end, last letter of Philip is a real revelation,,,

I fully agree on that, Umbra. To be honest, Penumbra would not be good source material for a movie. And if someone nonetheless came up with an ASB idea of making one, it would have to be more of a indie horror to be interesting at all...

Besides, movies based on games and games based on movies usualy... SUCK... I think the main reason for that, is the fact that one medium tries to compete with the other in presentation or storytelling... and fails... Undecided

You know my friend and i made a movie base on those two games and it turn out ok. they only went for 10 min each but it was still ok. i will put more info on here if you want me to.
04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

(04-09-2009, 05:22 PM)Tombo Wrote: Liam Neeson as Philip definately

I dunno, I think Neeson would almost make a better Red.

04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Find
TJJ Offline

Threads: 3

Agreed.

Red – Liam Neeson
Philip – David Tennant
Clarence – Philip Seymour Hoffman
Swanson – Keeley Hawes
04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

There's fake trailer for Penumbra movie.

Here!

Not by me...

06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Karl Urban has to play a role in this somehow.
06-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Website Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Great *trailer*, really good! Oh and Frictional, you said some time back that Paradox Interactive was in negotiations with "said" movie company... what game was it?

Not an image
06-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

In my opinion, the trailer isn't that good...

There's just put some random parts of some random movie and added some random sound effects from game and then saved the whole file and uploaded to YouTube.

Like: 00:56 - Pulling a trigger and at the same time you hear the sound of taking painkillers, what's that has to do with anything?
Pretty random in my opinion...

06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Website Find