Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It won't run!
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Accidentally deleted my Amnesia folder!
Deleting the Amnesia folder in Documents shouldn't corrupt the game, but it can if there are bad files in there. Wasn't that the only folder you deleted? The game itself is installed in Program Files (further into Steam if you have that copy).

05-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
The term "Library" is often used for MAC OS X operating systems? Do you have Windows or MAC OS X?
05-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Find
Unregistered

(05-13-2014, 05:13 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: The term "Library" is often used for MAC OS X operating systems? Do you have Windows or MAC OS X?

I have windows.

(05-13-2014, 05:13 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: The term "Library" is often used for MAC OS X operating systems? Do you have Windows or MAC OS X?

When I say library, I mean in my steam library.

(05-13-2014, 08:15 AM)Romulator Wrote: I'm a little confused, do you have the retail version or Steam version of Amnesia?

If retail:
Simply reinstall Amnesia via its disc. If you're worried, simply point the installer directory to another folder other than Amnesia - The Dark Descent. Perhaps just a generic folder called Amnesia Tongue

If steam:
You can do this one of two ways I believe:
1. Right click Amnesia - The Dark Descent in Steam and go to Properties. Once there, navigate to Local Files and click Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That should replace any files which are missing.

2. If the previous method did not work, simply click that option above it - Delete Local Game Content. Then once that process is complete, go to Amnesia's steam page while logged in as yourself and redownload and reinstall.

Already tried it. Didn't work.
05-14-2014, 06:26 PM
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Try a clean reinstallation.

1) Uninstall the game via steam (delete local content).
2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps (or similar, I don't remember the exact path by hard) and delete Amnesia The Dark Descent folder.
3) Go to Documents and delete the folder Amnesia (if you want, backup any saves made there first)
4) Go to C:\Users\-YOUR-USER-NAME-\AppData\Local\VirtualStore and search for anything relating to Amnesia (either Program Files or Documents). Then delete them.
5) Reinstall Amnesia via Steam and then do a file integrity check.
6) Try to run the game now.

If after all that it fails again, attach HPL.log file after the issue occurs as mentioned at the troubleshooting guide, Problem X.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014, 11:18 PM by plutomaniac.)
05-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Find
InfinityGuyThing
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Can not load main init file?
Hello. I have just bought Amnesia today. When I clicked play, it said could not load main init file? http://imgur.com/hbrZPD7
I played the demo version already and it worked perfectly fine. So, I am wanting to know what I need to do in order to fix this problem.
Also, I am referring to it on Steam.
05-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Anonymous234569
Unregistered

(05-14-2014, 11:16 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Try a clean reinstallation.

2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps (or similar, I don't remember the exact path by hard) and delete Amnesia The Dark Descent folder.
3) Go to Documents and delete the folder Amnesia (if you want, backup any saves made there first)
4) Go to C:\Users\-YOUR-USER-NAME-\AppData\Local\VirtualStore and search for anything relating to Amnesia (either Program Files or Documents). Then delete them.

If after all that it fails again, attach HPL.log file after the issue occurs as mentioned at the troubleshooting guide, Problem X.

When you say a file integrity check do you mean like doing the verify game cache thing?

(05-14-2014, 11:34 PM)Anonymous234569 Wrote: [quote='plutomaniac' pid='294878' dateline='1400105810']
Try a clean reinstallation.

Didn't work. You told me to delete my Amnesia folder but when I did and did the rest of the steps and re-installed it, the Amnesia folder didn't show up and my other one only had a MainDemo in it and not a Main. Oh, it still says can't load main init file.
05-14-2014, 11:34 PM
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: It won't run!
Found all 3 threads that you have opened with different names and merged them together. Don't open new ones, keep only one.

Judging from all the topics, your computer/operating system has lots of issues that prevent the game or steam from running properly. Maybe the antivirus, maybe other programs or services. It's not the game's problem and until you find what specific software issue your system has the game will probably fail to run every time.
05-15-2014, 02:11 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.