Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

PewDiePie arguing
Peci Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia and Pewdiepie

My view is somewhat neutral towards PDP.

As an entrepreneur myself, I understand their decision, because money still matters. PDP is a hugely successful entrepreneur and FG and tCR are small independent studios (also very successful). I think it's natural that they co-operate. Marketing is -extremely- expensive, if you want to do it the traditional way. Personally I think him being the "spokesperson" doesn't affect the quality of the product itself.

If it was suitable for him to advertise a small law firm, I'd probably try to co-operate with him myself Big Grin
08-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(08-26-2013, 10:35 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: Not to make any accusations, but right now I feel as if they're trying to play it safe by not saying anything, and acting like "Nono! We're all neutral on this! You guys can go talk it out yourselves!" I sincerely think that this isn't the case, and they must have some sort of opinion on this matter. if they would come out, and have their say on their mindset on doing whatever it is they do, then we could very well be spared a lot of the trouble speculating if anyone's selling out, purposely spoiling, or don't care about their fans.

What is certain though, is that they are aware of these discussions, and are not trying to be neutral, seeing FG's latest tweet (just yesterday).
08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(08-26-2013, 10:42 AM)felixmole Wrote: What is certain though, is that they are aware of these discussions, and are not trying to be neutral, seeing FG's latest tweet (just yesterday).

Well, I kind of meant beyond objective news blog posts. I was talking about maybe something spoken a bit more informally, and perhaps more personal which can get across what they think on all of this very clearly. In other words...explaining themselves, and their mindsets in an informal manner.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM by Kreekakon.)
08-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

(08-26-2013, 10:52 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: Well, I kind of meant beyond objective news blog posts. I was talking about maybe something spoken a bit more informally, and perhaps more personal which can get across what they think on all of this very clearly. In other words...explaining themselves, and their mindsets in an informal manner.

It would indeed be very interesting to see what they would have to say about this and why they allowed this to happen so soon.

I'm wondering if it's all because of some of the impatient fans wanting new trailers and stuff - yes I'm aware that I was one of the people wanting some news on the game's progress - but that was completely different: when me and other people became concerned about the game's progress we just wanted to know how the game was going, most of us weren't being forceful; we were just curious. We didn't care about videos, screenshots or when the release date was set, just a progress report.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM by Tesseract.)
08-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

(08-26-2013, 07:03 AM)Arbies Wrote: Okay there isn't an easter egg about PDP in the game, FG sent a rewiew copy, and we haven't got anything about this,

So stop hating, loving people in this thread. So, please, please everybody shut up.
I wouldn't buy it if they did that.
Easter eggs are supposed to be a funny award not something that annoys you in a game that is immersion based.
08-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

(08-26-2013, 10:30 AM)felixmole Wrote: Leaves us only with the hope that FG won't be making an announcement about their Super Secret project being for consoles only Big Grin

Don't give them ideas!

On the plus side, Frictional do seem to be against console versions of their games (thankfully).

(08-26-2013, 10:36 AM)Peci Wrote: As an entrepreneur myself, I understand their decision, because money still matters. PDP is a hugely successful entrepreneur and FG and tCR are small independent studios (also very successful). I think it's natural that they co-operate. Marketing is -extremely- expensive, if you want to do it the traditional way. Personally I think him being the "spokesperson" doesn't affect the quality of the product itself.

True, but for some watching the PDP video it will affect their perception of the game - they see some guy over-reacting, yelling and screaming at some game and they'll lose interest right away and think it's "just some dumb jump-scare game" and lose any interest in the game, let alone even buying it.

(08-26-2013, 11:14 AM)Delirium92 Wrote: I'm wondering if it's all because of some of the impatient fans wanting new trailers and stuff - yes I'm aware that I was one of the people wanting some news on the game's progress - but that was completely different: when me and other people became concerned about the game's progress we just wanted to know how the game was going, most of us weren't being forceful; we were just curious. We didn't care about videos, screenshots or when the release date was set, just a progress report.

Which is what a number of us nagged them for a few months back and they begrudgingly gave us an update. Which was nice, but both TCR and Frictional seem to prefer to keep quiet on even revealing such basic updates to keep their fans happy .... that is until they take the weird decision to let a wailing banshee of a LP'er post some dumbed down video of the game that so much money, care, craftsmanship and time has apparently gone into ..........
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM by Ossie.)
08-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-26-2013, 12:05 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: It really upsets me that FG chooses to use Pewdiepie (of all people) as publicity before even releasing an official trailer[...]
Well, the math is easy here: game development is a professional work for FG and thus their games needs to be sold. PDP has the biggest amount of subscribers AT ALL on Youtube thus, taking into account his popularity that jumped with Amnesia a lot, it was an obvious marketing choice which outweighs even hundreds of upset fans.

Money matters more in the end and this makes perfect sense.
(08-26-2013, 10:02 AM)Ossie Wrote: [F]or example, The Chinese Room take away Everybody's Gone To The Rapture from the PC users who were anticipating it and make it a PS4 exclusive [...]
And nothing of value was lost.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM by Kein.)
08-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(08-26-2013, 12:23 PM)Ossie Wrote: True, but for some watching the PDP video it will affect their perception of the game - they see some guy over-reacting, yelling and screaming at some game and they'll lose interest right away and think it's "just some dumb jump-scare game" and lose any interest in the game, let alone even buying it.

Unless someone's been living under a rock however, I'm fairly certain the reputation of Amnesia is actually good enough that anyone who's heard of the title will know its true worth. Even if they hadn't, a simple bit of research will show them that it's very deep.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-26-2013, 01:41 PM)Kein Wrote:
(08-26-2013, 12:05 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: It really upsets me that FG chooses to use Pewdiepie (of all people) as publicity before even releasing an official trailer[...]
Well, the math is easy here: game development is a professional work for FG and thus their games needs to be sold. PDP has the biggest amount of subscribers AT ALL on Youtube thus, taking into account his popularity that jumped with Amnesia a lot, it was an obvious marketing choice which outweighs even hundreds of upset fans.

Money matters more in the end and this makes perfect sense.

PDP was going to play this game eventually anyway. Why did it have to be 2 weeks before the release that frictional has him make a montage? Then they advertise it as being a spoiler. Does this really make them more money? It probably does, but they pissed off a lot of longtime fans in the process and I thought frictional was better than that. Maybe I'm being too butthurt about this and it's really not a big deal but this is my natural feeling.

I know that this doesn't change the quality of the game but it really did take me by surprise.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM by Damascus Rose.)
08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Find
zarathustra Offline

Threads: 0

Pewdiepie made a video out of his review copy not spoiling much of anything really.
If you are butt hurt over that I think you need to grow up. I don't see what the big deal is. the game is potentially 6 hours long maybe longer for us, and he only revealed 2 - 5 second clips of the first hour and a half. literally, any thing you may think has been spoiled is pure conjecture at this point. You have no context for any of the stuff that pewdiepie showed. So just realize that, cause everyone crying here sounds pretty dumb to me.
08-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Find