Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Depth Was A Hoax
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Depth Was A Hoax

Awesome. Thanks Rom.

I know I asked this earlier, but now I know it shouldn't spoil it for me.

Smile
10-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Find
Sonador Offline

Threads: 0

(10-06-2015, 01:17 PM)Kein Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 08:42 AM)Thomas Wrote: Some clarifications:

- These episodes are not 100% canon, hence the whole "inspired by" at the start.

- From the get-go the intention was to release this as episodes and not as a movie. To be able to cut it all into a movie was to be a fun extra if possible, but never the main intention.

- The episodes were meant to be released prior to SOMA's launch, but due to various issues they were delayed and we decided to release them post-launch instead.

And here we go, thanks for actual clarification, took a heated (and some people took it very personal for no apparent reason) discussion to draw it out of you guys.

It does proves my point that as a movie Depth never existed. Nobody yet provided a single solid evidence that movie was announced or it was supposed to be a movie and as Thomas said they planned it to be series from the start. Though, calling it web-series is a bit generous, more like mini-web-series since the format is very non-standard.

A bit of poor communication on the creator's side, they should have mentioned it wasn't supposed to be a full-fledged movie but rather series of shorts.

"I know I just got proven wrong but here's some reasons why I'm technically not wrong when you look at the semantics of my posts just the right way"

Reading back through this thread you've been impunitively maintaining that Depth was a hoax because it's not a feature film or something and degrading people/acting like a child when someone singles you out for it. Depth may not have been what people were expecting, but it exists and is just fine as it is. It isn't an advertising gimmick, nothing was promised that wasn't provided upon (eventually), and nobody's deceiving anyone.

Let it go already, Christ. This isn't Facepunch. You're not championing against some injustice of false advertisement, you're throwing a fit over not getting something you were never promised.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 02:57 PM by Sonador.)
10-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(10-06-2015, 08:42 AM)Thomas Wrote: - From the get-go the intention was to release this as episodes and not as a movie. To be able to cut it all into a movie was to be a fun extra if possible, but never the main intention.

Thank you for the clarification, Thomas. Although a movie wasn't FG's main intention, at least now we officially know that it wasn't a hoax. May this thread finally rest in peace.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 04:07 PM by Ashtoreth.)
10-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-06-2015, 02:55 PM)Sonador Wrote: "I know I just got proven wrong but here's some reasons why I'm technically not wrong when you look at the semantics of my posts just the right way"

Reading back through this thread you've been impunitively maintaining that Depth was a hoax because it's not a feature film or something and degrading people/acting like a child when someone singles you out for it. Depth may not have been what people were expecting, but it exists and is just fine as it is. It isn't an advertising gimmick, nothing was promised that wasn't provided upon (eventually), and nobody's deceiving anyone.

Let it go already, Christ. This isn't Facepunch. You're not championing against some injustice of false advertisement, you're throwing a fit over not getting something you were never promised.

[Image: 0iyWBoI.jpg]

The only thing that saddens me more than the fact that feature movie does not exist is the fact these forums turned into "quality" Steam forum with time due to popularity of Amnesia/SOMA.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

(10-06-2015, 04:03 PM)Kein Wrote: these forums turned into "quality" Steam forum with time due to popularity of Amnesia/SOMA.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc

Careful with the fallacies, Kein Wink

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 07:45 PM by Ashtoreth.)
10-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1

(10-06-2015, 01:17 PM)Kein Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 08:42 AM)Thomas Wrote: Some clarifications:

- These episodes are not 100% canon, hence the whole "inspired by" at the start.

- From the get-go the intention was to release this as episodes and not as a movie. To be able to cut it all into a movie was to be a fun extra if possible, but never the main intention.

- The episodes were meant to be released prior to SOMA's launch, but due to various issues they were delayed and we decided to release them post-launch instead.

And here we go, thanks for actual clarification, took a heated (and some people took it very personal for no apparent reason) discussion to draw it out of you guys.

It does proves my point that as a movie Depth never existed. Nobody yet provided a single solid evidence that movie was announced or it was supposed to be a movie and as Thomas said they planned it to be series from the start. Though, calling it web-series is a bit generous, more like mini-web-series since the format is very non-standard.

A bit of poor communication on the creator's side, they should have mentioned it wasn't supposed to be a full-fledged movie but rather series of shorts.

O_o ........................ ><

RIGHT.....anyways......

(10-06-2015, 01:47 PM)MrSteve Wrote: On a totally separate note.........

Hey guys Smile

I'm waiting to play the game, while recoverning from surgery, but I'm very interested in these 'transmissions'.

Thomas said they were originally meant for before SOMA, so am I OK to watch these first?

Cheers all

You should be good man as far as spoilers are concerned. After you're done with the game though rewatch it.....despite it being not 100% canon it does a really good job of setting things up for the game.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 04:32 PM by Noisecode.)
10-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

(10-06-2015, 04:29 PM)Noisecode Wrote: You should be good man as far as spoilers are concerned. After you're done with the game though rewatch it.....despite it being not 100% canon it does a really good job of setting things up for the game.

Yeah, I think it's much easier to understand what's going on in the videos after playing the game, but at the same time they work pretty well as teasers too!

Shall we continue discussing the films in the dedicated thread and let this one die out in peace?

10-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Find
Sonador Offline

Threads: 0

(10-06-2015, 04:03 PM)Kein Wrote: Ad Hominem

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdHominem

" Ad hominem is very often mistakenly claimed in cases where an argument's opponent attacks its proponent in addition to presenting a valid counterargument. "You're stupid, therefore your argument is invalid" is an ad hominem; "your argument is invalid, therefore you're stupid" (or "Your argument is invalid and you're stupid") is not. Similarly, some people seem to think that Ad Hominem is necessarily abusive, which it isn't. "You've used the 'Four Terms' fallacy, you stupid idiot, therefore you're using faulty logic" is not Ad Hominem (although it might be Fallacy Fallacy if done badly). "Mike has clearly put a lot of thought into whether we should buy a pool, but he is a convicted felon" is. "

Good try, though. Remember, Tumblr memes aren't applicable in real discussion.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 03:15 AM by Sonador.)
10-07-2015, 03:15 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Let's not even go into that territory of ad hominem shall we? Let's just slice off this part of the discussion and pretend that it never existed and just carry on normally with the rest.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-07-2015, 04:38 AM
Find
André Campana Offline

Threads: 10

I've been looking up and down using all tools google can give me. It's now 2017, and the very last posts about Depth (a.k.a. Project Apophis) are from May 2016, specifically, this one from Imagos' twitter, from the 6th of May 2016:
Imagos Films at Twitter

I wouldn't say the project was cancelled, i am trying to contact Imagos and and i'll also try to personally ask Trin Miller (Imogen Reed) on twitter about this. Stay tuned.

[Image: WLYgWF]
01-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Find