Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demo - unusual graphics problem
Drumsfellow Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Demo - unusual graphics problem

Things just got weirder.

I maxed all of the graphics options (i.e., everything set to the highest possible level), and now the "world" is the right side up, but the lighting (or whatever it is) is upside down.

Here's the screenshot:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3937/...litch3.jpg

Curiously, the main menu is still inverted as before.

I'd even play through the demo this way, but it lags too much on the highest settings (my computer's not that strong).

I am now going through the settings, turning them off one by one to see if anything happens.
09-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I know this might sounds silly, but did you uninstall the drivers, reboot the computer and then install the new driver? Rebooting the computer in between is IMPORTANT as it will make sure that all files are removed, so that all files are replaced and fresh when installing the new driver.
09-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Website Find
Drumsfellow Offline

Yes, I did.

But, I figured out which setting is responsible for this latest change--it's "Smoothing" (i.e., "Edge smooth" in the launcher settings). The "world" is the right way up when Smoothing is turned ON.
But I'm still having the same problems that can be seen in the last screenshot I uploaded.

I don't get it. Why are the lighting effects and the textures shifting places depending on whether Smoothing is turned ON or OFF. What could be causing that?
09-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Find
lunarwater Offline

Threads: 0

I have the exact same problem. I have the ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics card....
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Find
rini Offline

(09-03-2010, 11:53 PM)Drumsfellow Wrote: I have a bit of an unusual problem. And I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen (I don't think it is).

The lighting and the particle effects are turned the right way up, but the textures (i.e., everything else) is upside down, as if it has been flipped horizontally. :/

I have tried reducing the graphics, and have updated the drivers (and yes, restarted). Still nothing.

Help?

Amnesia's "Graphics Compatibility Test" pass with no problems?
09-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Find
Drumsfellow Offline

Actually, I didn't know about the test so I did it now. I didn't do so well.

Here's the link to my post with the details:
http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-...l#pid31671
09-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Hi,

I have been doing some digging in the reports from the compatiblity test and 3200 is confirmed to work for Win Vista 64, Win 7 64, OSX and Linux 32bit.

As far as I can see, this problem only affects users Win XP 32 bit. Is this correct? (if not would be nice if someone replied in this thread).

In any case, it seems to me that this is bound to be a driver problem.

Checking your output code from the compatiblity test, it report that you are using drivers version:
2.1.7770 Release

This is really old drivers and I am 99% sure this is the problem

I would suggest you try and the drivers here:
http://www.amd.com/se/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

Hope that helps!
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2010, 10:08 PM by Thomas.)
09-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Find
rini Offline

(09-04-2010, 10:08 PM)Thomas Wrote: Hi,

I have been doing some digging in the reports from the compatiblity test and 3200 is confirmed to work for Win Vista 64, Win 7 64, OSX and Linux 32bit.

As far as I can see, this problem only affects users Win XP 32 bit. Is this correct? (if not would be nice if someone replied in this thread).
On Desktop 3200 run fine on WinXP. But desktop 3200 is not equal to notebook 3200.

Quote:In any case, it seems to me that this is bound to be a driver problem.

Checking your output code from the compatiblity test, it report that you are using drivers version:
2.1.7770 Release

Very probably. Or check bios settings (e.g. Video Shared Memory Size)
09-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Find
Akong Offline

I have somewhat the same problem. I run a Toshiba laptop with Vista 32 bit, with ATI mobility Radeon HD 3470. My control panel said my drivers were fine, but I downloaded new ones from Toshiba's tech support (since ATI apparently don't support Toshiba laptops) just to be safe. Uninstalled old ones, restarted, installed new ones and restarted.

At first it seemed the problem had fixed itself (it shows up during insanity effects), but it just popped up a little later than usual.
09-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Find
Drumsfellow Offline

(09-04-2010, 10:08 PM)Thomas Wrote: Hi,

In any case, it seems to me that this is bound to be a driver problem.

2.1.7770 Release

I would suggest you try and the drivers here:
http://www.amd.com/se/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

Hope that helps!

(Yes, I do have Win XP 32 bit.)

I'm guessing you're right about the drivers, but I've already tried updating them. I presume I'm doing something wrong.

At the link you gave me, I select "Notebook Graphics -> Mobility Radeon Series -> Mobility Radeon HD 3xxx Series -> Windows XP - 32 bit", and that leads me to this page:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pag...ility.aspx

And from there, I go to the HP page for notebooks, find my notebook model, and download the drivers for the graphics.

This is what I did last time, I wrote about it in one of my previous posts:

Quote:I tried reinstalling the drivers; this time, I downloaded them from the notebook manufacturer page (as recommended here). I have an HP Compaq 6735s.
I downloaded the graphics drivers for my specific notebook model, for Windows XP (32 bit). This is the driver pack.

I first removed the old drivers, along with the Catalyst Control Center (which I haven't been able to open for quite some time now; I right-click on the desktop, and when I click on the CCC, I get an error message saying that the Control Center cannot be opened). After installing the drivers from the link above, I reinstalled the Demo (restarting the computer after each uninstall and install).

I still cannot open the Catalyst Control Center, and the game still doesn't work properly.

These are the drivers I downloaded and installed the last time, they're supposed to be the newest available for my HP notebook model:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Tec...ob-66449-1

I'm guessing they're not, since you say they're really old. But I don't know where to find newer drivers. Could you help me more directly with that?

Thanks for your help so far, I don't really know much about drivers.

EDIT: Ok, I think I may have found some drivers that might work. I'll post when I try them out.
09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Find