Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demo - unusual graphics problem
Drumsfellow Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Demo - unusual graphics problem

I've tried to install the drivers from this link http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wi...ce-xp.aspx , but I can't seem to install them properly. The Install Manager installs, and then nothing happens. I think it's because there's something wrong with the Catalyst Control Center (it won't open).

I will try to do a fresh Windows install and see what happens.
09-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Drumsfellow:
Thanks for taking the time and trying things out!

It is really annoying that laptop manufacturers needs to have specific drivers and does not take time to update them.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2010, 02:29 PM by Thomas.)
09-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Find
Drumsfellow Offline

No problem, thanks for trying to help. And I agree about the laptop manufacturers.

I've been looking forward to Amnesia for more than a year, so I'd really like to solve this and be able to play it. Smile
09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Find
Tayrtahn Offline

Threads: 0

The really sad part is that the "special" laptop drivers are usually identical to the standard drivers. The laptop manufacturers just like to have control over when updates are released (presumably to avoid getting angry letters from confused customers if an update is wonky). Laptop manufacturers will sometimes bother to check and release a newer driver if they get enough requests from customers, but for the most part they don't bother.

If you look around, there are ways to bypass this restriction - simple tools exist that will let you install the latest drivers without having to wait and hope for the manufacturers to do something. I've had mixed results with these - one time worked perfectly, another time messed things up until I switched to an older version. You can go look for Mobility Modder or another tool, but use at your own risk, as they say.

I'm sure Frictional will get these graphical oddities sorted out soon. Best of luck to them!
09-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Find
Akong Offline

(09-05-2010, 05:24 PM)Tayrtahn Wrote: The really sad part is that the "special" laptop drivers are usually identical to the standard drivers. The laptop manufacturers just like to have control over when updates are released (presumably to avoid getting angry letters from confused customers if an update is wonky). Laptop manufacturers will sometimes bother to check and release a newer driver if they get enough requests from customers, but for the most part they don't bother.

If you look around, there are ways to bypass this restriction - simple tools exist that will let you install the latest drivers without having to wait and hope for the manufacturers to do something. I've had mixed results with these - one time worked perfectly, another time messed things up until I switched to an older version. You can go look for Mobility Modder or another tool, but use at your own risk, as they say.

I'm sure Frictional will get these graphical oddities sorted out soon. Best of luck to them!
I can't thank you enough!
I used the Mobility Modder tool, and my game works fine now with no graphical glitches. Finally!
09-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Find
Serpius Offline

Threads: 0

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if that's the right topic, I hope so.
Ok, my problem is that I've got huge performance problems. My fps is about 5-15, unplayable. I tried nearly everything, I turned everything down, but it still didn't helpConfused
My system: Intel Core Duo @ 2,63 ; Geforce 9600GT ; 2GB RAM ; Win 7 64bit Ultimate

Don't know why it's not working, sometimes I can't even start the game and it crashes... then sometimes the game starts, it minimizes instantly and I'm on my desktop again.. but the game still plays in the background, but I can't use my mouse anymore, because my mouse cursor jumps into the upper left corner of my desktop and I can't move it anymore..

Any Solutions for this performance/graphic problems? That's really annoyingBig Grin

EDIT: Sry, problems solved!
09-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Akong:
Could you please outlinr what steps you took to make it work? That way I can add it to th trouble shooting guide and help others with same problem.
09-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Find
Akong Offline

I did nothing but follow the instructions on the Mobility Modder site (any and all credits to Tayrtahn). Just put this link:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php
in the guide for people who have problems updating their ATI laptop drivers, or have updated their drivers but still can't get it to work.

Basically this:

Installation step by step guide

1: Download MSXML 6.0 from Microsoft. (Default in Vista) - Install.

Step 2 is VISTA ONLY

2: Make sure UAC control in Vista is turned off. If you don't know how to do this then read this guide (method 4 is the easiest) or click the "disable UAC" in Mobility Modder.net - please note you MUST reboot after disabling UAC. If you don't want it disabled permanently, you can turn it back on after our mobility tool has finished, but it won't mod the drivers correctly with UAC ON.

3: Download the newest desktop drivers from http://www.ati.com (or get them from Driver Heaven Downloads). If you are using Windows XP make sure to download .net framework from Microsoft (this is built into Windows Vista so there is no need to install it).

4: Run the downloaded driver, let it extract into c:/ATI/SUPPORT - but cancel the installation once the driver is extracted.

5: Run Mobility Modder - browse to the driver in C:ATI/SUPPORT/ - an example of Catalyst 7.4 would be C:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-4_vista32_dd_ccc_enu_44985 - hit modify. Wait until driver is modified.

6: In Vista, go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-4_vista32_dd_ccc_enu_44985 (Or whatever the driver installation folder was called), and run the SETUP.EXE. Please note you might see a "Driver is not WHQL certified", ignore this, as it is a side effect of the modification.

7: Wait until Install is finished and reboot. Enjoy the new drivers!
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Find
Drumsfellow Offline

I've tried this, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I've downloaded MSXML 6.0, but it won't install on my computer cause it says there's already an existing version of the program. When I try to delete that in Add or Remove Programs (it's listed as "MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459)"), I get an error saying "Fatal error during installation." :/

I already have .net framework installed, so I don't think that's the problem.

I've tried using the program (Mobility Modder) anyway, but it doesn't do anything--the drivers won't install, just like before.
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Find
Cyborg34572 Offline

You must not have uninstalled your old drivers properly or something, because i use Ati mobility driver 10.7 (from ati website) with my laptops HD2600 and the game runs fine.

When uninstalling the drivers do this
1: Go toStart - control panel - Add remove programs and run the ATI Software Uninstall Utility
First Uninstall ATI Drivers, then uninstall Catalyst Control Center , after that uninstall ATI Software Uninstall Utility (Itl probably ask you to restart after this not sure)

Thatl uninstall most the drivers but there still some old files left that will be used and not replaced when you install new drivers.

2: So what you wanna do is download "drivercleaner", restart your pc then boot up in safe mode. You wanna boot up in safe mode because that way none of the ati drivers will be in use and they can be deleted. So in safemode use drivercleaner to erase everything about ati drivers or catalyst control center, After that boot up normaly then download and install the latest mobility driver from ATI's website. They just recently released drivers specialy made for laptop video cards so theres pretty much no need for mobility modder anymore (Unless you wanna use third party drivers like XtremeG. But i woudnt recommend those cause they dont really work well with mobility modder, probably will just lessen your performance).

If it doesnt work after that then id say its not a driver issue, or that maybe the drivers dont work well with your video card idk.
09-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Find