Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Laptop. No Custom Stories!
BowserBros65
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Sad  New Laptop. No Custom Stories!
Ok here's the lowdown: My laptop screen got damaged and stopped working, so I got a new laptop. I transferred my Amnesia files from my old laptop onto an usb drive, booted up my new one, and uploaded the files. but when I opened Amnesia, all my custom stories were gone! not gone from the folder, gone from the custom story menu in game. Not only that, but when I tried installing more custom stories, they wouldn't show up either! I followed all the proper steps of installing custom stories (at least i'm pretty sure I did), yet nothing. zip. nada. now what? can that be fixed? or am I screwed over?Sad
01-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: New Laptop. No Custom Stories!
Look in Amnesia's resources.cfg file. It is located in the same folder alongside Amnesia.exe.

Make sure at the end, there is a line looking for information in the custom_stories folder, it should look like this:

<Directory Path="/custom_stories" AddSubDirs="true" />
If not, append it to the end of the resources list. This will add the custom_stories folder to the directories that Amnesia searches for files in and add them to the custom stories resource list.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
01-31-2016, 12:39 AM
Find
BowserBros65
Unregistered

(01-31-2016, 12:39 AM)Romulator Wrote: Look in Amnesia's resources.cfg file. It is located in the same folder alongside Amnesia.exe.

Make sure at the end, there is a line looking for information in the custom_stories folder, it should look like this:

<Directory Path="/custom_stories" AddSubDirs="true" />
If not, append it to the end of the resources list. This will add the custom_stories folder to the directories that Amnesia searches for files in and add them to the custom stories resource list.
I have the steam version. does this still apply?Huh
01-31-2016, 01:40 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Yes. It works the same for retail and Steam.

01-31-2016, 02:02 AM
Find
BowserBro65
Unregistered

(01-31-2016, 02:02 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Yes. It works the same for retail and Steam.
It...didn't work.ConfusedUndecided
01-31-2016, 02:09 AM
BowserBros65
Unregistered

(01-31-2016, 02:02 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Yes. It works the same for retail and Steam.
What am I gonna do now? sorry for the double post btw!
01-31-2016, 06:09 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Could you type the path to your custom stories folder?

Maybe you can try running Amnesia as admin, if there is permission trouble.

01-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Find
BowserBros65
Unregistered

(01-31-2016, 06:04 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Could you type the path to your custom stories folder?

Maybe you can try running Amnesia as admin, if there is permission trouble.
It's my own laptop. I get admin privileges the moment I turn it on and log on. I think the problem may lie with the fact that I have amnesia related folders everywhere. I even accidentally put a main folder into a customs folder into another main folder....I just made it worse, didn't I?Sad
01-31-2016, 07:01 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

You are an administrator, but you're not always running everything as an administrator. That would be highly insecure.

Right click Amnesia and select "Run as administrator." You will then get an admin prompt. That's how you run something with extra privileges.

Can you be a bit more specific than "folders everywhere"? Not sure I understand your last statement, but if you mess up a custom story's folder structure, it won't show up.

01-31-2016, 08:37 PM
Find
BowserBros65
Unregistered

(01-31-2016, 08:37 PM)Mudbill Wrote: You are an administrator, but you're not always running everything as an administrator. That would be highly insecure.

Right click Amnesia and select "Run as administrator." You will then get an admin prompt. That's how you run something with extra privileges.

Can you be a bit more specific than "folders everywhere"? Not sure I understand your last statement, but if you mess up a custom story's folder structure, it won't show up.
OK. I'll see. since I have the Steam version, am I or am I NOT supposed to put the custom stories folder in the redist folder? I forget.
01-31-2016, 10:23 PM
Jump to the post that solved this thread.