Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laboratory glitch, help needed
Batman55 Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago Laboratory glitch, help needed

The problem is after I go down the staircase in the Laboratory (I'm early in the game, in the Entrance Hall), the graphics kind of "double." It makes the game nearly unplayable and does not go away once it starts, not even after leaving the area. It's not present when loading from the Laboratory, but it comes right back as soon as I start moving around in there.

I searched around a little bit on this forum and have not seen this specific glitch mentioned anywhere. I have the retail version and have patched it to v. 1.01, before playing it in fact. So there is no issue of using a savegame from 1.0.

My desktop computer meets all the recommended system specs. I'm using Windows 7, 32 bit, and I have an ATI X800 card. My drivers are up-to-date. There are no longer any driver updates for the X800 as it's an older video card--it's moved to a "legacy support structure." Here is what ATI says on the Driver Update page for the Radeon X800:

"Note: AMD’s DirectX 9 ATI Radeon graphics accelerators are not officially supported under Windows 7. If the user chooses to, they can install the ATI Catalyst Windows Vista graphics driver under Windows 7. Please be aware that none of the new Windows 7 graphics driver (WDDM 1.1) features are supported (as the Windows Vista level graphics driver is limited to WDDM 1.0 level support). Using the ATI Catalyst Windows Vista driver under Windows 7 is not officially supported by AMD, and as such AMD will not provide any form of customer support for users running in this configuration."

The resolution I'm using is 1024x768, medium textures/shadows, all the "sepia, bloom" effects are turned on, however anistropic filtering and all SSAO effects are off.

Has anyone encountered this or figured out a way to get rid of it?
I just tried playing the game with ALL effects off, including shadows, and the problem still occurs.

I was looking forward to this game for a while. Does anyone have any ideas here?
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2010, 09:47 AM by Batman55.)
10-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Find
Datashocker Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Laboratory glitch, help needed

Could you perhaps post a screenshot? That might help with understanding the problem.

The girlish scream that Daniel puts forth as he sees a disturbing event is enough to make my day.
10-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Find
Kim Offline

Read the sticky, specifically sections A:1.2 and X:.

(10-09-2010, 09:23 AM)Batman55 Wrote: My desktop computer meets all the recommended system specs. I'm using Windows 7, 32 bit, and I have an ATI X800 card.
The recommended card is X1000.
Can't really call running unsupported hardware on W7 recommended either.

Quote:"Note: AMD’s DirectX
If I remember correctly, Amnesia doesn't use DirectX it uses OpenGL across all platforms.

A quick scan on Google tells me that X800 have problems with OpenGL.

Someone on the Ogre3D forums found that installing an older version of the drivers solved the problem in his case.

You can find some topics on AMD's forums if you search for: x800 opengl.
10-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Find
Batman55 Offline

Threads: 2

Thanks for the help, Kim! I checked out the links you provided, generally the only possible solution is to install an older version of Catalyst. Call me conservative or naive, but generally I prefer not to install older video card drivers on my system. I have caused problems in the past from fiddling around with things without the knowledge to get myself out of the mess.

I'd love to continue playing Amnesia but don't want the risk of causing more problems for my PC. I use computers all the time, of course, but don't really have a solid understanding of what goes on behind the scenes Tongue

The question I have now is if Frictional may release an additional patch that could address the problems with ATI cards below X1000....?
(10-10-2010, 07:17 AM)Datashocker Wrote: Could you perhaps post a screenshot? That might help with understanding the problem.

I will attach a screenshot.

BTW, I have also tried disabling Catalyst AI, and that had no effect.

Please let me know what you think. It's like a ghost image of the background with line distortion, is it not?

Attached Files
.jpg   Amnesia bug.jpg (Size: 260.51 KB / Downloads: 127)
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2010, 06:53 AM by Batman55.)
10-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Batman55:
Start by trying older graphics drivers and see what happens, sometimes newer drivers are worse. You might also want to look up Omega drivers.

The thing is that it might (and the chances for this is high) be a driver bug in which case it is not something we can fix. So you need to start by trying things like installing older or different drivers. Especially now that link Kim found suggest that this works.
10-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Find
louisianajedi Offline

Hello all,

New here. We bought this game for our daughter who kept hounding us for it. Got it installed, had to buy a new graphics card, downloaded new drivers, ATI Catalyst, etc. Game was playing fine, until she reached the laboratory. Then the screen ghosted or something. Everything was doubled.
.jpg   Blurry amnesia 2.JPG (Size: 44.37 KB / Downloads: 142)

Attached is the hpl.log.
.log   hpl.log (Size: 13.37 KB / Downloads: 138)

Do I need new drivers/old drivers? Trying to keep a teenager happy, here.
07-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Your graphics card is borderline to play the game, do you have the latest drivers installed which I think is Catalyst 10.2 since these graphics cards are no longer supported by AMD. Did you buy the game from Steam or do you have a retail copy. If you got it from steam then do a file integrity check, otherwise try a reinstallation.
07-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Find
louisianajedi Offline

(07-11-2012, 01:38 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Your graphics card is borderline to play the game, do you have the latest drivers installed which I think is Catalyst 10.2 since these graphics cards are no longer supported by AMD. Did you buy the game from Steam or do you have a retail copy. If you got it from steam then do a file integrity check, otherwise try a reinstallation.
Hi,
It is a new retail copy we bought off ebay. I installed it, put in the license key, it crashed, I downloaded the update, then began the graphics update process.

I believe I have Catalyst 10.2. Here is a screen cap of the control center:

.jpg   Catalyst.JPG (Size: 77.27 KB / Downloads: 136)

Would I need to just reinstall the update file, or start over from scratch? Also, where are the save files kept at so I can copy them to another location so as not to lose them.

Thanks
07-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

FG does not sell at ebay
07-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Find
louisianajedi Offline

(07-11-2012, 03:23 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: FG does not sell at ebay
I know, I bought it from game reseller out of New Jersey that sells on ebay. It was a new, unopened copy. Just trying to figure out this glitch so my daughter can play the game. She says it also periodically freezes up in different areas of the game. Didn't know if it was a driver problem or something else.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Find