Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia 6th anniversary community project (?)
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
RE: Amnesia 6th anniversary community project (?)

The problem is that there is no way of knowing if the player completed a level if they pick it from the menu. And that variable is quite important.
08-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

What do you mean? I'm not saying mod and CS as in mini CS-es inside a mod. Just 1 mod that can be started as either or.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2016, 09:50 AM by Mudbill.)
08-24-2016, 09:49 AM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19

Well in that case there is absolutely no need to make the full conversion.
The files you'll add won't be compatible with or shown in custom stories + it will apply to all mods.
08-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I think you misunderstood me. Just imagine a mod, like White Night for example, but which also shows up in Amnesia's custom story list. The player can start it from Amnesia (if they prefer or only know how to use custom stories), or they can start it as a standalone mod to get the extra details, like the menu and other things. They won't need to do anything differently in terms of installation.

Other than possibly being "unnecessary" I don't see any drawbacks in doing this.

08-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

If I may, I think what Spelos is referring to is if there's one global modification required for one map, it applies to others and could potentially break some things.

For example, a custom lantern, there can only be one lantern model and that applies to the whole mod. If I were to use a retextured hand, and Spelos were to use his own retextured hand, they would conflict. Furthermore, there's no way to make only my map use my retextured hand, and Spelos to use his on his map(s).

There could be settings we all agree on, such as removal of night vision, but for some custom assets which could conflict, that's where the errors lie

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2016, 11:23 AM by Romulator.)
08-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Which is why I mentioned not to make any changes which would significantly impact those choosing to boot it as a custom story, basically without any of these features. It would only include extras for those who are familiar with mods and have no problem with them. Things that come to mind are menus, GUIs, custom inventory design, possibly a single custom lantern that everyone agrees on, but does not impact gameplay. Things that would be avoided are changing game properties like player's height/speed, night vision or otherwise things that those running it as CS would get a very different experience from.

Anyway if this is such a big debate I'd rather just drop it. How about my other suggestions?

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM by Mudbill.)
08-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Find
DanielRand47 Away

Threads: 16

I personally prefer we keep it as a CS. It would be easier.
08-26-2016, 01:13 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

(08-26-2016, 01:13 AM)Daniel47 Wrote: I personally prefer we keep it as a CS. It would be easier.

I think an isolated full conversion would make it more of a big project rather than a single custom story.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2016, 12:10 PM by A.M Team.)
08-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I would say otherwise. Of course it takes a few more min to set up, but it only has to be done once and is then realistically the same level of difficulty for the player. If they can install a CS, they can install such a mod, because there's literally no difference. What they choose to do after the installation is their choice.

I think the illusion that it's a bigger project comes from other mods being more grand than most CSs.

This is probably an unnecessary discussion though, since it's already decided. I don't mind that this is just a CS, but I do like the idea of having a hybrid.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2016, 02:24 PM by Mudbill.)
08-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Find
DanielRand47 Away

Threads: 16

(08-26-2016, 02:22 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I would say otherwise. Of course it takes a few more min to set up, but it only has to be done once and is then realistically the same level of difficulty for the player. If they can install a CS, they can install such a mod, because there's literally no difference. What they choose to do after the installation is their choice.

I think the illusion that it's a bigger project comes from other mods being more grand than most CSs.

This is probably an unnecessary discussion though, since it's already decided. I don't mind that this is just a CS, but I do like the idea of having a hybrid.

Honestly a hybrid doesn't sound all that bad. Something like White Nights where you could play it as both a CS and full conversion. Either way it shouldn't impact the individual development of the maps. I'm eager to see what others in the community have come up with in terms of design and gameplay for their maps.
08-26-2016, 09:16 PM
Find