Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Amnesia be available for consoles? No!
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Should Amnesia be available for consoles?

(05-01-2011, 09:46 PM)Arvuti Wrote:
(05-01-2011, 02:30 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Start from controls, please?

(using the xbox 360 controller as a template)

Analoge sticks to move and look around.
A to jump.
X to run.
B to crouch.
Y to interact.

Back button - Inventory
Left Trigger - Grab
Right Trigger - Throw
Left Bumper - Notes shortcut.
Right Bumper - Mementos shortcut.

Up - Lantern
Left, Down and Right - Item shortcuts.

How about leaning?

And what are you going to do to make up for an analogue stick's lack of precision? Keep in mind, thumb moving small, less responsive joystick VS. hand gripping large, precise movement device, controlled by entire forearm and wrist. Amnesia does involve some precise physical interaction, you know. Auto-look-at function? Yuck.

EDIT about leaning:
(05-01-2011, 10:09 PM)gandalf91 Wrote: L1/Left trigger + left analog: lean (for peering around corners).
That would mean you can't move while leaning, effectively making the controls stiffer. The Riddick games did it, and it felt really weird for me.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2011, 10:15 PM by Sexbad.)
05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Website Find
vergilmaycry Offline

Threads: 1

(05-01-2011, 02:30 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: Then again, I'm not an expert.

You are definitely not.

And neither are you. Even if you were, you're being very rude to Mr. benvereen.

(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: Some people just prefer a controller or don't have a capable computer.

Because they want dumbed down version of the game. And a capable computer costs less than a console.

OK. You have two big controversial points here, neither of which you explained or backed up with data. Please do so, since otherwise this is only flamebait. People aren't going to assume you as right unless you can prove it, especially when you aren't giving examples of dumbed down games are gaming capable computers for under 120$ (a 360 in my area).

(04-30-2011, 10:02 PM)benvereen Wrote: Someone who primarily plays games on a console won't miss the mouse and keyboard.

Because mouse and keyboard will be hard for them since they got used to dumbed down controls.

Keyboard controls offer fine tuned mouse controls, which aren't used in Amnesia, since the most complicated mouse movements are turning it in a circle or pushing forward, therefore easily mapped to analog.

(05-01-2011, 05:38 AM)vergilmaycry Wrote: Amnesia would theoretically work on consoles, but I don't think that it'd be a sound investment for FG.

I'd like to hear that theory.
Start from controls, please?

Posted above me. Aside from the technical side, there's also the fees they have to pay to MS/Sony/Ninty and additional dev fees for different hardware. Unlikely to be a return investment.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM by vergilmaycry.)
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

I never leaned and moved while playing the game. It never seemed necessary to me. However, if it's a feature others would like to see incorporated, simply move those controls to L2/R2 (PS3) and left-bumper, right-bumper (xBox 360).
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Find
vergilmaycry Offline

Threads: 1

(05-01-2011, 10:09 PM)gandalf91 Wrote:
(05-01-2011, 02:30 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: I'd like to hear that theory.
Start from controls, please?

I don't know about others, but I for one would appreciate if you didn't go out of your way to make condescending posts on a regular basis. You've gone back and forth with people not over the topic at hand, but instead nitpicking and finding fault with everything other users say.

Couldn't agree more. If you want to act all high-and-mighty, at least pretend that you know what you're talking about and present something to support your claims. Seeing as you're only in your 20s, I highly doubt that you've got any significant head up on the other users to pick apart their opinions without random claims.
05-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

(05-01-2011, 10:12 PM)Lee Wrote:
(05-01-2011, 09:46 PM)Arvuti Wrote:
(05-01-2011, 02:30 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Start from controls, please?

(using the xbox 360 controller as a template)

Analoge sticks to move and look around.
A to jump.
X to run.
B to crouch.
Y to interact.

Back button - Inventory
Left Trigger - Grab
Right Trigger - Throw
Left Bumper - Notes shortcut.
Right Bumper - Mementos shortcut.

Up - Lantern
Left, Down and Right - Item shortcuts.

How about leaning?

And what are you going to do to make up for an analogue stick's lack of precision? Keep in mind, thumb moving small, less responsive joystick VS. hand gripping large, precise movement device, controlled by entire forearm and wrist. Amnesia does involve some precise physical interaction, you know. Auto-look-at function? Yuck.

EDIT about leaning:
(05-01-2011, 10:09 PM)gandalf91 Wrote: L1/Left trigger + left analog: lean (for peering around corners).
That would mean you can't move while leaning, effectively making the controls stiffer. The Riddick games did it, and it felt really weird for me.

Left Bumper and Right Bumper = leans.
Left button = Notes
Right button = Momentos.
05-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(05-01-2011, 10:19 PM)vergilmaycry Wrote: And neither are you. Even if you were, you're being very rude to Mr. benvereen.

I didn't claim I am, did I? Funny.

(05-01-2011, 10:19 PM)vergilmaycry Wrote: OK. You have two big controversial points here, neither of which you explained or backed up with data. Please do so, since otherwise this is only flamebait. People aren't going to assume you as right unless you can prove it, especially when you aren't giving examples of dumbed down games are gaming capable computers for under 120$ (a 360 in my area).

As all none other had?
Dragon Age 2 is one of the latest examples. While PC gamers gave it 7 at most out of 10, console gamers gave 9 out of 10. Hmm, interesting.

(05-01-2011, 10:19 PM)vergilmaycry Wrote: Keyboard controls offer fine tuned mouse controls, which aren't used in Amnesia, since the most complicated mouse movements are turning it in a circle or pushing forward, therefore easily mapped to analog.

Well yeah, you are right.

(05-01-2011, 10:19 PM)vergilmaycry Wrote: Posted above me. Aside from the technical side, there's also the fees they have to pay to MS/Sony/Ninty and additional dev fees for different hardware. Unlikely to be a return investment.

None of the posts above you can explain me how to escape from water monster with precise wheel turning, door opening/closing while running & jumping.

And please everyone stop calling PC gamers elite or mighty. Cross-eyed is the king of the blind's state.

Well, I didn't know I was capable of waking up a sleeping thread with its all might.

05-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Website Find
Gradon Offline

Threads: 0

The elitism in this topic is hilarious.

I grew up on consoles and I use them frequently more than PC's for gaming,
But because of that I use 'dumbed down controls'?
Infact, I believe that the keyboard and mouse configuration is very suited for FPS', I actually prefer it that way.
But the controller is a very good input device itself, it's easy to use, comfortable and works very well for many genre of games.

The controller can be mapped for Amnesia (as noted above), someone even commented somewhere (I can't remember where) that they used Xpadder (or something along the lines) to map Xbox 360 controllers to keyboard and mouse use.
Simply saying 'console gamers are dumb kids, they use dumbed down controls and are stupid' is the worst argument you can think of without even backing up anything!

I play games on my consoles, I play games on my laptop.
I am a gamer; not an elitist hipster with my underground games and my high tech computer.
People need to grow up with these arguments.

Either way, I believe that Amnesia would work quite well on consoles. The only problem I can think of is the mouse controls mapped to buttons and movement being quite clunky.

The only problem will be that of sales - digital downloads probably wouldn't work that well for the game, but it'd probably be better than a physical release.
Profit may not be earned with production of physical copies unfortunately.
But Frictional Games deserves every penny they can obtain I believe!
Certainly approve of console ports of Amnesia.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2011, 11:26 PM by Gradon.)
05-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

(05-01-2011, 11:15 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: As all none other had?
Dragon Age 2 is one of the latest examples. While PC gamers gave it 7 at most out of 10, console gamers gave 9 out of 10. Hmm, interesting.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dragon-age-ii
Oh really ?
On PC more than hundred more people gave it a positive rating.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2011, 11:36 PM by Arvuti.)
05-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

I bet they are the elite & might PC people rated for console versions.

05-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Website Find
Arvuti Offline

There is one thing that I have to ask before I go further, have you even owned/played on a console before ?
05-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Find