Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help! Amnesia crashes when I leave the Study
Pint0 Xtreme Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Help! Amnesia crashes when I leave the Study

I've attempted the solutions proposed above (reinstalling, checking Steam cache-integrity, etc.) as well with no luck on my end. I'm not really looking forward to starting the game all over again (It has been a frightening ride just to get to where I'm at). I'm thinking trying to run my saved game from a different machine to see if I can get back to the Back Hall and then moving my saved games back to my home machine.
05-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Find
Pint0 Xtreme Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Help! Amnesia crashes when I leave the Study

I just tested the save game on a different machine (Win XP) and it still crashes when trying to leave the study. This is a 100% reproducible crash for me. Can anyone from Frictional Games diagnose this? I can attach the save game files (the latest autosave being the one I am loading).
Oh, and here is the crash log generated.

Attached Files
.rar   CrashSaveGames.rar (Size: 1.26 MB / Downloads: 142)
.rar   errorlog-18-05-2011(08.13.31).rar (Size: 10.37 KB / Downloads: 119)
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM by Pint0 Xtreme.)
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Find
Pint0 Xtreme Offline

Okay, I've just tested the save games on a third machine (Win 7) with a fresh Steam install and it's also crashing 100% of the time. I would think this is a fairly easy issue to debug.

Attached Files
.log   errorlog-18-05-2011(19.25.02).log (Size: 66.35 KB / Downloads: 122)
05-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

It could be that the save game and the game itself are from different versions of Amnesia and that is why it crashes, which unfortunately can not be fixed.
05-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Website Find
SolidStack Offline

Threads: 1

Looks like I'll have to give Amnesia a bit of a break since I'm not really looking forward to abandoning my saves and replaying the entire beginning of the game again. Especially if there's no guarantee that this will actually fix the bug. Sad

If anyone does try it though and finds out it works please let us know! I've really been enjoying the game so far and would love to continue.
05-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Find
Pint0 Xtreme Offline

(05-19-2011, 06:00 AM)jens Wrote: It could be that the save game and the game itself are from different versions of Amnesia and that is why it crashes, which unfortunately can not be fixed.

I'm not really convinced that that is the issue. The crash originated while I was playing mid-game, and not from loading the game after an update. It occurred previously when I went into the Study again and attempted to return the Back Hall. When it crashed the first time, I didn't pay it much heed and loaded a previous saved game prior to entering the Study. But after revisiting the Study again, it crashed again when trying to return to the Back Hall. Unfortunately, there isn't a way for me to progress in the game by loading a previous saved game because I will have to go back into the Study to retrieve the rod. And the game will crash when I try to leave the Study. This happens all the time on three different machines I've attempted it on.
05-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Find
ENDG4MER Offline

Started a new game and profile and followed the exact pattern of exploration as in the save that the crash was prevalent in, and this time was able to move on without issue. It seems likely to me, from a computing standpoint, that a save created before the 5/17 update could be looking for something that isn't there any longer, or has been altered. Regardless, anyone who has this problem is advised to start a new game, as it should clear out the issue.
05-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Find
smeidinger Offline

I also receive the exact same error while leaving the Study as described by Pint0 Xtreme, SolidStack and others. I can't progress past this point.
(05-21-2011, 01:44 AM)smeidinger Wrote: I also receive the exact same error while leaving the Study as described by Pint0 Xtreme, SolidStack and others. I can't progress past this point.

Attached is the log.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 7.62 KB / Downloads: 118)
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 01:51 AM by smeidinger.)
05-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Find
theguardianlegend Offline

(05-21-2011, 01:44 AM)smeidinger Wrote: I also receive the exact same error while leaving the Study as described by Pint0 Xtreme, SolidStack and others. I can't progress past this point.

Attached is the log.

i'm getting the EXACT same crash. my issue doesn't differ at all-- attempting to leave the study results in a crash to my desktop with the exact same error message. loading a prior save game lets me explore other rooms without fault, but upon re-entry of the study, crashes again. i've loaded my save-game onto a different machine, and the results are the same. I was not privy to the update on 5/17 until i explored this forum, but i also believe it may be an issue with the update. it is unfortunate that i'll have to restart the game entirely (or so it would seem at this point), but the game is engaging enough that i look forward to getting back to the study in a new game, and resuming the story as i know it thus far,

...just kind of a shame that i'll have to go through everything again. hope someone can find a concrete solution to this problem before i'm done re-doing my game. if not, i'll report back that the new game worked for me as well-- i just can't say that that's a practical solution, even though it might be the ONLY one. great work on the game irrational, hope you can pinpoint this problem.
okay, so right after leaving my last post (directly above this one), i decided to do an experiment. it occured to me that one can load older savegames, instead of just the most recent auto-save. i was able to load a save from the first time i entered the back hall (as i assume most will be able to do), and i re-entered the study. i grabbed all attainable items, including the elevator rod, and left the study room with success.

so it would seem that something about the update, in relation to save-games that place the player in an "already having entered the back hall" point in time, run the risk of being corrupt somehow.

my advice to players dealing with this issue is to load a samegame right before entering the back hall, and to explore the study rooms before exploring any other ones back there. i have not yet experimented with re-loading the pre- back hall savegame and exploring other rooms before exploring the study (and i probably never will, as long as my games don't crash any more), but i'm willing to bet that this is a viable solution.

and hopefully, this narrows it down for the frictional games troubleshooters. "update", "existing saves in the back hall", and "having entered other rooms before the study, in the middle of the update", are keywords here. good luck guys (players and developers).

i'm back in the game, without having to start the whole damned thing over-- woohoo!!!! i hope other players report back here with similar success...
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 05:24 AM by theguardianlegend.)
05-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

all these happen because you updated the game while playing. As the devs said when released the retail v1.2 update:

Quote:DO NOT upgrade if you are in the middle of a game. Depending on where you upgrade you might experience some oddities due to save game differences between 1.0 and 1.0.1.

If you update the game you should start a new game although most of the times you won't have problems. But if you do you can do three things:

1) Start from a previous save before the current chamber
2) Reinstall the game as it was before the update
3) Start a new game
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 10:56 AM by plutomaniac.)
05-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Find