Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What's the reason? For the darkness, I mean...
Cursed Lemon Offline

Threads: 4
What's the reason? For the darkness, I mean...

What IS the reason for the darkness in the Refinery?
05-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: What's the reason? For the darkness, I mean...

(05-26-2011, 09:09 PM)Cursed Lemon Wrote: What IS the reason for the darkness in the Refinery?

No clue, I don't think we're ever told, I merely surmised that there were things down there at the time that Alexander didn't want Daniel to see
05-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Website Find
Serena Offline

Threads: 2

I got the impression he was implying a reference to the Shadow. Just sounds like subtle storytelling to me. For practicality purposes, keeping a wine cellar dark would extend the life of your stores. Daniel's statement was in my opinion, just as much related to the Shadow as it was the actual darkness of the corridors. A very subtle pun...
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2011, 03:02 AM by Serena.)
05-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Find
FrozenStar Offline

Threads: 2

I think it was more of a fair warning. This is where you encounter the first monster, right?
As you get the flashback talk at the beginning and once you reach the end to the first big chamber, you see a monster walking by the door in the next room.
So it's a warning to keep the lantern off so the monster doesn't see you in my opinion.
05-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Find
Sennep Offline

Threads: 6

But i am pretty sure the monster can't see you. It just walks away and vanish.
05-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Find
Cursed Lemon Offline

Threads: 4

(05-27-2011, 07:58 PM)FrozenStar Wrote: I think it was more of a fair warning. This is where you encounter the first monster, right?
As you get the flashback talk at the beginning and once you reach the end to the first big chamber, you see a monster walking by the door in the next room.
So it's a warning to keep the lantern off so the monster doesn't see you in my opinion.

Aren't the monsters servants of Alexander, though?
05-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Find
Frost Offline

Threads: 8

(05-27-2011, 08:09 PM)Sennep Wrote: But i am pretty sure the monster can't see you. It just walks away and vanish.

If you run right up to it, it will certainly see you. And kill you.

And yes, they are Alexander's servants.

As for the darkness, I don't think there is a real reason explained in-game. I think it's just to creep the player out.
05-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

(05-27-2011, 08:24 PM)Frost Wrote:
(05-27-2011, 08:09 PM)Sennep Wrote: But i am pretty sure the monster can't see you. It just walks away and vanish.
If you run right up to it, it will certainly see you. And kill you.

This i can confirm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T326-xWrqqE&t=245

The discussion about the darkness is most likely just a device to draw your attention to it. This is probably a balance of scaring with the darkness and reminding the player to light stuff up with the speech - similar to the note in storage. An in-game explanation as to why the room needs to be kept that dark doesn't really jump out straight away - perhaps it was a rather busy area for Alexander's servants, which tended to keep out of view of Daniel.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2011, 03:16 AM by Apjjm.)
05-28-2011, 03:08 AM
Find
Skandis Offline

Threads: 5

From a gameplay perspective:
Spoiler below!
The refinery is the first time the player meets any sort of monster. Although it can't attack you, it works as a decent tutorial. Telling you to remain in the darkness and stay on track seems reasonable then, as lingering around with your lantern out will get you killed in later portions of the game

From a storyline perspective:
Spoiler below!
The apparition was lingering in the refinery for a reason. It's highly unlikely that Alexander just set out his gatherers on patrol for no reason whatsoever. In other words, it's pretty safe to assume that something at least used to go down in the refinery, but perhaps it was moved now that the player walks through it. For instance, there's at least one locked door there. Not having Daniel find some mangles corpses when he hardly knows Alexander makes decent sense.

It also seems like the gatherers aren't the brightest bunch. If Daniel just ran away into some corner and was found by a gatherer without Alexander near him, there's a good chance he'd get seriously hurt.
05-28-2011, 04:59 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

(05-28-2011, 04:59 AM)Skandis Wrote: From a gameplay perspective:
Spoiler below!
The refinery is the first time the player meets any sort of monster. Although it can't attack you, it works as a decent tutorial. Telling you to remain in the darkness and stay on track seems reasonable then, as lingering around with your lantern out will get you killed in later portions of the game

Wrong. It is the third (or fourth depending on how you play) monster you encounter and it can and will attack you if you get too close.

I do like your explanation as it pertains to the storyline though.
05-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Find