Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia Hardcore Mode
Istrebitel Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Amnesia Hardcore Mode

I think perfectly fine hardcore mode is:

1) No pause during inventory or game menu open
2) Enemies do not disappear after you successfully hidden from them (and they dont spawn too - they are always there, and if a monster is needed for a spawn, it is instead moved from his position to the needed position and given orders) (except scripted places like game start or guest room-like script ofc)
3) Enemies partol randomly
4) Quest items are hidden in one of different places - so you have new quest item locations every time and you really have to search for it.
5) Monsters trigger not only when you pick up quest item but can also trigger when you enter a room with a quest item or after a random amount of time of you entering said room
6) You cannot leave a level through a level-door if a monster is in "attack mode" or "search mode" on you (evil agressive music) (except places where you must, obviously, do it by game story).
*) Optionally - death is final (it doesnt delete a save - just marks it as dead like in Diablo 2 hardcore).
This would require an autosave feature though to protect from ctrl+alt+del quits and basic protection from save copying (like, mark the hash of a last save somewhere in the game inner files or registry or w/e)
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2011, 10:07 AM by Istrebitel.)
07-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Quote:It actually is a real death. It uses the CheckPoint callback, which is only triggered when the player dies.

Ah, ok. I haven't looked through the scripts myself 'cause I know nothing about scripting in Amnesia.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
07-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Or may be we can go further with "real death".
As for real.

Big Grin

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Find
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13

Hardcore mode sounds interesting, but I don't know if exiting to desktop when you die would work too well in a longer game.. That really tested my patience in Justine; in the main game it would make me tear my hair out, I'm sure. Maybe using limited saves would work. You can only save so many times, or in certain places, and then change the monster spawn/ item locations are different to mix things up a bit.

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
07-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Find
Funman Offline

Threads: 10

Oh gosh, that would be hard, but it would be awesome.
07-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21

(07-09-2011, 08:01 AM)DamnNoHtml Wrote:
(07-08-2011, 10:38 PM)nackidno Wrote: I'm pretty sure it's not "real death" in the transept, just a script that make it seem like you die, but the game mechanics of death is not a part of the script, just what I think. And even if it is "real dying", they scripted it to not make the game spawn you by the nearest checkpoint but to transport you to the cell. If they pull that off by scripting, I'm pretty sure they can prevent the script from reaching the command which deletes the save, the same way the old script prevents you from dying for real.

It actually is a real death. It uses the CheckPoint callback, which is only triggered when the player dies.

hmm does that keep the enemies in the map? How do i do that?
07-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Find
Cataclysm Offline

Threads: 3

I would say this is a good idea, but I think they should do it like Dead Space 2. Only 3 saves are allowed through out the game. So instead of, oh shoot I died, I'm screwed *rage*. Instead, having to carefully plan your saves.

If guns don't kill people, People kill people. Then toasters don't toast toast, Toast toast toast

[Image: 2b5wu9.png]

07-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Find
Funman Offline

Threads: 10

Yeah, that's a good idea.
07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Find
ajvitaly Offline

Threads: 12

I think a hardcore mode of sorts would make for a great reason to replay the game.
07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Find