Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Old Games Freakin' Rock
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Old Games Freakin' Rock

To get back on subject:

(12-27-2012, 11:34 AM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 01:09 AM)Acies Wrote: - Heroes of might and magic 3=

(12-27-2012, 01:32 AM)crisosphinx Wrote: -Heroes 3 ..... of Might and Magic: Complete Edition

I want to hug you two right now. Big Grin
Good, because Heroes is an awesome game series <3

I wish to not have ANY discussions in this thread, criticizing old games/ new games. Statyk, if you'd be so kind as to delete any of the threads talking about how shooters are game breaking, any threads saying ignore people, etc., that would be wonderful. This is a friendly thread of people talking about games they loved when they were kids and sharing them with people now.

Let's keep it to that subject only, please.

For example, Acies, you loved GEX? I tried playing it when I was little, I had the hardest time playing it!!! Did you beat it?! Big Grin

(12-27-2012, 05:07 AM)Danny Boy Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 04:49 AM)crisosphinx Wrote: Homeword... or Homeworld? Big Grin

Homeworld, Homeworld cataclysm, and Homeworld 2! Why do you think I said "series" to begin whit?

I had homeworld Cataclysm. Never played it though. Wouldn't run on my computers.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM by crisosphinx.)
12-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Thats a shame... They're all great games! Still play HW2 online from times to times Smile
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM by Danny Boy.)
12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Haha I didn't manage to beat it - but I believe I made my way through 80% of the game :] I don't think it's anything I'd like today.

I also remember playing homeworld - complex game!(?) Strategy in three dimensions, there was also all kinds of attack formations you could assign your ships.

Oh, while on that, I totally forgot all of the old strategy games I used to play!

- Red Alert 1 & 2

- Tiberian sun 1 + expansion

- Starcraft 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyvH9Gm76Os

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCeImbnBuvY

Ah - those tracks are awesome.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

12-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(12-27-2012, 03:03 PM)nackidno Wrote: I have played NFS (the old ones) and I see no emotional build up, or any substance of a plot.. It's pretty much only a racing game.

Are you really believing NFS is a game with story?
I was not talking about racing games primary. But also racing games should mediate emotions like a real driver would feel.
12-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(12-27-2012, 05:21 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 03:03 PM)nackidno Wrote: I have played NFS (the old ones) and I see no emotional build up, or any substance of a plot.. It's pretty much only a racing game.

Are you really believing NFS is a game with story?
I was not talking about racing games primary. But also racing games should mediate emotions like a real driver would feel.

I see where you are coming from; however, can I ask you to refrain from making a fight/ debate on this thread about the qualities of games? I should have kept the year of the games to 2002 and earlier, but I was requested to include others in more recent times. Honestly, games are just portals into new lives and stories. If we can't relate with a specific genre, it's just because we can't relate.

I enjoy shooters, I enjoy some of the emotion captured in them, but until we do this:
Spoiler below!

then we will never have true emotions in a shooter. The same goes with most racing games, most adventure games, arcade games, etc. Do you really know what it feels like to have a swarm of aliens, in a block format, coming down at you while you have to kill them (space invaders)? No, you don't.

But it's fun. That's what designing and playing a game is about, having fun. So stop the debate, and write your favorite games down from 1971-2006. Thank you.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
12-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(12-27-2012, 05:21 PM)Googolplex Wrote:

But also racing games should mediate emotions like a real driver would feel.

No. They shouldn't. Racing games can be whatever the heck the developers want. The same goes whit every single game genre. Games do not need to be emotionally realistic for them to be good games. Portal 2 for example. It did not made me feel like I was a lab rat constantly being tested. It actually made me fell exited while solving the puzzles as well amused while hearing the extremely funny lines of each character. Lines of which dragged me off from the realistically frustrating scenario that would take place if valve followed your Ideals.

And to be honest. Having comedy that take us away from reality makes Portal much more special if it were to be a emotional realistic experience.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM by Danny Boy.)
12-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Website Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

daaamn i remember playing this game like 10 years ago if not more. Too bad it died now.

SHAZBOT!

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
12-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Find
brute360 Offline

Threads: 0

Descent 2
Master of Orion 1 & 2
System Shock series
Thief series
Jagged Alliance 2
Realms of the Haunting
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM by brute360.)
12-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(12-27-2012, 05:35 PM)crisosphinx Wrote: But it's fun. That's what designing and playing a game is about, having fun.

EXACTLY. Why does everyone feel like every game has to be a novel written by some famous author or something? The premise of a game is for entertainment and enjoyment. Much like a racing game would be, no matter what racing game it is. If someone likes Need For Speed, or Burnout, or Midnight Club, etc, let them like it because it served its purpose for them. FUN. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be a story. Sometimes I would rather just have a game to pick up and play, not spend so much time just understanding the story. Look at Pac-man and Minecraft for crying out loud.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012, 06:41 PM by Statyk.)
12-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Find
Oscar House Offline

Threads: 3

Max Payne 1 and 2 with their delicious slow-mo action
Call of Duty 1, before WW2 games were dull
I'm Going In (dat stealth)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, even though I don't like controlling squads, this was fun stuff
007 Nightfire (steeeeaalth)
Mafia (one of the best games I've ever played, I must say)
NOLF 1 and 2, vaguely remember these being totally amazing
Return to Castle Wolfenstein, because pew pew
Resident Evil 4, definitely one of the best games on the Wii?

Too many shooters?

The Jedi Knight games, played through all of them (yes, even the DOS ones) earlier this year, fun fun fun
TLoZ: Twilight Princess, another great Wii game
Jazz Jackrabbit, 'twas fun in local co-op
Early Harry Potter games (SPONGIFY!)
Grim Fandango (YES, YES)
Broken Sword series, remember these being pretty fun
Commandos 1 and 2, my favourite RTS games ever
Age of Empires, my second favourite RTS

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
12-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Find