Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Was Amnesia your first horror game?
Darkaroth Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game?

If you could call a game with only 2 horror levels in the campaign a horror game. then it would be timesplitters 2 and timesplitters future perfect. if not then yes amnesia would be the first horror game i bought.
02-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(02-20-2012, 09:18 PM)Atwa Wrote: My first one was Silent Hill on the original Playstation. That damn radio still gives me creeps.

After that I have been in love with horror games. Amnesia quickly because my favorite one, no other game has managed to straight up scare me like it does.

I still think SH1 is the best horror game ever, along with Amnesia. Both games present a bit grotesque interpretation and representation of a horror and scare. Instead of a creepy-looking demon with tons of spikes or a disgusting zombie, they give you unusual environment and unusual in design enemies, which is not just "scary" looking, but they do actually have a good, deep idea behind their look and design, acting and existence. This makes setting and universe consistent, interesting for exploration and investigation.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
02-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Find
Dewi Offline

Threads: 1

Amnesia was the first horror game I played, but I still haven't beaten any horror game.
I've been hoping my cousin will finish it for me while I watch, but I don't think that's going to happen.. Maybe I should force myself back to Amnesia..

The reason I wanted (correction, needed) Amnesia was because it seemed so immersive, so real, so scary.. And it was even better than I expected. I continuously look for other horror games that interest me, but the search is not very succesful.
02-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Find
Atwa Offline

Threads: 0

(02-21-2012, 01:03 AM)Kein Wrote:
(02-20-2012, 09:18 PM)Atwa Wrote: My first one was Silent Hill on the original Playstation. That damn radio still gives me creeps.

After that I have been in love with horror games. Amnesia quickly because my favorite one, no other game has managed to straight up scare me like it does.

I still think SH1 is the best horror game ever, along with Amnesia. Both games present a bit grotesque interpretation and representation of a horror and scare. Instead of a creepy-looking demon with tons of spikes or a disgusting zombie, they give you unusual environment and unusual in design enemies, which is not just "scary" looking, but they do actually have a good, deep idea behind their look and design, acting and existence. This makes setting and universe consistent, interesting for exploration and investigation.

While I do think both Amnesia and Silent Hill have quite excellent and grotesque monster design you are right, the strength of these games does not lie in how the monsters look but rather how they are used. Take Dead Space as an example, a supposedly scary game. It has great graphics and quite good enemy design but still not scary in the least cause the game keeps throwing these enemies at you every opportunity they get.

With how the human brain works we are always more afraid of what we cannot see. Therefor the term less is more applies in very high degree to horror games. Both Amnesia and Silent Hill only shows us the monsters enough to create a dread towards them but never so much as making us used to their presence. In reality most the time is spent expecting a monster to show up that never does. This tension is infinitely higher than any horde of monsters in front of you could ever do.

Silent Hill 1,2,3(and 4 to a certain extent) hold a very dear place in my heart for really being the pioneers of this more psychological horror experience. The reason Amnesia overtook them is probably because of me being a huge HP Lovecraft fan and Amnesia is basically one of his stories in playable format.

I wish that this type of horror could sell millions of copies instead of Dead Space. But I guess the mainstream audience don't want to get scared. At least not in the degree that Amnesia is capable of.

(02-21-2012, 01:29 AM)Dewi Wrote: Amnesia was the first horror game I played, but I still haven't beaten any horror game.
I've been hoping my cousin will finish it for me while I watch, but I don't think that's going to happen.. Maybe I should force myself back to Amnesia..

The reason I wanted (correction, needed) Amnesia was because it seemed so immersive, so real, so scary.. And it was even better than I expected. I continuously look for other horror games that interest me, but the search is not very succesful.

Have you tried Condemned: Criminal Origins, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Silent Hill 2 and 3, System Shock 2, Clive Barkers: Undying. The last two are a bit older but the rest should be no problem if you are petty about graphics. All are available on PC.

Obviously Penumbra too but that should go without saying! Sleepy
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2012, 01:48 AM by Atwa.)
02-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Find
EJM Offline

I never really liked horror games, at all actually, but when I saw a funny video about amnesia (storage part), I quite liked the atmosphere, did a bit more research about the game, checked a couple of gameplay videos (no not to the point of spoiling myself), and I loved every bit of it.

Don't get me wrong, I hesitated a bit, but the environment/atmosphere in the game, the fact that you can't defend yourself like other games, and that it's focusing on exploration and the unknown, I just thought hell, I'm so getting this Big Grin

And now? I can't get enough of the thing :3
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM by EJM.)
02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Find
Dewi Offline

(02-21-2012, 01:41 AM)Atwa Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 01:29 AM)Dewi Wrote: Amnesia was the first horror game I played, but I still haven't beaten any horror game.

Have you tried Condemned: Criminal Origins, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Silent Hill 2 and 3, System Shock 2, Clive Barkers: Undying. The last two are a bit older but the rest should be no problem if you are petty about graphics. All are available on PC.

Those don't really interest me, sadly. Horror games must be in first person for me, as well as not include weapons (I hate FPS games with a burning passion).

Penumbra is interesting, of course, but I feel like it's downgrading to a worse game.
Kind of like how I played Skyrim and then got Oblivion but only played it for one hour due to the game being worse with graphics, UI, et cetera.
02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Find
Atwa Offline

Threads: 0

(02-21-2012, 04:22 PM)Dewi Wrote:
(02-21-2012, 01:41 AM)Atwa Wrote:

Those don't really interest me, sadly. Horror games must be in first person for me, as well as not include weapons (I hate FPS games with a burning passion).

Penumbra is interesting, of course, but I feel like it's downgrading to a worse game.
Kind of like how I played Skyrim and then got Oblivion but only played it for one hour due to the game being worse with graphics, UI, et cetera.
I would never think of Penumbra as a downgrade in comparison to Amnesia. Age does not reduce the quality and there are people that even prefer Penumbra to Amnesia. It is by far the games that are closest to Amnesia so if you want something like that I feel its a must to pick them up. They are relatively cheap anyway.
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Find
Victor Offline

Threads: 19

First, FEAR, but I never actually finished it, 'cause after some time, it became vevry veeeeeeeeeeery boooooring... And then I searched for more horror games and then I've met Amnesia, but it looked TOO FUCKING SCARY, but I liked the engine that I saw on the trailer, so I searched more about it and I found Penumbra. I played Penumbra first because I thought it was less scarier than Amnesia. And when I finished the series, I played Amnesia. I took a long time in the first 10 minutes of Amnesia, like, playing 5 seconds every day, but after this, a map a day... But I preferred the story of Penumbra... Why am I saying all of that in a topic called "Was Amnesia your first horror game?"? I don't know.
02-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Atwa

Yeah, that is exactly what I meant, I just failed to express it properly with my english. DeadSpace absed on a concept of a simple, mathematical survival: be ready that spooky monster will jump out of nowhere and try to maintain your supply. After a hour or two you will get used to it, there are no more scary/horror factor, only action gameplay. SH-like games, in other hand, keep you under pressure every time, you have no idea what could happen next time, instead of looking for monster you try to avoid them because this is more reasonable.

Quote:Have you tried Condemned: Criminal Origins
Condemned is a horror game now?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
02-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Find
A Tricky Carnie Offline

Threads: 15

The first horror game I was exposed to was Silent Hill 2, I watched my sister play through the whole game, and I couldn't sleep at all for weeks (I was probably about 9-10).

The first horror game I played was F.E.A.R., but I never finished it. The first horror game I finished was Resident Evil 4 Wii edition (I owned on the PS2 as well but never beat it, I found aiming on the Wii much easier than with the PS2 controller). Then eventually I picked up Dead Space and Dead Space 2.

After seeing the Zero Punctuation review for Minecraft, I started to watch his older videos, which led me to his Amnesia review (which I didn't think much of at the time.) Then on a horror games thread on another forum, someone linked the "HOLY SHIT AMNESIA WHAT THE FUCK" video, which ultimately led to me and my friend buying it, and doing a Let's Play of it (Amnesia is now my favorite game of all time, seconded only by The Binding of Isaac). After Amnesia I decided to check out the Penumbra games, beat Overture and Black Plague, but never got far with Requiem.

02-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Find