Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Clord Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(04-22-2013, 11:40 AM)Delirium92 Wrote:
(04-22-2013, 11:11 AM)Dogfood Wrote: I can't blame them for delaying so much. People expect so much out of them and put a great lot of pressure so they don't want to dissapoint

Understandable, but it doesn't matter how much they delay the game, they can't please everyone. There's only so much time you can sit there and polish something. Have you ever drawn a picture and thought it looked fantastic? You start adding all these extra little things and you end up ruining it? Delaying this game just so the fans will be happy is a bad idea and not to mention impractical, I'm happy with what I saw in the trailer; I thought it looked good, bottom line is they can't please everyone no matter how many delays they put on its release.

I think Duke Nukem Forever is a great example of this. They kept scrapping the game and did it over and over again until it became commercial turd. Good ideas we saw on the various trailers over the years were scrapped.

(04-22-2013, 01:45 AM)Kman Wrote: Actually on topic though I'm gonna have to agree that the screenshots do kinda suck, at least lighting wise. Yes, horror games are supposed to be dark, but not so fucking dark that you literally can't make out the environment, then it's just stupid. When I first got amnesia, I was having gamma issues and I literally could not see a single thing, I seriously played the first 5 or so maps by banging my face against the wall trying to find where the next hallway was and I ended up completely missing the first 5 or 6 scares because of it. That's not scary, it's just annoying.

Darkness in horror games only works when the developers utilize contrast between dark and light, when everything is dark it loses it's effect. In the prison, for example, even though for the most part it was dark there were still torches and cracks in the ceiling letting light in or some other source of light in every hallway and room. Even in ones where there wasn't any it was still acceptable because the night vision still would give you this contrast.

Jesus christ guys, stop being such fanboys, it's possible for them to release content that isn't amazing you know.

For me it was fine. Then again I calibrated my monitor for gaming. If your monitor settings are at least close how the game is intended to be played, you see where you are going to.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM by Clord.)
04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

(04-22-2013, 10:08 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Themaagen Wrote:Yeah I actually want to talk about the Jack the Ripper thing, because since hearing that the game would be in london in 1899, i've been expecting something about JTR in the game Smile But I suppose 1899 is a few years after he supposedly stopped?
Yeah, I suppose. But since he never got caught the game could still use him! ^^ Maybe he's the professor? Some wild theories suggest, after all, that he might have been a man with medical knowledge, due to the fact that he removed organs from his victims. So maybe after his little murder spree he's moved on to bigger endeavours...

I doubt they'd use Jack The Ripper, it doesn't fit into it all, he's too famous.
04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

<post to see new post>

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Thanks
04-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: I doubt they'd use Jack The Ripper, it doesn't fit into it all, he's too famous.
Yeah... maybe it's just a little easter egg after all. Ot he'll be featured as some sort of background character. Like, the player finds a newspaper speculating about whether the recent events could have something to do with him Wink
04-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

(04-22-2013, 01:57 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: I doubt they'd use Jack The Ripper, it doesn't fit into it all, he's too famous.
Yeah... maybe it's just a little easter egg after all. Ot he'll be featured as some sort of background character. Like, the player finds a newspaper speculating about whether the recent events could have something to do with him Wink

Maybe he'll appear in the game but if they seriously use him in the plot then I dunno, that just doesn't seem original enough for an Amnesia game.
04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

I can't imagine they'd have jack the ripper in this game... that just doesn't make sense from any angle. The street name is probably just coincidence.
04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Find
Themaagen Offline

I meant use Jack the Ripper in kinda the same way they used The Order of the Black Eagle. Diaries, newspaper articles, that sorta thing Smile And I can't think of all the streets of London, they would coincidently choose those streets, but yeah maybe who knows Smile

But that's what I love with Amnesia -historical details. What other game takes place in the 1800 Prussia? Smile
Just remembered reading that the game would take place in the past and present, so we might have scenes around the time of Jack the Ripper :p Maybe just a dialog "Have you heard of this Jack the Ripper fellow? " "Oh yes, dreadful! Why can't he be more civilised! "
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM by Themaagen.)
04-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(04-22-2013, 03:26 PM)Themaagen Wrote: I meant use Jack the Ripper in kinda the same way they used The Order of the Black Eagle. Diaries, newspaper articles, that sorta thing Smile And I can't think of all the streets of London, they would coincidently choose those streets, but yeah maybe who knows Smile

But that's what I love with Amnesia -historical details. What other game takes place in the 1800 Prussia? Smile
Just remembered reading that the game would take place in the past and present, so we might have scenes around the time of Jack the Ripper :p Maybe just a dialog "Have you heard of this Jack the Ripper fellow? " "Oh yes, dreadful! Why can't he be more civilised! "

Well, I really hope not... seems kinda cheesy for an FG game.
04-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Find
TiberiusBond Offline

(04-22-2013, 01:22 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote: I doubt they'd use Jack The Ripper, it doesn't fit into it all, he's too famous.

2 of the screenshots have the name of streets where 2 of his victims were murdered, so I guess they at least easter egg'd it

[Image: V642RRt.gif]
04-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Find