Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Outlast
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11
RE: IGN calls Outlast, "The next Amnesia"

Well the guy who wrote the bloody-disgusting article seems equally skeptical, but to quote Destructoid,

"With survival horror it’s all about the execution, and whilst Outlast’s premise of possible corporate experiments gone wrong in a former asylum feels familiar, the execution is what matters. At one point I jumped backwards so suddenly I almost flung the mouse off the desk.”

That alone makes me interested in the game.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 04:49 AM by bluel0bster.)
03-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(03-27-2013, 03:40 AM)Statyk Wrote: Alien Movie than a horror game.

Aliens!!! Goddammit, Aliens! Not Alien, but Aliens.

Fuck.
03-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Who let you back on the internet?
03-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

>IGN

pls no
03-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(03-27-2013, 03:01 AM)atilathegun Wrote: Wasn't sure what to think of this game, but according to IGN it's creepy as hell. Here's a link to the article covering their impressions from the demo, and it also has the trailer embedded in the page:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/26/i...-game-ever

Thoughts?
Recopying my post from another topic:
(03-23-2013, 10:49 AM)felixmole Wrote: I'm not playing this. Gah, I don't know why, but for some reason, I can sense this is very different from Amnesia (and a bit too much jump-scary).

It is due out in 2013. Hope AMFP comes out before it, otherwise it might get less publicity, especially if they both come out at the same period.

When watching their trailer, I don't feel the same sensations as when watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...KZKk#t=77s or [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5uoZh_uatQ[/url].
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM by felixmole.)
03-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(03-27-2013, 07:11 AM)Deep One Wrote: >IGN

pls no

Personally, in contrast to what seems to be popular opinion, I don't think that lowly of IGN at all. They cover a lot of video game news, and I've been happily receiving it from them for the past couple years, even if not all their articles are great.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: "shapes dash out the corner of your eye, lights conveniently shut off when you enter certain rooms, and bodies that seem dead suddenly burst to life."
"... mustered up the courage to turn my camera back on, and was instantly met with the lovely sight of my nightmarish pursuer staring right at me."
Yeah, well...that's all just jumpscares he's describing there. Especially the first ones are the standard stuff that even Doom 3 already did back then. The trailer doesn't really convince me either - especially that whole body animation stuff (having the character touch the environment, etc) feels gimmicky as hell. Not to mention the fact that they openly show the enemy in the trailer - what a bunch of amateurs! Big Grin
And just as a reminder: Amnesia didn't need any extra dramatic horror-movie violin shreeking in their trailer to make it feel tense... Wink

So, no, I don't think this will be the "next Amnesia" or whatever. Still, if it's cheap enough I think I'll give it a try when it comes out.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I fucking hate camcorder horror, but I will probably give it a chance when it comes out. It actually looks like it could turn out decently.

EDIT: But Hirnwirbel is right; "Next Amnesia" is a freaking insult. No way it is going to surpass it.

EDIT2: Okay, seriously:

article Wrote:Outlast is filled with nearly every type of scare imaginable – shapes dash out the corner of your eye, lights conveniently shut off when you enter certain rooms, and bodies that seem dead suddenly burst to life. And the fact that all of this is rendered with such gorgeous visual fidelity makes the mere act of opening a door a Herculean task.

If this is what comprises all of the scares in the game I don't see how it could be good. Honestly, after reading the actual article I went from being interested to completely apathetic.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM by Bridge.)
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

It doesn't look that bad. The trailer had me jump in the end, but like Statyk said, I'm probably gonna wait a bit and if it's cheap I'll probably try it out.
03-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-27-2013, 03:22 AM)atilathegun Wrote:
(03-27-2013, 03:20 AM)Rapture Wrote: What am I supposed to be scared of, listening to those two guys talking or raise my eyebrows in suspicion to a pre-rendered announcement trailer?

Where is the gameplay footage... played by notoriously terrible reporters?

Seems a bit to bright, I hope my Brightness/Gamma setting can be set to -200.

Watch the four minute trailer embedded in the page, near the bottom and keep in mind, like Amnesia, no guns Smile
Looks scary enough to me... though guess there's no really enough to go on yet, just thought them calling it the next Amnesia was interesting.
Thats 4 minute trailer is not a gameplay trailer just because its done in first person(but I think it might have been done in-engine though). the movement is way to fluid to have been something done with a controller or mouse, the soundtrack is also created just for this trailer. Im happy that this was not a gameplay trailer though as it seemed pretty action packed. we cant really use this to judge the game so maybe find us some gameplay?

Also am I the only one not just seeking an uncormfortable experience here? Would like to see what they do with the story and such as well.
I dont just want to torture myself in a horror game, I want to be motivated by a pretty environment and a story that draws me in to the point that for bad example: I want to go down into that horrible basement and save my best friend! but im scared at the same time.
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Find