Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Are Amnesia players adults or teens?
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Are Amnesia players adults or teens?

(03-26-2013, 04:58 AM)Kman Wrote:
(03-26-2013, 04:50 AM)Josh The Biker Wrote: I'm 10, and the game only scared me once, in the Morgue.
I'm serious. I'm not trying to act like a tough guy.

(03-26-2013, 04:50 AM)Josh The Biker Wrote: I'm 10, and the game only scared me once, in the Morgue.

(03-26-2013, 04:50 AM)Josh The Biker Wrote: I'm 10

wow

It's just a year difference between Josh and Me.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Um, yeah, and I still firmly believe that it's kind of fucked up that kids that young are playing a game like Amnesia. Hell it's pretty fucked up that I played it as young as I did but I was pretty fucked up as it was so meh.

Goddamn people it's rated M for a reason.

Posting Freak
03-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

GTA at 5 yo.

I have to say, the kids on the forums seem to hold themselves up pretty well and have a mature attitude towards it... At 10-11, I think I was pretty mature for that age but comparing me to these kids... Damn.

[Image: luv.gif]
03-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Find
Tommyboypsp Offline

Threads: 10

If the game doesn't scare you (and you're not just saying that to be tough), then how do you enjoy it?

I'm like a dog, when the enemy has turned it's back on me I'm brave and I'll try to lure it, but when it sees or hears me I freak out again haha. It's a never ending cycle. Well.. until the three dots Tongue *beeeeeeeep*

Oh, I'm 20, if it's helpful for your topic.

Funderbunk Wrote:Playing Amnesia through to the end has increased the size of my genitalia exponentially and made me into a real man.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013, 08:00 AM by Tommyboypsp.)
03-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

(03-08-2013, 02:24 PM)jiersk Wrote: Hello everyone,

On these forums I read that almost everyone is scared by the game, so I wonder if the people here are adults ( older than 18 ) or teens ( between 12 and 18 ). Because I can't inmagine people being scared by a game when they are an adult. I don't mean to insult anyone if they are adult , but I have made my father and brother both play the game and they didn't even react at all, so I wonder if that also counts for other adults.

Ps. You don't have to tell your age or anything, I just want to know if anyone knows if the Amnesia players are adults or teens.

Thanks.

Hello, I played Amnesia in 2010. There were several scare moments that I thoroughly enjoyed - probably because of the excellent sounds and 'suddenness' of events. There have been times playing Thief 1 and 2 that were also fear moments.
However I don't react with fits of screaming... but often feel my heart pumping faster and the adrenaline rush that a good scare gives you.

I play in a dark house at night with no lights on.
I do not live near a town and it's always quiet at night with an occasional owl whoo whooing or the sound of a rat making noise out in kitchen.
I am a hermit by choice, and I live alone.... so the atmosphere is perfect.

I'm looking forward to this next game hoping it will scare me death... and it just may as I'm over seventy.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Find
Jinix Offline

(03-09-2013, 01:32 AM)Bridge Wrote: It has to do with basic deduction skills.

First off - The game tells you that WASD controls the character's movements. Here is the thought process anybody goes through.

Press W - notice that character moves forward. Submitted into short-term memory
Press A - notice that character strafes left. Submitted into short-term memory.
Press S - etc.

Not to mention the cartographic universal of up/forward = North, etc.

The game guides you through every other step. It teaches you how to check your notes and mementos, how to turn the lantern on, everything. And these are some of the simplest controls you can get for this type of game.

Now all you need, assuming you can actually produce short-term memories and eventually turn them into long-term ones, is the ability to manipulate the muscles to press the keys. Admittedly, these are fine motor skills that take time to perfect, but 15-20 minutes is enough to be able to actually do it on a basic level. Like how people with no knowledge of music can physically depress the keys of a piano and after mere minutes learn to play simple melodies. The game makes it easy enough for you, it's not like it's a complex RTS that maps every single key on the keyboard. It's essentially just WASD and the mouse.

You gotta come up with a bigger challenge than operating a 50s radio. It's not even analogous, because those radios often came with a visual representation of what frequency you are currently tuned into. The basic concept, ignoring everything else, is: one knob adjusts frequency and the other volume. Not difficult. In fact, even if the numbers were totally unintelligible and the frequency was adjusting by means of tapping the antenna, you can figure it out with relative ease.

As I said, it's a basic skillset that all mature human beings possessed, with the crucial discrepancy being that the keyboard/mouse is a totally foreign idiom to many. The concepts are the exact same however, just like I can listen to a conversation in Hebrew with visual aids (body language, setting, external stimuli) and come up with rough definitions of basic words. Even if they completely suck at the game, it's not like they are going to be thinking 15 minutes into the game: "Uh, which button was up again?" It's something that's constantly being practiced while playing the game, making it effectively impossible to forget, and it takes a surprisingly short amount of time for the body to develop habits out of muscle memory.

So there.

EDIT: And of course I do not mean "retarded" literally, to all of you who think I am taking potshots at your parents (btw, if your father who received two Masters degrees, cannot figure out the controls of Amnesia after a reasonable amount of time, that is surely the ultimate testament that public education promotes stock, generalized thinking patterns instead of encouraging creative solutions and deductive logic).

I have been using computers daily since the 1970s, I have taught over 10,000 people how to do various things with computers that includes programming on every type of computer that was available from Altair, zx80s Kaypro, IBM, Vic 20, Commodore64, Texas Instruments, Apple II , Umpteen types of RadioShack computers. MACs and an assortment of others including the building of them.
I've taught everything from binary and assortment of early languages including DOS and HTML. I've used computers daily since 1974.... oh, and before that I used typewriters occasionally...

BUT...even now I have to look at the keyboard to type.

My wife and children type like they have gone insane - words appear as fast as light - and this is while they look and talk to someone standing beside them. That blows me away.

Being able to type without looking at the keyboard is something I'll never achieve. In fact I bought a keyboard that has a blue glow on the keys (Saitek) for gaming in the dark.

It's not hard to use wasd but fingers sometimes need to scratch a nose then come back down to the keyboard and have to "refind" the wasd again. Losing moments and resulting in getting killed in the meantime.
This problem is multiplied when you have an assortment of other keys that need to be used instantly in game like weapons, spells, potions assorted actions etc.,.

I play like this - and consider it part of the fun really as I come into the game permanently handicapped and have more of a challenge.
Looking at it like that it's a plus.

What you play and how you do it should be enormous fun regardless of what handicap you start with.

I remember a brain surgeon who came to me to learn how to use a computer (back in the 80s when word processing and spreadsheets was all the buzz amongst professionals) he quit the class within a couple lessons because the key board was too confusing.
The lesson to learn here is that one man's skills are another man's spills.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Jesus fuckin Christ , everybody is with that Pewdiepie guy when a horror game is about to release.

YEAAA I GOT IT , HE IS COOL , I also watch his videos but when you watch a damn trailer like the new Amnesia trailer DO NOT FUCKING WRITE COMMENTS ABOUT PEWDIEPIE PLAYING IT.

Just because you are a damn pu*sy and you can't play it don't tell everybody about it.

DAMN I GOT MAD.. have to listen to some Cannibal Corpse now.

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM by Sarcophagus.)
03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Website Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

I'm 17, picked up the game when it came out in 2010, I was 14 back then when I played through it.

There are few true western horror games out there, and even less that are good. Amnesia: The Dark Descent was one of the only horror games that really caught my soul. I love everything about it, the setting, the story, the music, sound effects and the horror. I sat in front of the screen for 10 hours straight just so immersed, feeling the thrills from the horror and the need to know what the hell was happening kept me going through the story.

I like to say horror is a bit like nightmarish sex and made up of two factors.

1. Atmosphere - The theme and atmosphere gives you a creepy and unsettling feeling that puts you in this state where you're completely immersed and you're expecting something to happen. Just like the pleasure you get from sex this is what keeps you going.
2. Suspense - The stuff that gets your adrenaline pumping and your head beating with terror. Wether it's a jump scare or a chase scene, it's the peak of the hellish orgasm.

It's incredibly useful to talk about it that way because you can't have continious suspense, jump scares after jump scares.

There are few games that manage this really well. For example Silent Hill has a great atmosphere but in my opinion not enough suspense. A lot of action games such as FEAR or Doom don't have the atmosphere but a lot of suspense, and without the atmosphere building or backing it up the suspense isn't as great. Amnesia did both perfectly.
03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Find
Tommyboypsp Offline

Threads: 10

(03-26-2013, 01:13 PM)Sarcophagus Wrote: Rage about PewDiePie
I don't know what you're even talking about. You're the first to mention him?

[Image: pewdiepie__u_mad_bro__by_kittykat1231-d5lxyxw.png]

Funderbunk Wrote:Playing Amnesia through to the end has increased the size of my genitalia exponentially and made me into a real man.
03-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Find
Thief1337 Offline

Threads: 1

The only reason why I can't wait for AAMFP to be released is because I wanna see God (PewDiePie) play the game.

While I'm eating twinkies and cuddling with my two little kitties, I'll be able to tell my friends I was 'First' on each one of his videos.

[Image: wksljl.gif]
03-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Find