Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What has discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games done for you?
TiberiusBond Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What has discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games done for you?

It made me lose my fear of Amnesia, I guess.

I was never one of those people you see on reaction videos, screaming, freaking out, closing out to look at eye bleach, but I still felt some damn good fear when I first played the demo. A few years prior, around when it first came out, I heard about it and just thought "there's no way in hell I'm playing that game, I'd never be able to handle it" and here I am anxiously waiting for AAMFP so I can actually fear a game again. When I'd encounter a monster before, I'd be all "ohshitohshitohshitfuckfuckfuckfuck", but now I find myself going "Oh, hey, what's up grunt, I guess I have to hide in the closet now, don't I? *sigh*"

I guess I can actually thank (besides FG, of course) AAMFP for getting me into this. I remember stumbling upon the teaser last summer, which inspired me to try the demo, which I failed at, but one of my friends had the game and convinced me to get it later. And now, I'm still waiting for that blasted sequel and I'm long since done with TDD and immune to it's terror.

It also kinda got me back into gaming, too. I was a big gamer in my younger years, but then other interests took over beneficially, but now I feel like I can get back into gaming without getting to carried away and horror games, which amnesia opened the door for, can do just that. I feel like a get more out of a horror game than any other type of game, somehow, I guess, fear can be addicting when you know it's harmless. I like to shit my pants in fear, what can I say? Big Grin

[Image: V642RRt.gif]
04-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

What the fuck is up with everyone and bears?!
04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Find
TiberiusBond Offline

(04-15-2013, 10:16 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: What the fuck is up with everyone and bears?!

I see you aren't a part of the Esoteric Order of wubwub...

[Image: V642RRt.gif]
04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

That there is still hope in true survival horror storytelling games!
Also, they made me more resistant for horror games

04-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I'm actually the opposite to most people. It has tenderized me to horror. I get scared in Minecraft, sometimes.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
04-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Find
n0rtygames Offline

For me, Amnesia was (like many) the gateway to Frictionals other titles. As another indie dev - a survival horror is something I'd wanted to do for years, but being a big fan of HP Lovecraft and older Japanese horrors - I wanted to try and capture the isolation and overall feeling of a more psychological horror with buildup to the grand finale. But most games featured gunplay and too much exposure to the enemies you encountered. I'd seen Amnesia on steam a few times but (shamefully) never really checked it out until the hype started and I started seeing more of the game.

Then, when I got around to playing the demo I was basically hooked. Played through Amnesia over the course of several weeks when I could get the time after putting the kids to bed and then started on the Penumbra series.

I think the thing that stands out the most, is apart from a few grunts and "Oh s***!" moments when I'd trigger a monster I didn't know was there - most of the horror of Frictionals titles takes me back to being an early teenager and playing dark moody games alone in my room with a feeling of apprehension over what's around the next corner. Something Thomas Grip always talks about in depth is the use of sensory deprivation to let the player scare themselves with their imagination. Limited draw distances, subtle sounds and well written plot elements all help to weave quite a macabre and horrible picture in a unique experience that sort of commands some unspoken audience participation.

So, in a word - discovering Frictional has been inspiring. Rediscovered the horror genre again and realised that there's a whole load of life left in it for developers to explore.

Plus it's contributed to an increase in electricity bills due to stained underwear. Big Grin

Student at Miskatonic University. Also make games and rather enjoy horrors!
04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(04-15-2013, 04:40 PM)TiberiusBond Wrote: I see you aren't a part of the Esoteric Order of wubwub...

You don't talk to me about the Sacred Order!
04-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Find
Vasyenka Offline

Threads: 3

Discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games did so much for me, ahahaha~ Not only did it get me into PC gaming, but getting into the fandom let me meet some of the most amazing people I'm proud to call my friends.

Forgive me for being all sentimental and whatnot right quick, but through this game I met with other fans, and a small group of us became close knit friends (even meeting each other offline). Even though we windup branching onto other games/fandoms, we still stick together and have Amnesia to reflect upon~ So a huge thank you to FG for that! <3

04-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Discovering Amnesia kind of took a lot of my time away from me. I'm spending a serious lot of time on creating maps! But it has made me learn much more about fear, atmosphere, sounds, gameplay and story

Trying is the first step to success.
04-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Find
wubwub Offline
Banned

Threads: 5

many friends
04-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Find