Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Help! This game is too sick!
Zeatrix Offline

Threads: 1
Help! This game is too sick!

Hi,

I have never been into horror games until a year ago, I was just not built for these kind of games! Then I tried a few games like Doom III and Metro, and realized they were quite cool. A few friends have always bullied me for being such a girl when it comes to this, so of course I couldn't help being cocky about my achievements. Then they told me to play this game, Amnesia, and I thought it was just "another of those games", and told them I'd get it when it's cheap on Steam.

But oh I was so wrong. And of course, God must be laughing his off too, because the next day Amnesia was 75% off on Steam.

So I installed it and got started, and I barely reached 20 minutes into the game before I was pissing myself. This game is seriously not healthy for people like me! It's so extremely immersive and grasping. Other games I could always shoot and go on; I was the hunter, now I'm the hunted.

Anyway, to the case. I won't give up, I want to complete this game and tell my friends they can't beat me to it (one of them hasn't even dared to complete it himself!). I need some advice what to do, no cheats or anything, as I want to do this legitimately. How do I avoid those human-like creatures? I quit the game in panic after seeing one. How do you sustain enough oil?!

I realize these sort of games aren't meant to make you go poke the internet for advice, but man this isn't happening without a bit of help, and I refuse to lose.
04-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Help! This game is too sick!

Hi and welcome to these forums!

(04-27-2013, 02:13 PM)Zeatrix Wrote: I realize these sort of games aren't meant to make you go poke the internet for advice, but man this isn't happening without a bit of help, and I refuse to lose.
Remember, this game shouldn't be played to win Wink

Just move forward and listen to the sounds. The music will tell you if there is a monster around. Most of the time you will want to sit by a corner and wait for it to vanish. In some cases you will have to slip past it.
Oh, and do not let it see you: it can run much faster than you probably expect.

EDIT: You can watch this video (but NOT the others!) that illustrates what you should do during an encounter. Don't worry, the sequence in this one doesn't appear in The Dark Descent so there is no spoiler.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013, 04:10 PM by felixmole.)
04-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

The monster will run away if you wave the lantern in his face...

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
04-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

Play in small bits. Smile

^(;,;)^
04-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I have a few tips for you. The first one will be something of a spoiler though, so don't read it unless you really want to!

Tip #1:

Spoiler below!
For the first chunk of the game (I won't tell you how much, but it's a fairly big chunk!) you aren't in any real danger. The monsters which might appear aren't going to hurt you; they will either be "apparitions" which vanish when they get too close to you or scripted encounters where they don't notice you. Having said that, the early parts of the game are still pretty scary even with this knowledge.

Tip #2:

Hide in closets, cupboards, rooms and behind barrels if you want to avoid being caught and killed. As mentioned above the music and audio cues are quite helpful in figuring out when it's safe to come out of your hiding spot or when you've been seen by a monster.

Tip #3:

Be careful with your use of tinderboxes and oil but you don't have to be THAT careful - the game provides you with a reasonable amount of resources. Oil will run out before tinderboxes do so use the lantern only when you can't use a candle or a torch.

Tip #4:

Close doors behind you, plan your escape routes and/or find somewhere to hide if you're about to pick up an important-looking object Wink
04-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

ahh fresh blood Big Grin

A small piece of advice for you, avoid walkthroughs and such or googling for Amnesia pictures or anything related. Unless you want to ruin your experience Smile

I was in the same position as you, i thought what kind of sick person could play this but i couldn't resist but to explore deeper into the game Big Grin

Take your time and enjoy the game!

Edit: And i strongly advise you to NOT read the first tip of the post above me

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013, 03:03 PM by Nice.)
04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: How do you sustain enough oil?!
By not using the lantern all the time of course! Big Grin The light helps you see and sustain sanity, but it also makes it easier for the monsters to spot you. So only use the lantern when you really need to.

As for the enemies, just advance carefully and hide as soon as you hear one and you should be fine. Crouching helps avoid detection and don't run, unless it has spotted you (trust me, you'll notice when that's the case! Wink ). If it is chasing you, get a closed door inbetween you and the creature as quick as possible, since it runs faster than you and then hide somewhere in the room before it bashes the door in.

Last but not least - If the fear becomes overwhelming, don't forget: The game isn't as difficult as it appears to be. You'll think you're about to die far more often than you'll actually die. Just don't watch walkthroughs and spoil yourself on where the really dangerous parts are and where it's just for show Wink
04-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(04-27-2013, 02:25 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: The monster will run away if you wave the lantern in his face...

ROFL !!
epic

04-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8

(04-27-2013, 02:13 PM)Zeatrix Wrote: So I installed it and got started, and I barely reached 20 minutes into the game before I was pissing myself.

[Image: Notthisagain.jpg]

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
04-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Amnesia is one of the best true horror games.
This game will paranoia your head.

Amnesia is not fun, you should forget about fun in video games, Amnesia is a true horror experience where fear really works!

It's called "The Dark Descent" what means it will be a very dark journey into human evil.

You should play this game focus on story and atmosphere.
And take a look of the next sequel "Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs" and the "Penumbra Collection".
04-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Find