Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.11 Average
Blue Haze Problem
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26
Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Blue Haze Problem

"Which is it? Is it both?"

Yes it is both.

"You are certainly entitled to your opinion though. It's pretty impossible to please everyone with design decisions made in video games."

True, but 16 bit colors palette like and framerate stuttering aren't design choices.

"intentional? frictional games, you guys really shot yourself in the foot with this one didn't you? What the fuck were you guys thinking?"

The Chinese Room is the develloper, but still, we can indeed ask ourselves what they were thinking. Especially since I'm a huge fan of Dear Esther's design. It can be a good idea to add colorgrading or filters, but it had to be technically at a huge quality level (with HDR lighting for example), just add a forced blue fog over the picture completely fucks up colors quality and contrasts, especially in a game that dark, you almost can't tell the difference between lit and not lit places !
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM by Deu sex.)
09-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Find
Doomed316 Offline

Threads: 3

(09-10-2013, 09:54 AM)Daisuke89 Wrote: There seems to be a lot of problems with people playing the game.

A blue "haze" is always on the game, where without the lantern you can still see clear as day for some reason, takes out the immersion of the game.
Any idea what is causing it? If there is any information staff at Frictional Games that wish to know about my system/settings for the game, please do ask and I shall reply.

-Daisuke

The blue haze might be a broken darkness focus mechanic that was in HPL 2 in TDD. It looks like the game is trying to adjust the eye sight for the darkness or something but it won't. I also notice this in areas of bright lights or areas with so much light that the lantern is not needed but the blue haze disappears when in the darkness ( at least it looks like that). Don't hold me to it being the eye adjustment mechanic components still in the game because it is only speculation
09-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Find
admiraltennek Offline

Threads: 1

This person seems to have found a definitive method to remove the fog effect from the game: http://steamcommunity.com/app/239200/dis...5638983106. I gave it a try and it definitely made things look a lot less hazy, though it seems that there are some areas of the game where removing the fog effect results in the environment being far too dark regardless of what your gamma is set at (I guess the fog in a way acts as some sort of light source), so take from this what you will.
09-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Find
root Offline

Threads: 0

Didn't work for me Sad .... but trying again with clean install.

Didnt help. This is last time I bought game from The Chinese Room developers. Next time I'm gonna pirate it first and if no blue filter I will support and buy it.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 04:25 PM by root.)
09-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Find
Darkdesa Offline

Threads: 3

(09-11-2013, 06:13 PM)jens Wrote: It is not possible to easily create an option for it (turning it off would create issues in some levels), so that will not be added. I have put it on the list for things to patch, to discuss if the fog settings should be tweaked. So it might change in a future update, but not certain and there is no estimate as to when this patch will come.

Just make a patch to make the color selectable, like black for example
09-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Find
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75

It doesnt work for me, I installed a fresh copy of the game on my laptop and did the changes and the blue is still there. Only way I can get rid of it is with the save file edit. Btw so people know I think you need to turn off Steam Cloud Sync for the save file one to work, because the game will save versions to the cloud without the edit. It seems to work for me anyway.

09-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Find
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26

we can't watch your video
09-18-2013, 03:52 AM
Find
zico Offline

Threads: 4

I can but in the video it's rather the Gamma burning my eyes out.

I have to say tho:
The two squares shown in the game to balance the Gamma to don't really work for me. I think the game says I should adjust till the RIGHT square is barely visible. Doing that I end up with ridiculously high Gamma of 2.x while the game looks best with 1.3 on my screen.
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Find
ZIGS Offline

Threads: 8

Guys, I tried both the savefile trick and also editing the shaders directly (the fix admiraltennek linked to) and neither worked. This blue tint is really driving me insane, I won't play the game until I can disable it. Someone needs to investigate why the fix works for some people and not for others (like me).

PS: I can't believe this was intentional... at the start I honestly thought something was wrong with my gamma definitions lol. Oh well, at least it lets you disable the blur and image trail (also terrible effects)
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM by ZIGS.)
09-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Find
Complacentuna Offline

Threads: 1

(09-18-2013, 01:51 AM)Less Blue Haze Please Wrote: Here is a video of what my game currently looks like with blue haze. It drives me crazy trying to play at night with lights off, burns my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggzjK_MZ...e=youtu.be

I honestly haven't found much of a problem with the pics members have posted other than they're painfully dark, which is why the game gives you a lantern to turn on but maybe the pics just don't communicate what's happening as well as your video did. I can definitively tell you that this is NOT how the game is supposed to look. My game looks nothing like that. I can understand what everyone is pissed about now. Yes, the game has an intentional fog that makes it feasible to traverse dark rooms to avoid enemies. This is what Jens was referring to as intentional. There's been a misunderstanding, I think. I'm not sure what's happening with your game dude. My best guess is gamma/contrast as has been mentioned before or update your graphics drivers. Double check the min requirements and install it on another PC if possible because your graphics card is not displaying the lighting the way the game wants it to.
09-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Find