Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ALIEN: Isolation
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: ALIEN: Isolation

I have finished main campaign just yesterday. And I must confess I did not like the game. It is not bad surely, environments and lighting are stunning in fact. But this is not a suspense slow patient ALIEN at all. Sometimes it is, but most of times it's nearly a shooter with all those people with guns and androids. The final part of the game is really just a big budget blockbuster, when everything is getting ruined and blown in front of your eyes. Emotionally this is similar to action-oriented ALIENS by James Cameron. In fact there were no real need to inject people and androids into the game. Isolation, one on one with alien could be more then enough. I say that because I have finished the game and I just see that additional NPS's were not necessary. More of that "Last Survivor" DLC is in fact one on one chapter and do works effectively. Oh and I just nearly forgot about those fucking 3rd person view cut-scenes. Are you joking?!? How could they, developers, consciously ruin immersion with all those cut-scenes? Especially by knowing that all of those sit-and-watch cut-scenes could work extremely nice without breaking the game going on.

So what might be 10/10, now it's maximally 7/10 and worst of all I would never replay it.

Anyway, I do understand that mass audience could not be satisfied with no action, fighting, SFX, animations, cut-scenes and other AAA shit. Sadly.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2014, 12:31 PM by Alex Ros.)
10-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Website Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(10-14-2014, 12:23 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: But this is not a suspense slow patient ALIEN at all. Sometimes it is, but most of times it's nearly a shooter with all those people with guns and androids.
From what I have seen so far, I hardly seen any gunplay and where there is, it doesn't work or end well but that's what I saw in the first 4 hours of it.
10-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I completed the main campaign yesterday. Boy that took me about 25 hours to beat, but it was worth it because I really enjoyed the game.

Every time that alien killed me it never felt frustrating, I just loved how the alien behaved throughout the game and every way it could kill me.

I also played some of the survivor mode, I'm in the list of one of the 100 people for the best time on Basement.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

(10-14-2014, 04:28 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 12:23 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: But this is not a suspense slow patient ALIEN at all. Sometimes it is, but most of times it's nearly a shooter with all those people with guns and androids.
From what I have seen so far, I hardly seen any gunplay and where there is, it doesn't work or end well but that's what I saw in the first 4 hours of it.

Yeah I never found it to feel like a shooter. You do get guns, and there are things you can kill. But it's almost always a better idea to stealth. hostile androids are hard to kill. Hostile humans are unnecessary to kill and less common.

Even if you do choose to kill things in the game, it feels grounded and kind of classic survival-horrorish rather than like a shooter. You need to ready your weapon, takes a while to aim well. No automatic weapons, low ammo counts, etc.
10-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

My point is that there were no need for people and androids. You alone, truly isolated, and alien hunting you could be more then enough. The environment is so complex that it is absolutely stunning just to observe that giant ship. All those noises, animated mechanics, ventilations, lighting... etc. It is great on its own without hordes of people and androids. It could be extraordinary frightening to gift all those ares to alien for hunting, one on one. Human voice from audio logs could sound much more soothing and gloomy.
Anyway that is just my own private point of view, I do not insist I am right.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2014, 01:25 AM by Alex Ros.)
10-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Website Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(10-16-2014, 01:23 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: My point is that there were no need for people and androids. You alone, truly isolated, and alien hunting you could be more then enough. The environment is so complex that it is absolutely stunning just to observe that giant ship. All those noises, animated mechanics, ventilations, lighting... etc. It is great on its own without hordes of people and androids. It could be extraordinary frightening to gift all those ares to alien for hunting, one on one. Human voice from audio logs could sound much more soothing and gloomy.
Anyway that is just my own private point of view, I do not insist I am right.

I do respect your opinion, but the problem with that is that the game would have to be shorter because you'd get bored if it was just you and the alien. In my opinion, I don't mind the humans and androids being in the game, as I feel they add to the tension I felt when encountering them, and they support the alien to make the game feel more scary at moments with two or all three together.

I would not mind if it was just me and the alien together, but I don't think I'd want to just have the alien as the only thing that can kill me for 25 hours.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
10-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Find
jaykowalski Offline

Threads: 0

I want to try that game. Is it good guys?
10-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Wow, this game really sinks after getting the flamethrower. It just degrades the Alien from being this ultimate killing machine to a naughty dog that you hit with a stick into submission.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
10-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

Wot? U can has wepons in diz gaem?
10-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

its horror with action elements. unlike dead space 3 which is action with horror elements.

Put the
Spoiler below!
flamethrower
in spoiler tags i3670.

and no it doesn't, the alien will still jump through the flame to smack you before you get away. unless you waste a ton of
Spoiler below!
fuel

10-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Find