Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA?
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
RE: What do you hope to see and not see in SOMA?

(06-18-2014, 02:29 PM)i3670 Wrote: I think it would be pretty hard to have real body due to the interactivity with the environment. I agree that it would be nice to have a full body but that would mean that FG would have to animate a grab-animation to all of the interactable items and if they mess any of those animations up it would be an immersion-breaker.

I agree with you; it creates more problems than it solves.

Spoiler below!
So much of how we connect with games is based on metaphorical substitutions for real-world concepts like attention, intention, interest, etc., that I'm not sure how much importance we need to give to full body representation as an aid to immersion when we're already so "pliable" in our relationship with games. Tim Schafer explains it quite nicely in his play-through of Grim Fandango [click]. In this case he's talking about how the mouse cursor is like a metaphor for your attention; no one feels unimmersed in adventure games because they don't control a floating mouse cursor in real life. We assimilate and adapt to the game unconsciously.

When I'm opening a door in Amnesia, I don't assume Daniel is opening it with his mind because I don't see his arm extended out in front of him; it feels completely intuitive and immersive to me, and that immersion only strengthens the more I play the game. If you introduce an animated arm, you're also introducing many new opportunities for shattered immersion which didn't exist before, as i3670 pointed out. It's like trying to plug a hole in a wall with a beehive. I don't consider the lack of a fully rendered body to be a "hole", though. In Amnesia, the only time I even noticed it at all was when I looked straight down at my "feet" and realised I was floating, which isn't something I did during normal gameplay.

The trademark FG hand icons, and their extensive contextual variability in SOMA (scroll down a little to see pics), are just fine. They're metaphors which work every time, in place of animations and graphics which have a much narrower bandwidth for believability and, crucially, cost way more, in every sense of the word.

TL;DR: Less is more.

06-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

Trespasser is an infamous example of where the ambition to intricately simulate the movement of the body outdid the technology available at the time. It ended up being like QWOP, if the player only had one distorted arm to work with.

All I'm really hoping for is something slightly more sophisticated than the previous series Frictional has worked on. Having played some rather old games where the in-game avatar has a body to work with, it feels off for a 2015 game to still stick with the old "non-entity protagonist" concept.

Unless revealing Simon's body to be heavily modified with cybernetics would be a huge spoiler. :p
06-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Still, I doubt that we will see a player body in SOMA mainly because we haven't seen one in the trailer. If SOMA would have a player body they would have marketed the game with one.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
06-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I was trying to find this article when I was writing my last post, but I couldn't find it, until now:

Five Surprising Immersion Killers in Games

The first thing it talks about is having a visible body in first-person games.

The reason I found the article is because it was mentioned in another, newer article by the same author, which is also on the topic of visible limbs:

Why Paul Prospero Has No Hands in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

06-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Find
SeanieTheMan Offline

Threads: 3

What I hope to see - Xbox One release. That's it.
07-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

There'ss going to be a lot of PATHOS in the custom stories. A great deal of the models have Pathos written on them it seems.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
07-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Find
PancakeSyndr0m3 Offline

Threads: 0

Completely new enemies, but scary as The Dark Descent's. I hate to admit it, but the monsters from Penumbra are stuffed toys compared to Amnesia's!
07-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Find
thomad16 Offline

Threads: 0

I would like to see the protagonist be forced to do or unknowingly do something terrible like in Penumbra Black Plague:
Spoiler below!
Clarance tricks you into killing Amabel Swanson
Nothing is better for generating raw emotion. That moment in Black Plague had me so furious and so ashamed of myself I had to go outside and punch a tree. Frictional games has generally been very good at generating emotions not only horror but they have made me feel. Shame, Fury, Desire (I realy wanted to see Amabel I desired a companion more than you would believe). I would like to experience powerful emotions when I play your game. I want to not sleep not just out of fear but because I'm crying because of the things I'v seen and done.
07-07-2014, 02:17 AM
Find
silfrus Offline

Threads: 2

you think soma will be scarier than Penumbra and Amnesia?
07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(07-07-2014, 04:06 PM)silfrus Wrote: you think soma will be scarier than Penumbra and Amnesia?

I think that The Dark Descent is unsurpassable in terms of horror, but I definitely hope that SOMA will be scarier than A Machine for Pigs.

I'll be quite happy if it's at the same level as Penumbra on my scariness scale.

07-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Find