Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

scariest game/mod?
VoodooFox Offline

Threads: 1
scariest game/mod?

What is the scariest game or mod you've played up to this point? Why?

I haven't played many yet, but I'd have to go with Amnesia: Premonition (mod/conversion).
I've only just entered the mansion and there are so many sounds and odd things going on. I keep hearing enemies I can't see. Unexplained noises.
The atmosphere is pretty good so far. It kind of reminds me of Scooby Doo in a weird way.
The intro is pretty awesome too.

Hate you too luv ;) Youtube here
02-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: scariest game/mod?

The scariest game I ever played was Silent Hill 3.
But that doesn't automatically mean it's the best horror game. I love games from Frictional a lot more.
02-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

The Dark Descent > The Great Work (mod) > (several other Amnesia custom stories) > Silent Hill 3 > Ib > (pretty much every other horror game)

Yes I am an Ib fanboy

[Image: p229xcq]
02-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

atdd hurr

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
02-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(02-21-2014, 07:10 PM)Froge Wrote: The Dark Descent > The Great Work (mod) > (several other Amnesia custom stories) > Silent Hill 3 > Ib > (pretty much every other horror game)

Yes I am an Ib fanboy

Ib fanboys FTW! Love Ib. Not because of the scares in general. Just love Ib.

Dark Descent and Outlast.

Trying is the first step to success.
02-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Hey my mod here Wink Awesome!
-
Overall my scary games are like :
F.e.a.r.
Silent Hill 2 3 4 ( the room )
Resident Evil 2 \ 3
Cry of fear ( Mod )
---
Mods for Amnesia :
a LOT or the high ranked ones on ModDB;
White Night
a late night drink
Emma's story
The attic 1
etc etc..
02-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I don't actually know, I view horror in a quite different way (well, not very different, this sort of thing is normal). I'm not as scared by jump-scares or dark, dense and depressing athmosphere as I am for things alien to me. Horror movies and games that are focused on horror is to me not as impactful because they are predictable in a certain way.

What really creeps me out is the sense of wrong, you know when everything is fine and there's this little something that doesn't make sense or is just odd, in a creepy way. Sort of like stop-motion animations in old films, we know how humans move and how they look, but when things doesn't quite make it, it's an imperfect emulation of human movement and it give me the chills.

The same can be said about some games, there are games that seem pretty happy and adventurous and everything seems normal, and then you get to a part where things doesn't seem as happy and adventorous anymore, the contrast between not scary and the unpredictability of the off-putting stuff enhances the creepyness by immense amounts. Sort of like the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion, that part of the game creeped the hell out of me.

Also, the Cradle in Thief 3, probably the most horror-inflicting part of any game throughout history in my opinion, if you haven't played Thief 3, do it now it's amazing. Again, it's the contrast between normal and off-putting that creeps me out, the game is for the most part not scary (although the atmopshere is sort of depressing and foreboding) and then you get to that level, it intensified the horror in ways I've never again experienced, and I played that level well after I got well-versed with horror games years before.

So, yeah, the scariest game (or piece of gaming experience) I've played is probably the Cradle in Thief 3.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2014, 11:27 PM by eliasfrost.)
02-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Find
Deadon Offline

Threads: 5

(02-21-2014, 05:55 PM)bunniesofdoom Wrote: What is the scariest game or mod you've played up to this point? Why?

I haven't played many yet, but I'd have to go with Amnesia: Premonition (mod/conversion).
I've only just entered the mansion and there are so many sounds and odd things going on. I keep hearing enemies I can't see. Unexplained noises.
The atmosphere is pretty good so far. It kind of reminds me of Scooby Doo in a weird way.
The intro is pretty awesome too.

Amnesia:TDD(duh) and Outlast(Wish CS's were on this!!!)
CS:Followed By Death By JMFStorm

2 Mappers are definitely better than one.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM by Deadon.)
02-21-2014, 11:36 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

Hard to say, maybe Lsd simulator.
02-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Find
VoodooFox Offline

Threads: 1

(02-21-2014, 11:47 PM)Red Wrote: Hard to say, maybe Lsd simulator.

Loved that game. Its just so creepy at times.

Hate you too luv ;) Youtube here
02-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Find