Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think I should stop making a custom story?
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
Do you think I should stop making a custom story?

My friend at school tells me that in some amnesia custom stories you see the same walls, entities, music, enemies and scripts. and then he told me that I should quit making a custom story because it's a waste of time and no one will play it which made me kinda sad!
I told him that I wasted my time on 3 months working on a detailed map for nothing? but he said that no one will play it since there are a lot of custom stories. so do you guys think he is right and I should stop? by the way he never played amnesia or heard of it, I just showed him a trailer about it and let's plays.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2014, 08:33 PM by Radical Batz.)
03-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Find
LordOfDragons Offline

Threads: 14
RE: Do you think I should stop making a custom story?

Well lets make some points there:
Do you have fun with the cs?
Can you work on something longer than usual to make it better?
Are there interests in this cs?

As long as you want to work on it, your friend has nothing to say about your work.

The question that will never be answered:
SOMA WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL? ;_;
03-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Actually of course I'm having fun making this cs but not as fun like really happy, cause I have to work hard on it to make it good, with good detailed maps and stuff and a really good story to it, but I get the feeling that he's right that no one will play it on MODDB cause there are so many cs out there!

I even made a guy who is on this site right now test to see my custom story and he was amazed that it was my first cs and told me that the maps where really interesting and really detailed! Thanks Neelke if you're reading this Smile
He's a great guy

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2014, 08:46 PM by Radical Batz.)
03-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

You shouldn't stop making something that you like to only because someone said something. You should keep making custom story, there are still many fans of Amnesia who surely are going to play it!
03-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Find
PatPeter Offline

Threads: 4

I've played over 50 custom stores/total conversion mods and I have yet to get bored of Amnesia. I even play the bad ones and give them ratings with suggestions for the author to improve upon.

Your friend has absolutely no right to make any statements on your custom story if A) he doesn't play Amnesia, B) he doesn't play custom stories, or C) he hasn't played your custom story. Actually, he should just STFU about Amnesia in general.

View my master list of Amnesia custom stories: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...2lX6w/edit
03-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Find
THomura Offline

Threads: 2

All of those replies are totally right! And think of it this way: the design is only a small portion of your story. Writing and Scripting play a major role in the execution of your story, so even if you only have a limited number of designs to work with for walls and ceilings, if you are successfully able to immerse the player in a riveting story or a beautiful (or horrifying) environment then it doesn't matter.

If it really is bugging you, however, there are quite a few mods out there that people have made to add new items and entities and walls to the game, and as long as you credit them for their hard work they're more than happy to allow you to use them to switch up your custom story a bit. And if you'd rather not go to the trouble of downloading a ton of stuff, then play around with the scale and position of what entities and objects you have available. I've seen people make some absolutely gorgeous environments with the same amnesia entities you see in every custom story.

Just have fun with it!
03-25-2014, 05:09 AM
Find