Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?

Hello.

On my desktop, I'm moving to a newer version of Windows in a few days (from XP 32 bit to 7 64 bit).

Unfortunately, while my retail copy of ATTD is intact on its retail DVD (bought in 2011), I seem to have lost the retail packaging, and with it, my product key. Sad And I honestly don't remember what the key was like. I'm kicking myself for not having written it down or copied it into a text file earlier. Frankly, though the retail box seems to be gone, I've tried already months ago to recover my key by writing to the distributor I bought the retail version from. Sadly, even after repeatedly mailing them and sending my purchase details, they haven't really replied to me. I'm still searching for the box and other external documentation where the key could be on. At this point, though, I'm not very hopeful.

However, I've thought of one other possible solution for the problem.

Could I try to open "Run" in the Start tab of Windows XP, then type in "regedit" and then try to search for my serial key manually ?
Could this work in any way ?
Or do the retail versions of Amnesia slip under the radar when it comes to Windows' memory archiving their product keys ?
If this could work, what installation path should I try to search for ? I'm guessing it would be Program Files/Amnesia/something, since that's how it's set up on my computer.

Also, searching this forum, I think I've read in another thread that product keys of retail versions tend to be stored in the saves and settings folder, i.e. My Documents/Amnesia/Main/etc.

Am I right about this or did I misunderstand something ?

If any of you can, please try to verify these two possibilities. I just want to be completely sure about exhausting all possible options concerning my lost product key, before I have to rebuy a whole new retail copy all over again. I'll gladly buy a new copy if there's just no other way of getting my product key back, but I'd prefer to have one last shot at finding it again before I have to switch to a new OS and kiss ATDD goodbye. Sad

Thank you all for your help. I'll appreciate every bit of advice I can get.

I've already asked about this problem back in June, see here:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-21691.html

In that older thread, Statyk advised me that the potential file I'm looking for should be labelled "installkey". But I was never able to find it until now, at least not in any version of the saves folder in My Documents, where it's supposed to be in retail versions.

I'm just completely baffled at this point. Sad

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 07:58 PM by Petike.)
04-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?

The file where the key is saved should be located somewhere in your documents folder.

Otherwise you can install patch 1.3 beta, which removes the serial protection. Be sure that you already updated to version 1.2. You need the retail update, but I can't find a download.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 08:57 PM by Googolplex.)
04-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?

(04-06-2014, 08:43 PM)Googolplex Wrote: The file where the key is saved should be located somewhere in your documents folder.

Otherwise you can install patch 1.3 beta, which removes the serial protection. Be sure that you already updated to version 1.2. You need the retail update, but I can't find a download.

Thank you so much ! Smile Cool

Well, if nothing else helps, I might try this as an alternative solution.

Don't worry about the retail 1.2 update. I already have it (but didn't use it until now). Both for the original version and the localised one (as my game is a localised retail copy, primarily translated to Czech).

Thanks again. Smile You've renewed my hope for finally solving this annoyance.

P.S. While I was away, I've decided to notify the retailer who I bought the game from back in 2011. Previously, I've contacted the distributor, but as that didn't work, I completely forgot the retailer might still be of help. I've answered an old e-mail of their's where they confirmed my purchase and asked for help in regards to my specific purchase. It's worth a shot. Maybe they can retrieve some info on what the product key of my copy was. I'm hoping for it. But if this proves unsuccesful, I'll probably try your solution.

04-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

I doubt they removed the "DRM" thingy from the next update. It was probably removed from the test .exe files just to avoid unnecessary steps during testing. Either way, so far the key file could be found at Documents\Amnesia or Amnesia\Main folder (don't remember which since I use steam) and you can open it with notepad. It's not encrypted or anything, plane text.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 10:10 PM by plutomaniac.)
04-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Find
Petike Offline

(04-06-2014, 10:09 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: I doubt they removed the "DRM" thingy from the next update. It was probably removed from the test .exe files just to avoid unnecessary steps during testing. Either way, so far the key file can be found at Documents\Amnesia or Amnesia\Main folder (don't remember which since I use steam) and you can open it with notepad. It's not encrypted or anything, plane text.

What's the exact name of that particular file ?

Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong place all this time.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 10:11 PM by Petike.)
04-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

ok...that was fast...

I don't remember the exact name but it was something obvious. Maybe serialkey or similar.
04-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Find
Petike Offline

I can only ever find the key and setting configs, individual save files and text files relating to the HPL engine. Plus, the folders for my in-game accounts - the main one and the CS developer one. That's sadly it. As hard as I try, there just doesn't seem to be an hard drive copy of my serial key file.

I'll be waiting for a reply from the retailer. Hopefully something will pop up in the coming days. If not, I'll try to make the best of it, or try the aforementioned 1.3 trick or just eventually rebuy the whole thing.

04-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Is the retail Amnesia still installed on that machine? If yes, can it run? If yes, the key file is definitely there. Show me a picture of the Amnesia folder and Amnesia\Main folder.
04-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Well, I've received word from the retailer. They're unable to help me with this. So, we'll search for it further.

OK, plutomaniac, I've prepared 4 screenshots of my Amnesia-related folders. I'll send them to you via PMs (if I can figure out how to add an attachment).

And yes, I still have the retail Amnesia installed on my desktop and, IIRC, I haven't uninstalled it since 2011, when I bought it and first installed it. So, the key could still probably be there.

EDIT: Alright, I've sent you a PM. Hopefully, those four screenshots will be able to help. If you need more, just notify me. Thank you.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 02:19 PM by Petike.)
04-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

The pics didn't help unfortunately. You have it installed, but can you run it? Or does it ask for the serial when you start it? Either way, I'm downloading my retail copy now to install it and see what file is created and where. It shouldn't take long at all.
04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Find