Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Unsatisfied
Voronwe Offline

Threads: 1
Unsatisfied

After playing Overture and Black Plague and loving them, Requiem just feels like a massive disappointment. Has Frictional acknowledged the total lack of a satisfying end to the story, or even any answers to some of the many questions the previous two games evoke? Any mention of a fourth title in the Penumbra series?

Thanks for any info, and great job Frictional on the first two titles!
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Unsatisfied

There's just one fairly unnamed game coming up.
"Lux Tenebras" is probably what it will be called but I think the official working title just is "Unknown" or "NextFrictionalProject".
It won't be Penumbra, but most of us are expecting a few ties between the two.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

No more Penumbra games planned, it ends with Requiem or rather with Black Plague as requiem is only an expansion for BP.
02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I don't really get that why everyone insults Requiem that it's so BAAAAAD!!!
I think that little puzzle game isn't really that bad. We had horror on two games before, right?
I really want more puzzles so I think it's good to have that game!

02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Website Find
ROT51 Offline

Threads: 3

Quote:I don't really get that why everyone insults Requiem that it's so BAAAAAD!!!
I think that little puzzle game isn't really that bad. We had horror on two games before, right?

I agree! The Requiem is not so horror than Overture & BP, but there's many great puzzles. It was longer than i expected and i have all penumbra games on my computer (Tech Demo counted it's 4). Goooooood!!!!:biggrin:
02-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21

Requiem: BOOOOOOO i didnt like it a bit, i never finished it and i dont play since Wink (old rant)
But yes massive credits to Frictional Games for the other Penumbra games
02-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

(02-03-2009, 05:45 PM)Scraper Wrote: I don't really get that why everyone insults Requiem that it's so BAAAAAD!!!

It's because most of us expected another semiaction game and something to keep us excited and entertained plot-wise.
Requiem didn't contain any excitement though most puzzles were entertaining as I remember them.
But for Requiem to have become a hit they would have had to stronger announce it as a puzzle game and perhaps include some classic puzzle game features such as replaying any completed level - and also I think they should had put a lot more into the notes, decorations and relation to the rest of the game.
I loved that communications base due to the way it actually fit with the rest of the series and made me think "Oh, I wonder what this place could be?". In the very first stage there were some engravings on the walls aswell, I would had liked to see a lot more of that. Engravings in the temples, notes laying around and simply a whole lot more realistic design. Tables and chairs. Most of the puzzles in Requiem are a bit too much "puzzle" designed and not realistic at all.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
02-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

(02-04-2009, 04:06 PM)Kedjane Wrote:
(02-03-2009, 05:45 PM)Scraper Wrote: I don't really get that why everyone insults Requiem that it's so BAAAAAD!!!

It's because most of us expected another semiaction game and something to keep us excited and entertained plot-wise.
Requiem didn't contain any excitement though most puzzles were entertaining as I remember them.
But for Requiem to have become a hit they would have had to stronger announce it as a puzzle game and perhaps include some classic puzzle game features such as replaying any completed level - and also I think they should had put a lot more into the notes, decorations and relation to the rest of the game.
I loved that communications base due to the way it actually fit with the rest of the series and made me think "Oh, I wonder what this place could be?". In the very first stage there were some engravings on the walls aswell, I would had liked to see a lot more of that. Engravings in the temples, notes laying around and simply a whole lot more realistic design. Tables and chairs. Most of the puzzles in Requiem are a bit too much "puzzle" designed and not realistic at all.

They DID announce it as puzzle centric.
02-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

(02-06-2009, 02:20 AM)jamhaw Wrote:
(02-04-2009, 04:06 PM)Kedjane Wrote:

They DID announce it as puzzle centric.

I thought it still would have a logical plot and that whole part. Didn't expect teleporting between different stages solving puzzles.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
02-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Find
freac Offline

Threads: 3

First I must say that the penumbra almost triology is far beyond what i believed game makers to be capable of.

But since I am a Schwabe (suebian) i have to criticize. (Usually the best praise you could get from a Schwabe is "Ha, do kosch nix sage" Well ... you can't say anything (bad) about it.)

I just finished Requiem (both ways) and it felt little different from the casual breakdowns of the game, ... like kicked out.

- My game experience was pretty much flawed because my computer was repeatedly overburdened with handling the graphics though it more than meets the stated minimum requirements of the game and i turned off/down all graphic extras.

- On the other hand the sceneries especially the closure seem pretty empty and oversized while they demand more than all of my graphics card.

+ The sophisticated idea might have been to create various paralell layers of possible (virtual) realities: In the beginning I wondered if i was not Phillip but the one he sent the message to. Did the Tuungait who attacked me drag me into the tomb and leave me for dead? Is what I hear and see halucinations in the aftermath of the infection?
In the end it looks like having been the dreams of a dying man.

+ I expected any time in Requiem to occur another ecounter with some evil creature that doesn't turn out to be a phantasm.

- the puzzles are partly very flat.

+ When I was outside i thought: "Couldn't i just get saved here by a helicopter?". After making my way up through some levels, the view of ramps or stairs leading donwards made me think: "I absolutely dont want to go down there." But there was no other way. Eventually it seems now that Philipp's fantasy depicted his live energy going down this way.

I mumble a little because requiem seems to have suffered the doom of most sequels. Still it felt like living in one of the best movies.
I feel very much tempted to invest into a more powerful computer for getting to enjoy entirely the scenery of forthcoming games.[/font][/font]

All we are saying is "Give peace a Jens!"
04-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Find