Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia

(02-16-2013, 02:47 AM)Gezz Boy Wrote:
(02-16-2013, 12:48 AM)Traggey Wrote: Finished headcrab sculpt as sleepy Obliviator27 snores behind me.

[Image: headcrab_finished_sculpt_by_traggey-d5v2asv.jpg]

Looks fine on the front but looks obese from the crab's behind.

Mmmm'yes, quite.

[Image: headcrabchap.jpg]
02-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Hey. I am trying to make my first models for Amnesia. But I have been having huge difficulties on UV mapping in maya, I simply can't find any decent tutorials on it. Can someone please either show me a good tutorial on the subject or explain me if it isn't hard for you?

Thanks.
02-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(02-16-2013, 06:53 PM)Gezz Boy Wrote: Hey. I am trying to make my first models for Amnesia. But I have been having huge difficulties on UV mapping in maya, I simply can't find any decent tutorials on it. Can someone please either show me a good tutorial on the subject or explain me if it isn't hard for you?

Thanks.

Try YouTube.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

This took me two hours, funny story behind why:

Well, first, I was making a basic shape, and every time I moved something, a while later it would snap back to where it was. Took me several frustrated attempts to realize I had turned on automatic keyframes, which animated the damn thing. I had to remove the animation in order for it to stop doing that.

Then, it turns out that I scaled the whole thing completely wrong, so I had to redo pretty much all of it.

THEN I had a shading issue that came from making the rounded edges. Turns out I bunched them too close together and that made a horrible mess.

But it's fixed! I CAN SLEEP!!!
Spoiler below!

[Image: Stairwell01WIP.png]

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
02-18-2013, 05:36 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

Spoiler below!
[Image: Untitled-1.png]

OK, well technically I guess this is a bit of shameless wip posting. It's not really related to Amnesia, but I guess since I'm making it a free model with animations to the community, it is (?).

I have quite a bit of things to fix up texture wise, but it's getting there! ^^

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
02-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

The little guy is starting to look positively demonic ^^ Especially like the details around the mouth. Looks all wet and icky.

One thing though - might be just because of the dim lighting in Amnesias Model View, but just in case it isn't: It's a good rule of thumb to always avoid pure 0,0,0 black in your textures, especially in large areas. It tends to make a model look flat and unrealistic because it swallows detail and in nature there is no such thing as pure black. Even a piece of coal often has a bit of grey in it. Just look at the textures in commercial games - you'll almost never find one that has a lot of pure black in it, even if it's for a black horse with a black saddle being ridden by a knight in black armor Tongue
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
02-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Gotta agree with Hirnwirbel.

Also about how we talked about res yesterday upping it to a 2048 might be a good idea, since the top of the head is all blurry when compared to the sharp details of the rest of the body.
Of course it might also just be that you havent gotten started on detailing the top yet and that the texture size is fine, but I would say go 2048 anyway since you can always just scale it down.
02-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

[Image: gordon_by_traggey-d5vhqvs.jpg]
02-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

My desktop(feat. Crisosphinx):
[Image: LvsXwBp.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM by WALP.)
02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(02-19-2013, 11:38 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: The little guy is starting to look positively demonic ^^ Especially like the details around the mouth. Looks all wet and icky.

One thing though - might be just because of the dim lighting in Amnesias Model View, but just in case it isn't: It's a good rule of thumb to always avoid pure 0,0,0 black in your textures, especially in large areas. It tends to make a model look flat and unrealistic because it swallows detail and in nature there is no such thing as pure black. Even a piece of coal often has a bit of grey in it. Just look at the textures in commercial games - you'll almost never find one that has a lot of pure black in it, even if it's for a black horse with a black saddle being ridden by a knight in black armor Tongue

(02-19-2013, 12:40 PM)martinnord Wrote: Gotta agree with Hirnwirbel.

Also about how we talked about res yesterday upping it to a 2048 might be a good idea, since the top of the head is all blurry when compared to the sharp details of the rest of the body.
Of course it might also just be that you havent gotten started on detailing the top yet and that the texture size is fine, but I would say go 2048 anyway since you can always just scale it down.

Will do for both of those. I thought the straight black might be a nice touch, but you're completely right (plus, I haven't added noise to the textures, so they are still incomplete).

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
02-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Find