Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone want a little help?
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Anyone want a little help?

(10-03-2015, 03:14 PM)LordOfDragons Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 03:03 PM)The Mug Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 02:20 PM)brus Wrote: It's a texture with bump map on it.
Can your material,texturing,level editor tutorials be applied for SOMA too? Does editor have some difference and could I do something beyond repair?
The editor is 5 years newer it will have changes, but fundamentally it is the same.

About the people wanting help with Scripting I am limited as I said but I might be able to help you out with learning.

Since there is 2 of you asking I think it is better that we all help one another out rather than me helping you separately.

If you want me to support you in learning I will need some sort of way to contact you, like a your steam or skype or something.

---

other people wanting help feel free to keep asking

Well my steam is"[๖Ger๖] Power". If you want to add me, go ahead :L
(Im not really sure if i should post this to you with a PM or right here. Meh.)
I'm going to assume your name is "The Mug"? ._.
no, it changes all the time, I changed it to "wantalittlehelp" just now

EDIT: I seem to keep getting bugs when trying to add you, dont know if you got my invite
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 03:38 PM by WALP.)
10-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Find
LordOfDragons Offline

Threads: 14

Nope, didn't get an invite so far and cant find you in steam either ._.
Maybe i will see it if you send another one.

The question that will never be answered:
SOMA WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL? ;_;
10-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Find
Kanthos Offline

Threads: 7

Hey!
You could help me with an information!

I wanted to create an Omega station with parts of tau. Now i need the scale of the large underwater swing doors for the airlock.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 04:38 PM by Kanthos.)
10-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(10-03-2015, 04:38 PM)Kanthos Wrote: Hey!
You could help me with an information!

I wanted to create an Omega station with parts of tau. Now i need the scale of the large underwater swing doors for the airlock.
can you elaborate a little more on what you want to do and what is preventing you?
10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Find
Kanthos Offline

Sure!

Remember the entrance of the Tau-Station? All iwant to do is rebuild it. Just the airlock.

My problem is that the large underwater swing door is too little for the opening.

Greets and thanks in advance!
10-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(10-03-2015, 06:34 PM)Kanthos Wrote: Sure!

Remember the entrance of the Tau-Station? All iwant to do is rebuild it. Just the airlock.

My problem is that the large underwater swing door is too little for the opening.

Greets and thanks in advance!

Open up the 04_01_tau_outside.hpm located inside chapter 4 in the maps folder.
Search for "TauDoor" and hit focus. You can now see how frictional games did it.
If need be disable the fog in the map to see better.

EDIT: if for some strange reason the entrance does not show up in the level, try restarting your level editor and loading the map again, that worked for me.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 11:52 PM by WALP.)
10-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Find
Kanthos Offline

Thanks Mug!

Turned out you need another part to smaller the "hole" so the door fits in.

But now i need to know how to open and close a door with a button :/

Made a thread about it. Sad

Greets
10-04-2015, 12:59 AM
Find
Hypercube Offline

Threads: 20

I certainly need help with lighting, I have no idea how I can make it look like lamps are shinging and crap... The box, spot, and point light are hard to work with. and how in the world do I get the proxies to spawn? they never do in my custom maps. maybe I have to use an area to spawn a monster once you touch the area? in hpl2 it was script but there isn't one in hpl3.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 10:38 PM by Hypercube.)
10-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(10-05-2015, 10:33 PM)Hypercube Wrote: I certainly need help with lighting, I have no idea how I can make it look like lamps are shinging and crap... The box, spot, and point light are hard to work with. and how in the world do I get the proxies to spawn? they never do in my custom maps. maybe I have to use an area to spawn a monster once you touch the area? in hpl2 it was script but there isn't one in hpl3.

As always, looking at how Frictional did it is the best way to go, in this case opening maps in editor to see how they set it up. Looking into the .hps files you can get inside into how Frictional scripted the enemy encounter and what functions they used.

As for my own knowledge on the matter.

Scripting an enemy in SOMA actually works very similar to HPL2, except you now have a lot more extra control, and that a lot of scripts have been renamed. You should however easily be able to find out these functions if you have your Codelite setup correctly so it auto-completes functions. As well you want to check out helper files such as helper_ai.hps, where you can find a lot of functions you need, with a little bit of documentation alongside them as well.

For your convenience heres some of the most basic functions for controlling enemies in SOMA, but you will have to figure out the parameters yourself:

Entity_SetActive();
// this will enable disable the monster/entity. there is also a checkbox on entities in editor where you can set if they are active or non active on map start.

Pathfinder_Track_Clear(); //this clears all pathnodes from the monsters Track, I think it might be good to use before adding any pathnodes for the sake of stability, and being sure that no pathnodes it might have gotten previously(fx if the player died and script got triggered again) do not mix up with the newly added ones.

Pathfinder_Track_Add();

//This one is for telling the enemy to walk or patrol to a certain pathnode you placed in the map. You can place multiple after one another for a complex track.

Pathfinder_Track_Start();

//This one is making the enemy start following the track, and I dont think Pathfinder_Track_Add will work unless you add this after. You can also decide if you want the track to loop like a patrol or be done only once.

oh and note that some of the functions you come across may be using functions from the custom_depth folder, which among other things contains a ton of custom_ai scripts, like fx the puppet hunt mode function.

As for lighting it is definitely not my strongest area, but basic knowledge would be:
Box lights should be used with a dark color, so the map does not go from bright to pitch black where the is a light, and you can also give the map a general tint of a color with it.

Pointslights are your most common lights, and can be used to illuminate most rooms in a smooth circular manner.

Spotlight I have not used a lot, but they are good for areas with a lot of contrast and shadows. They also offer a lot more control about the direction of the light, as opposed to the circular pointslights.

Finally you dont just want light to be on their own, making sure they work well with their sources and have details like billboards setup makes a huge difference.

Thats all I can offer you at your current level, from here its practice practice practice. For getting critique and info on where you can improve I recommend posting in one of these 2 threads:
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-30901.html
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-30794.html
10-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Find