Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frame pacing problems - stutters
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Frame pacing problems - stutters

Hi Devs,

For the first hour or so I didn't really experience any substantial stutters during the time I played the game (only tiny 1 second stutters during in-game loading). However in the area where you are underwater for the first time the game has some serious stutter problems.

First I have a made a post in the steam forums aswell here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/282140/di...504471046/

New video now up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzC_0X8Jy1I

I've exhausted everything I can think of pretty much that might be related.

I've tried:
- Fullscreen/borderless/windowed
- 30 - 144hz via in-game and forced through NCP
- Shader cache on/off (NCP)
- Triple buffering on/off (NCP)
- Max pre-rendered frames 1-4 (NCP)
- Vsync on/off in-game and through NCP

- Gsync just simply does not work with this game at all (because this game is OpenGL?)
- The gamma setting resets every time you toggle fullscreen/borderless

From the screens I've included in the steam post you can see clearly from my OSD I have running, that all my systems resources are not at their limits, CPU/GPU loads are all under max load with some wiggle room to spare yet the stutters are very apparent.

Was really looking forward to playing this game, I love atmospheric moody games but in its current state the game is not enjoyable, hence not playable.

My system:
i7 3770k
GTX780 3gb
Samsung EVO SSD
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2015, 07:33 AM by AUSSIEPATRIOT.)
10-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Frame pacing problems - stutters

1. At Steam, try the public_beta of Soma. It's supposed to fix frame-rate issues.
2. Have you verified game files via Steam?
3. Disable all background applications (f.lux --> known to cause gamma resets, OSD from Afterburner etc, game boosters and stuff like that).
4. Try Adaptive or OFF vSync. In my experience with a 660 vSync was causing stuttering and Adaptive/OFF did not but there was screen tearing all over the place. In the end I just ignored it even though it was really annoying at times.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2015, 05:39 PM by plutomaniac.)
10-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Find
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

(10-18-2015, 05:39 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: 1. At Steam, try the public_beta of Soma. It's supposed to fix frame-rate issues.
3. Disable all background applications (f.lux --> known to cause gamma resets, OSD from Afterburner etc, game boosters and stuff like that).
4. Try Adaptive or OFF vSync. In my experience with a 660 vSync was causing stuttering and Adaptive/OFF did not but there was screen tearing all over the place. In the end I just ignored it even though it was really annoying at times.

1) Public beta does nothing for me, tried several times,

2) Verified many times as well a fresh download and install last night,

3) Yes I have tried numerous times with Afterburner not running and running - both result in stutter

4) Having Vsync on/off makes no difference

I'm going to post a vid soon to showcase the stutter.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2015, 07:00 AM by AUSSIEPATRIOT.)
10-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Find
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

New video now up to showcase the stutter.
10-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Can you attach that save file outside the curie ship to see if it happens to me too? Was this happening at other areas (before curie) or only now? When you close afterburner, the OSD goes away as well, right?
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM by plutomaniac.)
10-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

The short glitch/stutter in your first example looks like the stutter you could get with threaded optimization enabled in the nvidia control panel. This setting should be turned off by the game, but please make sure and check so it is not active.
10-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Website Find
Krelian Offline

Threads: 2

(10-18-2015, 05:39 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: 1. At Steam, try the public_beta of Soma. It's supposed to fix frame-rate issues.

any chance of getting this patch for gog users? i just checked with galaxy and there are no new patches.
10-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Find
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

(10-19-2015, 05:24 PM)jens Wrote: The short glitch/stutter in your first example looks like the stutter you could get with threaded optimization enabled in the nvidia control panel. This setting should be turned off by the game, but please make sure and check so it is not active.
I've always had threaded optimization off, as I've seen you and other devs suggest numerous times in many other posts.

(10-19-2015, 05:21 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: When you close afterburner, the OSD goes away as well, right?

Ofcourse it will, how else would I display on screen info?

I've also tried running my CPU at stock speeds, as I always run an overclock. But this also makes no difference. Stock or overclocked CPU the stutters are still there.

To the Dev's I want to point out something again. I mentioned briefly that the stutters are only there when I am moving or panning the camera. If I stay stationary and do not move or pan the camera I can maintain a solid 60fps. But as soon as I move, pan the camera, the drops are back.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2015, 11:17 PM by AUSSIEPATRIOT.)
10-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Find
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8

Does the stuttering happen on both outdoor and indoor levels?
10-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Find
AUSSIEPATRIOT Offline

Yes both indoors and outdoors. Ask whatever you desire, I will provide. I so want you guys (devs) to work out the stutters!...)
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 09:14 AM by AUSSIEPATRIOT.)
10-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Find