Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Old Games Freakin' Rock
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Old Games Freakin' Rock

My favorite super olda-game (Pre-2000 with 2D graphics) that has the most sentimental value for me would probably have to be Captain Claw

It is an amazing side-scroller with great gameplay as well as an extremely gorgeous setting. Oh man, dat setting, and atmosphere...I loved every second of it when I was a kid.

And that soundtrack. JUST LISTEN TO IT!!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM by Kreekakon.)
12-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

Nakidno has a point, also, I asked for 2006 Personally because i wanted to share some TSFP videos. in a way, im kind of sad that more recent "throwback" games such as Serious Sam III, Painkiller, Hard Reset, the forthcoming reboot of Rise Of The Triad (wich has the original thrown in FREE on steam) , ETC have not yet been allowed by the thread op. as well, id love to find out just how they managed to get those games published in an era were publishers wont look at anything "unrealiztik", so i can copy there moves and get my own throwback ip made.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM by the dark side.)
12-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

[Image: 5881353_700b.jpg]
12-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Doom series just went on sale on Steam. Got the Complete Classic pack for about $4. I'd say that's a successful bargain :3

- Ultimate Doom (Doom1?)
- Doom 2: Hell on Earth
- Master Levels for Doom 2
- Final Doom

Which is which??
12-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Find
the dark side Offline

"Ultimate Doom", aka Doom '95,. Aka "Thy Flesh Consumed", is Doom 1 plus an all new 9 level episode "Thy Flesh Consumed" on top of the 3 original episodes "Knee Deep In The Dead", "The Shores Of Hell", and "Inferno", that was created by ID and a special team created by Microsoft (including a young Gabe Newell) to showcase the advantages of Windows 95 (higher frame rate, better anti aliasing, smoother operation) and the new soundblaster awe64 soundcard over dos and the soundblaster 16 card.

Doom II is pretty obvious.

Doom II: Master Levels are a set of the very best user created levels for doom II, levels so good that the modders who made them were actually EMPLOYED by IDsoft and had there levels launched as an official add on for DOOM II.

Final Doom is ensentially the True "Doom 3" (the game titled Doom 3 was basically a survival horror style remake of Doom 1) and consists of 2 32 level episodes, "TNT: Evilution" and "The Plutonia Experiment" again, both started life as user created episodes, that so impressed ID that ID employed the modders (one of whom, at team TNT, was the notorious American Mcgee) and released there mods as full game. be warned, final doom is known for its sky high difficulty, so much so that easy on final doom is equivalent to Nightmare on Ultimate Doom.

also, 4 bucks! thats a STEAL just for "ultimate doom" getting the whole collection as well, thats practically legalised grand larceny! christ, steam sure spoils its users! bargin nothing statyk, its a bloody steal man! all you need now is Doom 64 and youll have the whole classic doom experience.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2012, 10:16 PM by the dark side.)
12-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Steam has wonderful sales, especially during the winter holidays. :D Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. Kinda neat hearing how they endorsed a few fan creations, as well as employed them. I'll be sure to give them a run soon!
12-31-2012, 03:08 AM
Find
the dark side Offline

No Problem Statyk, indeed, ID were a great company back in the day, sadly, i cannot see bethesoft allowing them to be so supportive of the modding community in future, wich is a shame. i could be were valve gets its modder support ideals though, as i said, Gabe Newel was part of the microsoft theam who worked with ID on Ulitmate Doom so, who knows, valve may be keeping ids legacy alive.

indeed, steam does have some great sales, i have used steam myself in the past, thanks to the fact it hosts most of the "throwback" titles wich are about the only recent titles i enjoy.

enjoy yourself man, Doom may be 2.5D, but, i still agree with reviewers who say its still one of the finest FPS games ever made. the music rocks, the sound effects are still fantastic, blowing those of multiple modern games out the building, the pacing is sky high, the gameplay is simple to pick up, but ultra challenging and highly addictive, and there is still an undeniable feeling of dread, even now... man, they dont make em like doom anymore, mores the pity.

First 2 levels of Ultimate Doom, episode 1 "Knee Deep In The Dead". On NIGHTMARE. give you a taste of the BLAST you are in for, trust me, Old Doom is Addictive!

oh, and younger users, please, no comments on the graphics, i know they have aged, but remember this game is 17 years old!
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM by the dark side.)
12-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

(12-31-2012, 08:15 PM)the dark side Wrote: First 2 levels of Ultimate Doom, episode 1 "Knee Deep In The Dead". On NIGHTMARE. give you a taste of the BLAST you are in for, trust me, Old Doom is Addictive!

oh, and younger users, please, no comments on the graphics, i know they have aged, but remember this game is 17 years old!

OMG I LOVE DOOOOMMMMMMM <33333333333333333333333333333333

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
01-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

i remember playing this all the time when i was a kid..

and i also remember the first time i saw the internet xD my mom showed it to me and was like "Don't you ever go there without my permission, there are viruses there that could attack you"

Me as a 5 year old kid (don't remember how old i was exactly), was all scared and like "wow that's scary"

edit: agree with traggeys post, i remember school when i was like in 5th grade the biggest thing to boast about was that you completed a game Big Grin

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013, 01:51 AM by Nice.)
01-07-2013, 01:49 AM
Find
Looglodex Offline
Banned

Threads: 0

Not really old, but also not the latest of good decent racing era:

01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Find