Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Improve the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yeah!
20.83%
20 20.83%
Nah lets forget about the game..
29.17%
28 29.17%
No, it's fine the way it is! (added by pluto)
50.00%
48 50.00%
Total 96 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 52 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Disappointed with AAMFP
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: How they ruined the game

I look for different things in a game. I respect anyone who prefers TDD because of the scares but I was disappointed by it.

I played through the Penumbra series and those games, specifically Black Plague, had good storytelling and an interesting story and universe while also being terrifying. TDD was just a scarefest (a well done scarefest) but the story was severely lacking for me.

It started all so well but then the environments tend to drag on and on and the once promising story just falls flat. In TDD's last hours I was forcing myself to play it, not because I was scared (which I was), but because I was just mostly bored and wanted to end it.

So yes, so far (still playing through AMFP), i'm enjoying AMFP a hell of a lot more.
09-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

It's just a different emphasis.. TCR emphasizes atmosphere and narrative. That's their take on the game.

And it's your fault for not knowing to be honest. TCR told us months ago that gameplay elements would be removed.
09-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

(09-13-2013, 02:36 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: It's just a different emphasis.. TCR emphasizes atmosphere and narrative. That's their take on the game.

And it's your fault for not knowing to be honest. TCR told us months ago that gameplay elements would be removed.

This... This man is wise! It's incredibly stupid how people criticize FG
when it's not produced by them.

- Inactive account -
09-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Find
Sanji202 Offline

Threads: 0

(09-13-2013, 02:31 PM)Zandrojakov Wrote: Aa sht another one of these...

1. Firstly: Why would the "lantern" run on oil when it is clearly electric.
Sure, they could have added batteries or something but if you think about the actual time the game takes to complete that would mean that these batteries would only last like 10-20 minutes, And I personally would not like to look for batteries all the time or simply ending up not using the "lantern" due to being afraid of running out of batteries.

Also the "lantern" plays a big role in the game so it is meant to be used...

2. The darkness mechanic in TTD was based on the protagonists fear of the dark. Mandus may not have suffered as much from darkness as he has probably been living in a quite dark world already...

3. Sure the monsters seemed a bit stupid I can agree on that, but they still served their purpose.
I think the health regeneration feature was excellent, no more annoying red blur all over the screen.
Also the monsters in AMFP seemed to be hitting much faster so if you'd get caught and trapped they would probably have killed you...

Also if you think this game so incredibly bad then I do not believe you understood what the game was actually about. It is not meant to be compared with TDD as it's not made by the same studio.

Put it like this.
Someone on the forum produces a custom story.
You then play it and think it's great!
You then pick another custom story.
And you think it sucks only because it didn't include all the features the other one did.
Do you realize how stupid this is?

So before posting a comment like this... Please analyze the game and then post a educated comment about why you feel a certain way...

Previously they promised the community a game that would make the "TDD veteran quiver in fear". That clearly is not what they have presented us with. Perhaps you disagree? Do you find this game scary at all?

I would be completely okay without these mechanics as long as it was a scary game, but it is not. Something is missing, and I believe it is these core mechanics from TDD. I am just telling you why I think the game is bad. And no.. there is nothing stupid about that.
09-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(09-13-2013, 02:40 PM)Sanji202 Wrote: Previously they promised the community a game that would make the "TDD veteran quiver in fear". That clearly is not what they have presented us with. Perhaps you disagree? Do you find this game scary at all?

I would be completely okay without these mechanics as long as it was a scary game, but it is not. Something is missing, and I believe it is these core mechanics from TDD. I am just telling you why I think the game is bad. And no.. there is nothing stupid about that.

I find the game more intellectually horrifying. In other words, just thinking about what the narrative is saying is really scary. Some crazy shit goes on behind the curtain, if you pay close attention. You don't always see it, but it's way more disturbing than what happens in TDD in my opinion.
09-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Find
Sanji202 Offline

Threads: 0

(09-13-2013, 02:44 PM)bluel0bster Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 02:40 PM)Sanji202 Wrote: Previously they promised the community a game that would make the "TDD veteran quiver in fear". That clearly is not what they have presented us with. Perhaps you disagree? Do you find this game scary at all?

I find the game more intellectually horrifying. In other words, just thinking about what the narrative is saying is really scary. Some crazy shit goes on behind the curtain, if you pay close attention. You don't always see it, but it's way more disturbing than what happens in TDD in my opinion.

Yes I agree, that seems to be what they have tried to do. I suppose that may scare some people. Im glad you enjoyed it. It is not for me though. I wanted scary gameplay. As it is, I would rather read a scary book.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM by Sanji202.)
09-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Find
Diango12 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-13-2013, 02:40 PM)Sanji202 Wrote:

Sure, they could have added batteries or something but if you think about the actual time the game takes to complete that would mean that these batteries would only last like 10-20 minutes, And I personally would not like to look for batteries all the time or simply ending up not using the "lantern" due to being afraid of running out of batteries.

2. The darkness mechanic in TTD was based on the protagonists fear of the dark. Mandus may not have suffered as much from darkness as he has probably been living in a quite dark world already...

3. Sure the monsters seemed a bit stupid I can agree on that, but they still served their purpose.
I think the health regeneration feature was excellent, no more annoying red blur all over the screen.
Also the monsters in AMFP seemed to be hitting much faster so if you'd get caught and trapped they would probably have killed you...

Also if you think this game so incredibly bad then I do not believe you understood what the game was actually about. It is not meant to be compared with TDD as it's not made by the same studio.

Put it like this.
And you think it sucks only because it didn't include all the features the other one did.

So before posting a comment like this... Please analyze the game and then post a educated comment about why you feel a certain way...

Previously they promised the community a game that would make the "TDD veteran quiver in fear". That clearly is not what they have presented us with. Perhaps you disagree? Do you find this game scary at all?

You're not stupid and you did give valid criticism, even though I do not agree that removing TDD mechanics ruined the game. I do think that marketing this game as an Amnesia title and not delivering Amnesia mechanics is a bad business practice that we as a game community must discourage.

I think a lot of the problems Aamfp faces is due to their own marketing. The teasers and trailers showed off a very different experience. The impression I got from one trailer where one of the pig monsters was tearing at a door while Mandus was cowering in the corner gasping and whimpering is just not this game post release.

So a lot of mixed and inconsistent messages to the fanbase and a post release that failed to deliver a horror game. The detractors mention mechanics as one of the problems and narrative as another. But if the supporters would stop deliberately shining a spotlight on the mechanics in the negative reviews they can be a little more honest and actually discuss some of the other gripes people raise.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 02:50 PM by Diango12.)
09-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

(09-13-2013, 02:12 PM)Sanji202 Wrote: ... why... how... how could they fail so hard with this game. All they had to do was keep all the mechanics from "The dark descent" and implement the new story and new environment. Apparently that was to much to ask.

This game had so much potential, but the following points ruined it all:

-The lantern now has infinite oil.

-Not that it makes much of a difference, since they removed the darkness mechanic. Your character no longer starts to shiver in fear after long periods in the dark.

-In addition, the enemies are pathetic. You can take several hits without dying. You will also regenerate health... YES... REGENERATE... this is not F#%&ING CALL OF DUTY.

This is a gigantic disappointment. Massive fail!

The lantern has an infinite light source and from memory some of the letters in the game allude to how that is.

As for the rest of your extraneous complaints it seems you have completely missed the point. Rather than complain about what has been removed why don't you see what this game is doing? It's purely story driven, it puts you in a position of complete exposure and uncertainty, it has a thought provoking story and as for the enemies I fail to see how it matters how many hits it takes for the player to die because once again, that's not the point. Your health can regenerate in TDD too by the way.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM by Tesseract.)
09-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Spoiler below!

(09-13-2013, 02:40 PM)Sanji202 Wrote:

Put it like this.

Could you please prove that they said that? I'd like to read that post.

Also I can agree on that the game wasn't even close to being as scary as TDD but that's mainly because ATDD was a completely new horror game with a whole different approach on the whole survive aspect.

Anyways the game had it's moments like when you see the monster in the tunnels below the church (made me scream).

Also you can not compare certain aspects and then judge the game based on these factors.
I have only seen a few people talk about level design, voice acting, realism etc.

And as stated before this is not TDD2 it's AMFP and there's a ton of things in this game which TDD lacked...

- Inactive account -
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 02:54 PM by Artyom.)
09-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers)

(09-13-2013, 07:09 AM)SurvivalHorror Wrote: What atmosphere is everyone talking about? The sound of pounding machinery and lack of chase music removed any type of a sense of dread brought about by suspenseful and terrifying music, a key element of scare factor in any type of game. This was a key element of TDD imo. Rich story? The lack of a twist and the painful predictability more like. The horror element was piss poor and the story average at best, not even gonna talk about the gameplay.

So the shrieking of pigs amidst the clanging of haunted machinery doesn't do anything for you? Huh.
09-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Find