Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Computer shuts down after some minutes
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: Computer shuts down after some minutes

It shouldn't but if he has problems with cooling it will certainly affect. But I believe it no longer is relevant as you're pretty sure he has overheating problems. I have to say it's one of the most annoying problems there is and not fixing it may ruin some expensive hardware. It certainly does reduce it's lifetime.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
05-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(05-30-2013, 09:09 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I live in germany, we have summer, but just 16°C or sth. it's not the weather;-)

It could be. If during the winter the temperature was 6°C then your cpu was 10°C cooler. So, if it was running at 90°C then now it would be 100°C (TJMax => shut down). I know it's not exactly like that due to room temperature but just saying. It does play a significant role.

(05-30-2013, 09:09 PM)Googolplex Wrote: That's what I already did before, but games still kill my PC.

I see you underclock your cpu etc... so you may have accidentally raised the voltage or something. Maybe something else. Try setting the bios settings to default so that possibility can be eliminated.

(05-30-2013, 09:10 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: I have to say it's one of the most annoying problems there is and not fixing it may ruin some expensive hardware. It certainly does reduce it's lifetime.

Yes, that's correct. It must be solved. You cannot let it reach TJMax all the time.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM by plutomaniac.)
05-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

do you smoke or have any house pets such as cats running around your computer? If so, i'd very much suggest that you thoroughly examine your fan if there's any cat fur in there or if you smoke in the presence of your computer there's a fair chance that there's a thick layer of (i dont know how it's called in english, its a yellowish thing) and its bad for your fan.

Other than that and the "clean your computer" i have no idea what might be causing this. My GPU used to be at 85°C when idle and around 100°C when playing games (in which case my computer BSOD'd a lot) and the only thing i did was i cleaned the fan and now it runs at 60°C on idle and 80°C when playing games.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013, 09:33 PM by Nice.)
05-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(05-30-2013, 09:14 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: I see you underclock your cpu etc... so you may have accidentally raised the voltage or something. Maybe something else. Try setting the bios settings to default so that possibility can be eliminated.

I did that by setting the multiplicator ftom 7 to 6. Max value is 8.5 (2,83 GHz). I didn't touch the voltage. The underclocking was just to see if that fix the issues, but it doesn't. My bios is as default now.

(05-30-2013, 09:32 PM)Dogfood Wrote: do you smoke or have any house pets such as cats running around your computer? If so, i'd very much suggest that you thoroughly examine your fan if there's any cat fur in there or if you smoke in the presence of your computer there's a fair chance that there's a thick layer of (i dont know how it's called in english, its a yellowish thing) and its bad for your fan.

Other than that and the "clean your computer" i have no idea what might be causing this. My GPU used to be at 85°C when idle and around 100°C when playing games (in which case my computer BSOD'd a lot) and the only thing i did was i cleaned the fan and now it runs at 60°C on idle and 80°C when playing games.

I don't smoke, I have a dog, but he never was in my room.
My GPU temperature is 50°C when playing games on max graphics.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013, 09:38 PM by Googolplex.)
05-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

There are some cpus that run hotter. This specific one I searched and it should operate between 70-75°C at load. No more than that. Newer generations run cooler. There could be other factors that cause problems:

A) Bad case cooling, more fans needed with correct airflow or bad cable management that does not let the heat get away.
B) Defected or malfunctioning power supply..

Can you provide us with a picture of your computer(inside of course, at & around the cpu area)?
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM by plutomaniac.)
05-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

I had the exact same problem about two years ago, but I'm not sure how I solved it. xD
But I'd recommend you to do something about it asap because overheating massively reduces the lifetime of your CPU and other components.

First, check if the fan runs properly. Does it get very loud/increase RPM if you play games, as it should if the CPU gets too hot? If yes, then theres probably something wrong with the thermal paste and you should replace it. I can recommend you "Arctic Cooling MX-2". It's cheap, easy to apply and works fine for me.

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
05-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

These have already been suggested numerous times I might say. It's my primary theory as well. Let's wait for Googolplex to reply first.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2013, 10:03 PM by plutomaniac.)
05-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

I finally did a CPU stress test with Prime95 and let my CPU burn 10 minutes over 96°C. The computer was not turning off. So, I think, it is not a CPU problem! Notice I'm just using a cheap cooler like the intel stock. But the CPU seems to be stable at 96°C.

In normal windows running, the temperature is about 65°C @ 2,17 GHz (underclocked).

But why my computer is turning off when I play a game?

I'm sure, it's also not the graphics card. I had the same problem with my old GeForce GTX 275, as I bought a new GTX 560 Ti, the problem still appears. It must be the power supply, or?

My power supply is a 550W BeQuiet!
Normally it sould be a good quality, but what could cause the problem?

When I buy a new PC, I'll also buy the Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste.
But I can't understand why my PC always turns off when gaming.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013, 06:49 PM by Googolplex.)
06-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

If with Prime95 it does not shut down then it's not the cpu cooling. I'm not saying that 96 is normal in any way but it's not what causes the problem. My guess would now be that the power supply is not enough. If it's old then it might has "lost some watts". Or it could be malfunctioning under heavy load. How old is it? Does it still have warranty?
06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(06-04-2013, 06:50 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: If with Prime95 it does not shut down then it's not the cpu cooling. I'm not saying that 96 is normal in any way but it's not what causes the problem. My guess would now be that the power supply is not enough. If it's old then it might has "lost some watts". Or it could be malfunctioning under heavy load. How old is it? Does it still have warranty?

The power supply is from 2009. Or a bit older. I bought my PC in 2009.
06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Find