Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Improve the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yeah!
20.83%
20 20.83%
Nah lets forget about the game..
29.17%
28 29.17%
No, it's fine the way it is! (added by pluto)
50.00%
48 50.00%
Total 96 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 52 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Disappointed with AAMFP
TheUnbeholden Offline
Banned

Threads: 5
RE: Disappointed with AAMFP

(09-24-2013, 01:10 PM)Dogfood Wrote:
(09-24-2013, 11:48 AM)TheUnbeholden Wrote: +Up the encounters by atleast 3-4
+Make the encounters difficult/challenging
+Add scary music when your chased
+Improve the enemy models slightly, perhaps blood streaks, snarling gaped mouth anything.

i disagree with every single point you made here

and this thread

The game is how it is, you dont like it, we get it, now please move on

I would not have brought it up if AMFP was slightly less scary... the reason why I say what I say is because it so completely out of ATDD league... its in a different ballpark.

(09-24-2013, 02:49 PM)Kein Wrote: "But but.... muh expectations!"

Well, they are yours, do whatever you want with them.

chineseroom set those expectations up with a misleading trailer. Not to mention we waited so long for a Amnesia game, why should we settle for anything less than perfection..

(09-24-2013, 12:19 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I'm going to say what most people (including me) said in the forums.

Different developer, different goal.

Since it's a different developer, they have different goals. Who's to say that sequels can't be the same as the first? Besides, ATDD emphasizes on SURVIVAL HORROR, while AAMFP emphasizes on PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR.
See the difference here?

Yes, boredom vs being scared of a monster coming after you, being paranoid, being in danger...

Walking around forever reading papers, pulling levers without any challenge whatsover vs hiding, sneaking around, slowly going crazy..

They where moderatly successfully at building character and empathising with the damaged character.. but if they do nothing but tell and never show then they have failed at the very simplest concept of horror.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 05:11 PM by TheUnbeholden.)
09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Quote:chineseroom set those expectations up with a misleading trailer. Not to mention we waited so long for a Amnesia game, why should we settle for anything less than perfection..
You know what, you are right, what a retard am I. TCR and FG totally responsible for your own interpretation of few seconds of WIP material. After all, you imagined new TDD in these short clips and how dare these developers release something else.

You made the right choice, man, by avoiding demanding the refund and going directly to the forums with your complains, backed up by strong and grounded arguments, that lack any personal opinion or subjective judging.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM by Kein.)
09-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

Threads: 0

(09-24-2013, 12:19 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Besides, ATDD emphasizes on SURVIVAL HORROR, while AAMFP emphasizes on PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR.

AAMFP had neither of those things.
09-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Find
Blue Machine Offline

(09-09-2013, 11:38 PM)GOAT Wrote: This game is starting to look like crap compared to Outlast
Hell yeah! Big Grin
Outlast = Survival Horror
AAMFP = Fairy Tale

[Image: IWmDqxA.jpg]

[Image: Ree6LNP.jpg]
:( AmNeSiA a MaChInE fOr DeAr EsThEr :(
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM by Blue Machine.)
09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Find
Atwa Offline

(09-24-2013, 07:39 PM)Blue Machine Wrote:
(09-09-2013, 11:38 PM)GOAT Wrote: This game is starting to look like crap compared to Outlast
Hell yeah! Big Grin
AAMFP = Fairy Tale

Its so ironic that you praise Outlast then post that picture, cause with that way of thinking it should be placed right next to A Machine for Pigs in the picture.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 10:13 PM by Atwa.)
09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Find
Pig Offline

Threads: 1

Saying AAMFP is "Fairy Tale" or that it doesn't have anything to do with horror is idiotic. It has numerous horror elements in both the story and in the scenery as well. The game uses numerous horror and mystery elements throughout the whole game, and you obviously don't know a thing about the genre if you're saying otherwise.

Not all horror is like TDD just like not all horror movies are like Nightmare on Elm Street. TDD, AMFP, and Outlast are pretty much the equivalent of playing a horror movie. Those three games all fall under the same genre, which is horror, but utilize it differently. Just because it isn't what you expected or wanted doesn't mean it's something different, because it isn't. They all follow a similar idea of game play, which is putting you as the main character in a scary situation that you must figure out on your own. TDD is not purely survival horror and it isn't the best game that falls under that sub genre either. In fact, one could even could even compare it to something like a Haunted House walk through at a theme park (and that goes for Outlast too).

A lot of you talk about how AMFP is SO linear and all this nonsense, yet a lot of you also think a very linear way when it comes to analyzing the game and why it was made the way it was. Frictional Games was fully aware of what they were releasing and that says a whole lot. There was only 1 Amnesia game before AMFP, so there was not a set "way" or style that Machine HAD to have and you really shouldn't have expected anything from the game besides a dark atmosphere, a story, and monsters that scare you.

Also, Outlast is incredibly repetitive and loses it's scariness about halfway through the game and it also relies on a lot of scripted scares. I played it before I played Machine and I found Machine maintained it's tension for a majority of the game. Also, Outlast is EXACTLY like AMFP when it comes to types of missions you're doing. You pretty much know exactly what to do and where to go. With that said, Outlast is awesome and you should check it out if you really enjoy games like Amnesia (and if you're not a little sour puss about everything when it isn't exactly what you pictured).
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 10:31 PM by Pig.)
09-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(09-24-2013, 07:39 PM)Blue Machine Wrote:
Hell yeah! Big Grin
AAMFP = Fairy Tale

All aboard the butthurt express!

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 11:00 PM by Nice.)
09-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-24-2013, 06:46 PM)The Raining Brains Wrote:
(09-24-2013, 12:19 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Besides, ATDD emphasizes on SURVIVAL HORROR, while AAMFP emphasizes on PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR.

AAMFP had neither of those things.

Proof? Oh wait, you don't need any - your opinions are more than enough.
09-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Find
Quizerno Offline

Threads: 1

As stupid and blunt as Outlast is, it at least has a mechanical understanding of horror. That much can't be said of AMFP
09-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

I know I'm late to the party here (stupid job and biological need for sleep) and probably can't add much to what's already been said, but truthfully OP, a lot of us that loved the game have dealt with the same arguments over and over, on this or other forums. It gets old, having to repeat and repeat oneself on the same points.
I see a lot of 'well it had the Amnesia title on it, it must be the same', as if the Amnesia series is a long established series with a particular idiom. It isn't. Let them try new ways of approaching horror instead of the same formulaic, warn out cliches.
Personally, psychological horror appeals infinitely more to me than horror that is all shock and jump scares (I find it rather cheap).
In the end, I'm probably not going to persuade anyone who has clearly made their mind up. I love the game, as well as its predecessor. Oops.
09-25-2013, 03:10 AM
Find